Seiko 5 50th Anniversary question
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Seiko 5 50th Anniversary question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko 5 50th Anniversary question

Hey Cats,

I've been watching this line for a bit now and like what I see. The model I'd like to add to the collection is in the 415 series of model numbers but I'm bothered by the fact that another but same model which is in the 413 series comes in at 25% less.

The 415 series is made in Japan but the 413 appears not to be. Is the quality that much better being made in Japan or is it a sales angle?

The two watches are the same model, look exactly the same etc but I'm having a hard time reconciling the cost difference.

415 series

413 series

If you like to offer any opinions on this I'd appreciate it as it's almost time to pull the trigger on this piece.

Thanks for the read folks

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from the inner reaches of my mind.
    Last edited by Preston; May 13th, 2014 at 09:04.
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Re: Seiko 5 50th Anniversary question

Anybody?

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from the inner reaches of my mind

Like many Seiko 5 models, there are "J" and "K" variants of these two models: SRP413J, SRP413K, SRP415J, and SRP415K. The "J" say "Made in Japan" on the dial while the "K" do not, but there's no difference in quality between the two. Many speculate that they designations are just to differentiate which market they're sold to. Additionally, to qualify for "Made in Japan", a watch and its movement only need to be assembled in Japan. It's probably that all parts come from the same factories outside of Japan for lower end Seikos.

Creationwatches sells SRP413J: Seiko 5 Sports Automatic SRP413J1 SRP413J SRP413

EDIT: Reread your post and I think I misunderstood it a little. The 413 is the white dial model. I'm guessing someone mislabeled a 415 as 413. Actually, the second one you posted may be a 411 - black dial with gold hands and markers. Hard to tell. Either way, no difference between them in quality.

(Thanks for catching my typos Domo)
    Last edited by Citizen V; May 19th, 2014 at 04:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Like many Seiko 5 models, there are "J" and "K" variants of these two models: SRP413J, SRP413K, SRP415J, and SRP415K. The "K" say "Made in Japan" on the dial while the "J" do not, but there's no difference in quality between the two. Many speculate that they designations are just to differentiate which market they're sold to. Additionally, to qualify for "Made in Japan", a watch and its movement only need to be assembled in Japan. It's probably that all parts come from the same factories outside of Japan for lower end Seikos.

EDIT: Reread your post and I think I misunderstood it a little. The 413 is the white dial model. I'm guessing someone mislabeled a 415 as 413. Actually, the second one you posted may be a 411 - black dial with gold hands and markers. Hard to tell. Either way, no difference between them in quality.

Thanks for your very detailed input. Looks like I'll be able to get the less expensive of the two with great confidence!

The model numbers were taken from the site I'm going to buy the watch from. Dial colours and so forth made no difference in the pricing they have listed so I'm in agreement as it will make no difference.

Hoping to share some wrist shots of my choice soon

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Preston; May 19th, 2014 at 01:24.

While the J versions of Seiko watches almost always sell at some premium I have yet to see any evidence that they are any higher quality than the K versions. That said I must admit when given the choice in the past I have usually gone for the J version, if nothing else they hold more resell value and are generally easier to move.

Looking forward to the wrist shots - that watch interests me.

Like many Seiko 5 models, there are "J" and "K" variants of these two models: SRP413J, SRP413K, SRP415J, and SRP415K. The "K" say "Made in Japan" on the dial while the "J" do not, but there's no difference in quality between the two. Many speculate that they designations are just to differentiate which market they're sold to. Additionally, to qualify for "Made in Japan", a watch and its movement only need to be assembled in Japan. It's probably that all parts come from the same factories outside of Japan for lower end Seikos.

Great info.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for your very detailed input. Looks like I'll be able to get the less expensive of the two with great confidence!
    The 413 is definitely the white-dial version of that watch, regardless of what the picture shows. Make sure you're ordering the correct watch. If they actually send you a 413, it won't be the watch you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    The 413 is definitely the white-dial version of that watch, regardless of what the picture shows. Make sure you're ordering the correct watch. If they actually send you a 413, it won't be the watch you wanted.
    Indeed!

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from the inner reaches of my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Like many Seiko 5 models, there are "J" and "K" variants of these two models: SRP413J, SRP413K, SRP415J, and SRP415K. The "K" say "Made in Japan" on the dial while the "J" do not, but there's no difference in quality between the two.
    I thought it was the other way around. I have a SNZG13J1 that says 'Made in Japan' on the dial while the SNZG13K1 does not.

Regardless, there's no difference in quality either way. I think that the J and K versions have a different second language on the day wheel. I only buy the 'J' versions and they all have Arabic as the second language, whereas the 'K' versions I've played with in the jewellers have had French, but that could be a model-by-model thing based on distribution and not true for all watches. YMMV.
    Citizen V likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information