Seiko Alpinist SARB017 - boatload of fakes?!? - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Seiko Alpinist SARB017 - boatload of fakes?!?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Seiko Alpinist SARB017 - boatload of fakes?!?

So is it okay to buy from Amazon? They are $418.

China counterfeits everything these days. They even fake board games. If they're going to do that with something under $100, then a SARB Alpinist is high in the realms of possibility.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

-sweating-

How do you know these are fake? I bought one off ebay a while back.

haha

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    So long story short:
    - I have some saved searches on eBay, for the purpose of trying to (re)acquire an Alpinist, as I've owned one for most years since 7-8 years ago when I got more serious about automatics, and Japanese ones in particular
    - last year they announced they're discontinuing it which promptly raised prices sky-high (like at least 2x what I used to pay for one from Seiya-san or Tanaka, which was about the $300 mark.
    - now about a month or so ago, my saved search notifications for these (I had it set at $350 for new) went haywire with hundreds and hundres being sold by various sellers in the US, and described as "no box" "refurbished with new parts", "as new" etc.

Who exactly would sit to refurbish so many Alpinists and where would they get this sudden huge stash of watches to restore/refurbish? To make matters worse, these sellers seem to be mostly newish, selling just these watches or some cheap perfumes probably to pad-up their feedback scores.

My BS/nonsense alerts have been ringing high as soon as I've seen these listings, coupled with the SARB017 having a solid caseback which means its likely very few or none of those many positive feedbacks left for purchases are from unassuming buyers.

Or could I just be a bit paranoid as usual?

Have a look for yourself:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbished...X/312855659957
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbish-S...n/352704379163
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t=nc&_udhi=275

P.S. Some of the listings for which I received notifications in prior weeks have already been terminated as no more stock or ended by seller. But as you can see in the above, these are selling like hotcakes, 10s per day, which is expected as this 250 USD price is about as low as it ever got in the heydays for one, albeit these don't have a box.
    These do not seem fake to me - what part of the watch is throwing you off?

Maybe the fact they are selling with no boxes or paper and less than half the going price? Also the fact that one seller has sold 308 of them on eBay alone (see the listing details). Where are all these "refurbs" coming from? They seem to have a really steady supply from the second-hand market.
    Also, they may be good at faking watches but manuals, boxes and papers might not be their speciality. But hey, call it a "refurb" and you can excuse the fact you didn't provide them.
    What's that saying? If something is too good to be true...

And apparently, they do (allegedly) fake even Seiko 5 watches. The primary market for these are Asian customers on low wages.

https://quartzimodo.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-seiko-watch/

I'd stay away from any Seiko that wasn't being sold by a reputable seller and didn't come with full box and papers.
    Last edited by Earthjade; 2 Days Ago at 01:32.
    Zeroedout likes this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Maybe a bunch of "investors" are panicking now that the new improved Alpinist had been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    Maybe the fact they are selling with no boxes or paper and less than half the going price? Also the fact that one seller has sold 308 of them on eBay alone (see the listing details). Where are all these "refurbs" coming from? They seem to have a really steady supply from the second-hand market.
    Also, they may be good at faking watches but manuals, boxes and papers might not be their speciality. But hey, call it a "refurb" and you can excuse the fact you didn't provide them.
    What's that saying? If something is too good to be true...

And apparently, they do (allegedly) fake even Seiko 5 watches. The primary market for these are Asian customers on low wages.

https://quartzimodo.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-seiko-watch/

I'd stay away from any Seiko that wasn't being sold by a reputable seller and didn't come with full box and papers.
    Interesting,

I was thinking that the recent re-release of the alpinist might be driving the price down.

Quote Originally Posted by Doninvt View Post
    Maybe a bunch of "investors" are panicking now that the new improved Alpinist had been announced.
    But that wouldn't explain them selling without boxes and papers and labelling them as "refurbs".
    If they were hoarders and speculators, they'd be selling with those things added.
    In addition, they wouldn't be selling at half the price. Everyone knows that when you speculate on places like eBay, you just need to be cheaper than everyone else by a dollar.
    In the worst case, you may cut $50-$100 to try and move stock quicker, but I wouldn't say any more than that. It's still a genuine Seiko product you have after all and the new models are going to be more expensive than the originals.
    Last edited by Earthjade; 2 Days Ago at 02:37.
    Zeroedout and Synequano like this.

“.....Condition: Seller Refurbished. (we buy these authentic watches and refurbished them ourselves by replacing the WATCHBAND and CASEBACK with brand new original parts).....”

I’m no expert, but this alone makes no sense to me. These guys bought hundreds of authentic sarbs....and each and every one of them had to be refurbished exactly the same way; by replacing the strap and the case-back with “authentic” parts?

I mean, it seems to me that there are so many contradictions and red flags in that one statement that I wouldn’t give it a second look.

But again, I’m no expert.

I'll bet that every one of these "refurbs" will also come with perfect, unscratched cases.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information