Seeking the perfect black watch

Thread: Seeking the perfect black watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seeking the perfect black watch

After collecting many watches of all different price ranges, I've finally decided what I think I want for my everyday watch. A while back someone actually posted about a watch like this but I can't find the post and don't remember at all what the watch was.

I would like to find a watch that is black, very rugged, preferably reliable automatic, bright lume (or having some means to read easily at night), with metal band, and hopefully not crazy expensive, but I'm willing to look at different price ranges.

Does anyone have any suggestion? I would be grateful and I hope that someone can help me.

Re: Seeking the perfect black watch

Quote Originally Posted by deepdrop View Post
    After collecting many watches of all different price ranges, I've finally decided what I think I want for my everyday watch. A while back someone actually posted about a watch like this but I can't find the post and don't remember at all what the watch was.

I would like to find a watch that is black, very rugged, preferably reliable automatic, bright lume (or having some means to read easily at night), with metal band, and hopefully not crazy expensive, but I'm willing to look at different price ranges.

Does anyone have any suggestion? I would be grateful and I hope that someone can help me.
    Seiko SBDC013: http://watch-tanaka3.sub.jp/seiko/SBDC013/

If it needs to be rugged to withstand wear to the finish I would avoid anything just labelled as PVD; this has become a generic term for black coated watches, but is not a coating, it is a means of applying a coating material for the desired effect, even gold.

For black, look for a DLC coated watch such as the Steinhart Ocean Black DLC: Taucheruhren · OCEAN BLACK DLC - Steinhart Watches

Diamond Like Carbon is one of the toughest coatings applied by the Physical Vapour Deposition coating process, with a hardness equivalent to sapphire on the moh scale.
    Last edited by peakay; March 6th, 2011 at 19:38.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Sinn 656.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

the Panerai 317 is the perfect black watch. in my opinion.
    even has a black DLCd movement

Name:  luminor,montre,panerai-657f61460e07e20e0423593744d0a33a_h.jpg
Views: 8518
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by zekio; March 6th, 2011 at 19:56.

Seiko does a few models with the black ion finish, not sure how many have automatic movements though. I terms of ruggedness, Sinn might feature on your list with the 656S and other models with their black tegiment coating, depending on your budget. I have found that many black watches only come on leather or rubber though, I guess to keep costs down. If you can stomach this, your choices may widen to Fortis, Oris or perhaps a PVD coated Hamilton Khaki Field, which has recently appeared in the UK and is very reasonable: Hamilton Watch | The American Brand Since 1892. Doxa offer a model in the same kind of bracket as the Fortises: DOXA SUB 5000T Military Edition Sharkhunter by DOXA watches, SWISS MADE WATCHES since 1889|
    I'm afraid without a specific budget however, these may be over your budget but are only suggestions.
    At the possibly less rugged end, a suggestion for aesthetic reasons would be a Perrelet Turbine: Perrelet SA: Collection Homme. Again, perhaps above your budget but a stunning looking watch.
    At the silly end of the scale, you could always consider a Project X customised Rolex Submariner! PROJECT X DESIGNS: LUXURY WRISTWATCH CUSTOMIZATION
    Happy hunting!

panerai do a nice black one, as pictured above
    iwc aquatimer also maybe

Quote Originally Posted by zekio View Post
    the Panerai 317 is the perfect black watch. in my opinion.
    even has a black DLCd movement

Name:  luminor,montre,panerai-657f61460e07e20e0423593744d0a33a_h.jpg
Views: 8518
Size:  44.1 KB

Beauty! And a steal at 30K!

Thank you all for the responses. There were some stunning recommendations! Unfortunately, I probably was misleading in the way I worded my initial post. Yes, I'd like the "perfect" black watch, but for now can't afford it. A nasty divorce will do that to one.

So for now, I guess I'll forgo some of the incredibly elegant beautiful pieces of art and reword my query. I'm looking for a rugged black watch that can be worn daily and has good enough lume that I can see it throughout the night. I'd definitely like to spend under $1000. I realize I won't be getting a top of the line watch in that price range by any means, but I would be happy if it met my criteria. It doesn't have to be slim or elegant. Reliable, tough, bright. Maybe the Seikos would be a good place to look. Any model recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdrop View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. There were some stunning recommendations! Unfortunately, I probably was misleading in the way I worded my initial post. Yes, I'd like the "perfect" black watch, but for now can't afford it. A nasty divorce will do that to one.

So for now, I guess I'll forgo some of the incredibly elegant beautiful pieces of art and reword my query. I'm looking for a rugged black watch that can be worn daily and has good enough lume that I can see it throughout the night. I'd definitely like to spend under $1000. I realize I won't be getting a top of the line watch in that price range by any means, but I would be happy if it met my criteria. It doesn't have to be slim or elegant. Reliable, tough, bright. Maybe the Seikos would be a good place to look. Any model recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Seiko SBDC013: http://watch-tanaka3.sub.jp/seiko/SBDC013/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information