Is Seiko the answer ...
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Is Seiko the answer ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Based in South east asia, travelling between

Is Seiko the answer ...

To everything?

Seems like whatever question is asked to recommend a watch, be it dress watch, work watch, tough watch, what watch to deliver a baby and buy a house at the same time, there's got to be a seiko involved. In fact there is really no situation where a seiko is not appropriate.

Is this good or bad? What are your thoughts? Will I be happier to retire my swiss watches for a seiko and be done with?

No flame please, i want to know your experience after getting a seiko, did it cure this bug? Is it the end all watch?

Random pics
    Attachment 1016795

Attachment 1016796
    CCCP likes this.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Re: Is Seiko the answer ...

No, speedmaster professional is the answer ALWAYS!

Seriously though seiko make fantastic watches which easily match the swiss alternatives at generally more competitive prices. For those reasons they are always an option and always a good one too.

Banned

It's not always the answer, but I think they're often recommended, because they make such a variety, varying from very inexpensive to pretty high end. They make a little bit of everything. They're well respected, at least to most watch collectors, they're high quality, despite they're price tag, anything from their $100 Seiko 5's, to their $3000 Grand Seiko's, to their $400,000 Credor's. Even their sub-$1000 watches are on par with some watches that are 2-3 times the cost. No matter who you are, and what you want in a watch, they have something that could be considered.
    Last edited by EvoRich; March 21st, 2013 at 15:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moved from MN to SC early 2006. Love it here in SC

Is Seiko the answer ...

Not even close. While they make excellent watches at any price level, there are so many other brands. I could never confine myself to even 5 brands, let alone one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The good life in Murrells Inlet SC!

I don't think I can say it better than EvoRich did. Seiko isn't always the answer but it's very often something to consider. I like Seiko a lot but I couldn't ever confine myself to one brand.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    It's not always the answer, but I think they're often recommended, because they make such a variety, varying from very inexpensive to pretty high end. They make a little bit of everything. They're well respected, at least to most watch collectors, they're high quality, despite they're price tag, anything from their $100 Seiko 5's, to their $3000 Grand Seiko's, to their $400,000 Credor's. Even their sub-$1000 watches are on par with some watches that are 2-3 times the cost. No matter who you are, and what you want in a watch, they have something that could be considered.
    Yeah - pretty much this - no other maker has such variety (JLC is a close second). There's only 1 Rolex that I like (Sub), 1 Omega etc, but loads of Seikos that I really want - especially the one at the top of this page - absolute beauty!
    440saw and Morethan1 like this.

Seiko as a company produces enough different watches that they could literally have the answer to almost any "which watch would work for this" question. But preference plays a key role here. Just because the watch meets the desired specifications on paper doesn't mean that it will win the hearts of the potential buyer. Looks certainly matter and that's always subjective...

Personally, I have come to repect the company more than almost any other out there.

EDIT: Oh and I have to say that the price to value ratio is excellent no matter which model you're looking at. Once you've been educated about what all goes into a Seiko, you can't help but start to feel the prices are justified, even for a Grand Seiko. My whole opinion of them changed when I joined WUS and learned their movements are in-house and they make their own cases, lume, oils, etc. Whoa! Talk about being invested in your product! Couple that with their MIMS parts design process, the ridiculous R+D that went into bringing the Spring Drive to market in a viable fashion, etc, and there's just an awful lot to be impressed with. I don't remember what the name of it was, but I read an article on WUS linked by a member that detailed how Seiko used to compete in the...uh...can't remember the name of it!! It was basically a Chronometer worldwide accuracy competition that took place in the 60's or 70's I think? The Swiss were always represented and usually quite well, but when Seiko decided to get serious and started beating the Swiss at the competition, year after year, they stopped holding the event entirely. Now its just "COSC" certified and Seiko even has better ratings than that on some of their watches. They are basically thumbing their nose at the Swiss and doing it very very well. On top of all that, they do it very competitively on pricing too....

Sorry, it was a long edit, LOL. Had a lot more stream into my mind after I hit "submit reply" the first time...
    Last edited by sirgilbert357; March 21st, 2013 at 16:08.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Well, this Seiko Hi-beat is my all time grail so that's that. It also looks 10 times better in motion when light shifts through the dial and the 3D dial markers.
    You just can't go wrong with it, plus it's not ridiculously overpriced like most Swiss watches...
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Quote Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
    Seriously though seiko make fantastic watches which easily match the swiss alternatives at generally more competitive prices. For those reasons they are always an option and always a good one too.
    I would agree with this if you are talking about the higher end Seiko movements. The NE15, 6r15, 7s26 etc are, as my watchmaker calls them, crude movements. You would be hard pressed to compare entry level Seiko watches to entry level Swiss watches with ETA movements. Don't get me wrong, I own a Seiko Sumo which now has the NE15 in it and it keeps pretty decent time but I wouldn't say that it's on par with an $800.00 Swiss watch. Steinhart comes to mind, it's pretty tough to beat that brand dollar for dollar.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

I often recommend seiko (which i own 4 of) to people that ask because,
    1) It is a brand that i'm confident that they will find something they like in.
    2) It is a brand that also won't fail them the first year and make me look like a fool for recommending it.
    3) It is a brand that i think most people can afford.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information