Seiko: Band China (Seiko Premier Automatic)
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Seiko: Band China (Seiko Premier Automatic)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko: Band China (Seiko Premier Automatic)

I am not saying the Made in China means inferior quality but the following comes a wee bit as a shock:

WATCH TALK FORUMS - REVIEW: The Seiko Premier Automatic>>>>>>>

Scroll down to image #9: "Stainless Steel-2, Band China"

I would never have thought Seiko has production facilities in China. Sure one could argue they are honest at last.

Re: Seiko: Band China (Seiko Premier Automatic)

Even Omega apparently produces bracelet links in China, so it's perhaps not altogether surprising that Seiko does the same. In any case, the standards for a product being labeled as "Made in Japan" are quite opaque and seem to be quite lax. As I recall, it only requires that the production process is subject to Japanese inspectors on-site, even if the production plant is not physically located in Japan. The K vs J labels for entry level Seikos is said to be due to the different labeling requirements of the countries where they're eventually sold, as opposed to any difference in where they are produced.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

meh, who cares? ive seen some crazy hot chicks that were made in china

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Uhrentraeger View Post
    I am not saying the Made in China means inferior quality but the following comes a wee bit as a shock:

WATCH TALK FORUMS - REVIEW: The Seiko Premier Automatic>>>>>>>

Scroll down to image #9: "Stainless Steel-2, Band China"

I would never have thought Seiko has production facilities in China. Sure one could argue they are honest at last.
    Why should outsourcing some parts in the process of manufacturing a watch be a wee or not so wee shock in this day. Hopefully you realize the practice of outsourcing is a common and effective way of controlling costs. Most consumer products made today have parts from many Asian and other locations. No big deal. It's the reputation of watch makers to design, manufacture, deliver and back up their watches that is important. Not who made the parts or where they were made.

Ever look at where all the parts that go into a "German", "Swedish" , "American" or "English" car are made?
    Last edited by John MS; July 26th, 2015 at 00:01.
    hiro1963 and rfortson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Even Omega apparently produces bracelet links in China, so it's perhaps not altogether surprising that Seiko does the same. In any case, the standards for a product being labeled as "Made in Japan" are quite opaque and seem to be quite lax. As I recall, it only requires that the production process is subject to Japanese inspectors on-site, even if the production plant is not physically located in Japan. The K vs J labels for entry level Seikos is said to be due to the different labeling requirements of the countries where they're eventually sold, as opposed to any difference in where they are produced.

Timezone Seiko moderator James Dowling: Is it true that “products are generally allowed to be stamped with Made in Japan if they are produced outside the national boundaries as long as they are manufactured in a wholly owned Japanese firm where the work is overseen by Japanese nationals?”

Seiko: No. As in most countries, the designation of ‘Made in Japan’ can only be used if strict rules have been adhered to. We only use the designation ‘Made in Japan’, if the movement and the complete watch has been assembled in Japan.

Seiko Responds to TimeZone's Seiko Forum by JAMES DOWLING | TimeZone

To the OP, of course Seiko has facilities in China. Almost all Seiko Corp. products ARE made in China. Most of the internationally marketed lineups with quartz movements like Premier, Sportura, Velatura, etc are cased in China, and with a Japanese made movement. Most of the automatic models in those lineups like that Premier in the linked article are made in Japan. If it has a non-Japanese made movement then usually the whole thing is made in Malaysia.
    Uhrentraeger, mleok and kf3506 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Timezone Seiko moderator James Dowling:Is it true that “products are generally allowed to be stamped with Made in Japan if they are produced outside the national boundaries as long as they are manufactured in a wholly owned Japanese firm where the work is overseen by Japanese nationals?”

Seiko: No. As in most countries, the designation of ‘Made in Japan’ can only be used if strict rules have been adhered to. We only use the designation ‘Made in Japan’, if the movement and the complete watch has been assembled in Japan.

Seiko Responds to TimeZone's Seiko Forum by JAMES DOWLING | TimeZone

To the OP, of course Seiko has facilities in China. Almost all Seiko Corp. products ARE made in China. Most of the internationally marketed lineups with quartz movements like Premier, Sportura, Velatura, etc are cased in China, and with a Japanese made movement. Most of the automatic models in those lineups like that Premier in the linked article are made in Japan. If it has a non-Japanese made movement then usually the whole thing is made in Malaysia.
    Thanks for the clarification, there is a lot of contradictory information online on this issue.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Seriously? Don't you know? When you start your sentence with a disavowal, it pretty much means you ARE saying exactly that.

Jay zuss, man, wake up.* Everything is made everywhere now. And most of that in China.

* - Unless you are just finishing high school and have no idea how modern global economy works.
    topol and watch_hor like this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

not a secret.. news about strikes in seiko factory in china before.. check their plants in malaysia as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Seriously? Don't you know? When you start your sentence with a disavowal, it pretty much means you ARE saying exactly that.

Jay zuss, man, wake up.* Everything is made everywhere now. And most of that in China.

* - Unless you are just finishing high school and have no idea how modern global economy works.
    No, I do not think so. Just took delivery of a pair of road overshoes from Shimano. Based in Japan, Shimano is one of the biggest bicycle equipment manufacturer in the world (I think they also do fishing kits). It says "Made in Taiwan".

It did not give me second thoughts and I do not expect all the Shimao stuff as being Made in Japan. My road carbon frame is Made in Taiwan and I am under no illusion to expect a road frame these days being engineered and produced in Europe.

Btw: I wish I were in high school live would be so much easier.

I was always under the impression a Seiko (and Citizen) is exclusively made in Japan, except for sourcing the raw material.

No, I do not think so. Just took delivery of a pair of road overshoes from Shimano. Based in Japan, Shimano is one of the biggest bicycle equipment manufacturer in the world (I think they also do fishing kits). It says "Made in Taiwan".

It did not give me second thoughts and I do not expect all the Shimao stuff as being Made in Japan. My road carbon frame is Made in Taiwan and I am under no illusion to expect a road frame these days being engineered and produced in Europe.

Btw: I wish I were in high school live would be so much easier.

I was always under the impression a Seiko (and Citizen) is exclusively made in Japan, except for sourcing the raw material.
    Edit: One of my work colleagues in my office is Chinese and was trying to convince me my Seiko is a China fake. And do my best to persuade him my Seiko is not a fake. I mean who would fake a cheap Seiko.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information