Seiko 5 SNK793K and Bands
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko 5 SNK793K and Bands

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko 5 SNK793K and Bands

Hey everyone! I'm new here and have just developed an interest in auto watches. I particularly like the Seiko SNK793K as it is at a great price and looks awesome. Would really appreciate some advice with my first watch :)
    • Is this the best automatic entry-level watch at this price range?
    • Does anyone have own this watch here? (please feel free to post pictures!)
    • I'm not a fan of bracelets and would like a leather band on the watch. However my wrist has a circumference of 6 inches and am not sure what size to order?

Thanks a lot guys!

Re: Seiko 5 SNK793K and Bands

There's probably no such thing as a "best" watch at any price category. Too much of this watch stuff is subjective. Having said that, the entire Seiko 5 range is excellent for mechanical watches in the $50-200 price range. In general, they're tough, look good, and will last for many years. You might also have a look at Orient watches. They are held in fairly high esteem around here, too. As for band length, a 6-inch wrist will (I think) take a "short" band (nominally, 110mm/70mm).

My wife owns these:

Name:  TSB Seiko 5s.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  183.4 KB

I own these:

Name:  SNZJ models.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  115.5 KB

For under $100 these Seiko 5's are probably the best bang per buck watch you can get. The only thing that sucks about them is the bracelets (Folded links on the cheaper models).

For a 6" wrist i would say a band that is about 180mm long and under, not incl. the buckle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I highly recommend the Seiko SKX. Best bang per buck.

Thanks for your response! I really like the look of the watch on the left that your wife owns. Do you know what band that is?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to hear! I've read great reviews on the Seiko 5's. Also aware of the cheap bracelets. Do you know any good leather bands that would fit my wrist? Thanks!
    ajbutler13 likes this.

As ajbutler13 rightly said, it's pretty subjective. It also depends on how you personally feel about things like risk etc.- the seiko 5 is probably the safe option, since it's known to have good QC etc.., but if you're willing to take on a bit more risk (not that much if you buy from e.g. Amazon with its decent return policies) you can sometimes get "better" watches which might have a movement which hacks and handwinds and which comes with a half-decent strap or bracelet stock (e.g. invicta pro diver or one of the chinese mushroom brands).

Also, it's quite dependent on what country you're in- the Seiko 5s are better value some places than others, they seem pretty good value in the USA, but in the UK, for example, while still pretty good value, they're probably not just as cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Juclaq View Post
    I highly recommend the Seiko SKX. Best bang per buck.
    Gotta disagree buddy. The skx has the same movement as a $70 Seiko 5. Also all the quality control issues on that watch i would have to say the Orient Ray/Mako 2 is a better watch overall and it's cheaper in price.

Can't go wrong with a Seiko5 or SKX. If looking for a diver, I'd go SKX and you can find them on sale around $170 every so often. The 5 bracelets are generally terribly cheap as you may expect, so leather is the way to go. 6" would qualify as 'short' for most standard straps.

Order the SNK, you will adore it. Very good bang for the buck.

As for a leather strap my vote goes to either Esslinger or Amazon. You can get a decent leather strap for $20ish to start with and see what style and color you find you like the most. Then you can get a higher quality for your final choice. Don't forget to order a Spring Bar Removal Tool as well! I'd think you can get out the door for 30 bucks at either site. $70 for the watch and $30 for a band makes for a great watch for $100!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody36327 View Post
    Order the SNK, you will adore it. Very good bang for the buck.

As for a leather strap my vote goes to either Esslinger or Amazon. You can get a decent leather strap for $20ish to start with and see what style and color you find you like the most. Then you can get a higher quality for your final choice. Don't forget to order a Spring Bar Removal Tool as well! I'd think you can get out the door for 30 bucks at either site. $70 for the watch and $30 for a band makes for a great watch for $100!
    Hey Woody, thanks for your response! I've been looking for bands that would fit my wrist (110/70mm) with no luck yet on Amazon. Not sure why I can't find anything, maybe because I'm in Aus. Really want to order the watch but need to decide on a strap first!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information