Seiko, Citizen, made in China?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Seiko, Citizen, made in China?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Seiko, Citizen, made in China?

Hello watch friends, I will not let go of my clock virus and will buy me in the next time a Seiko or Citizen. Question: Are the watches of these brands really still made in Japan or even in China? I have a disturbed relationship to Chinese politics and therefore avoid purchasing Chinese products for years, as far as possible. With the purchase of Japanese products or products from democratically-led countries, I have no conflicts of conscience.

Thanks for answers, greetings, Bterence

Re: Seiko, Citizen, made in China?

Many Seiko are made in Malaysia and Thailand. The high end, high cost Seiko are still made in Japan.

most swiss watches are made in china (including some luxury ones,not the high end ones though) watch case, crowns, bracelets, clasp probably 80 percent of the parts are made in china, then its assembled in china (sometimes).

60 percent of the Cost most come from Swiss, so thats the movement and a quality check by a person in Switzerland.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mike70sk View Post
    most swiss watches are made in china (including some luxury ones,not the high end ones though) watch case, crowns, bracelets, clasp probably 80 percent of the parts are made in china, then its assembled in china (sometimes).

60 percent of the Cost most come from Swiss, so thats the movement and a quality check by a person in Switzerland.
    In order to be called "Swiss Made", the movement needs to be cased (installed) in Switzerland. So final assembly of the watch cannot happen in China (or elsewhere) in a "Swiss" watch. Cases, bracelets, etc may be made outside of Switzerland.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by Bterence View Post
    Hello watch friends, I will not let go of my clock virus and will buy me in the next time a Seiko or Citizen. Question: Are the watches of these brands really still made in Japan or even in China? I have a disturbed relationship to Chinese politics and therefore avoid purchasing Chinese products for years, as far as possible. With the purchase of Japanese products or products from democratically-led countries, I have no conflicts of conscience.

Thanks for answers, greetings, Bterence
    Welcome to the world of globalized manufacturing. If you look closely at the majority of watches made today you will find they use some components that come from China. Some watches originate in China. The same holds true for electronic consumer products.
    rfortson and timefleas like this.

pick up a Grand Seiko and it is all Japanese
    Or RGM watch for good old American manufacture
    Or Rolex for 100% Swiss

Outside of those and few similar - there is a good chance that some part of work is done in China.
    Actually a number of Seikos are made mostly in Japan, and some in Malaysia and few other places. But hard to get 100% definitive answer on the content and source of work.

On the other hand, while I understand the sentiment, reality of global economy is that many goods are made across the globe (iPhones in China, Toyotas in US, Ford in Mexico, etc). So boycotting country goods may not be feasible (may require extensive research before each purchase) and may not do much to impact that country or it's government.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Banned

I think most seiko's are still made in japan

Do you mind if the steel comes from China? That would rule out about half of all goods for sale worldwide even before you consider other reasons not to buy something. That is a tough rule to have to live by!

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Welcome to the world of globalized manufacturing. If you look closely at the majority of watches made today you will find they use some components that come from China. Some watches originate in China. The same holds true for electronic consumer products.
    Yep, really hard to tie your politics to your purchases these days, unless you scratch it out of the ground yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Yep, really hard to tie your politics to your purchases these days, unless you scratch it out of the ground yourself.
    Some one would still be offended.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information