Seiko...Made in China???
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Seiko...Made in China???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seiko...Made in China???

So I just picked up my new Astron SSE053, and noticed something quite unusual. The watch caseback states the usual Made in Japan:

Until you look at the bracelet:

Notice anything unusual? Last I checked, China ain't Japan. And in case you're wondering, the bracelet that goes on the Ananta in the background states "Japan" on it.

Pretty interesting since I thought both the watch and bracelet were made in Seiko's Astron factories located exclusively in Japan.

Aside from this strange anomaly, it's an otherwise gorgeous watch, so I can't really complain:

Re: Seiko...Made in China???

Not unusual at all IMO. I wouldn't worry about it. Some very popular Swiss watches such as from Omega costing some thousands use bracelets and probably other parts like cases and casebacks fabricated in China. Probably respect Seiko more for being completely open about. Hamlton is one other brand clearly using parts from China.

Seiko have many factories in China, and cases and bracelets get made there for sure. I've opened many Seikos to see "China case" on the inside.

As for the watch itself, It's beautiful of course!! I'm not sure what's happening with Astron production at the moment. They were originally hand made at Shiojiri along with the Spring drives and GSs but they did mention that production capacity was well beyond peak and they were working on mechanised production for the Astrons. I have noticed that the newer ones have perfectly applied lume, while the older ones have the trademark lume painted on by that one blind guy at Seiko who seems to work on all the high end Seikos with lume.
    Tomas472 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I do believe that some Seiko parts are made in Malaysia (correct me if wrong). It's common for a watch to have parts made elsewhere. Hell made in swiss watches have chinese parts in them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    I do believe that some Seiko parts are made in Malaysia (correct me if wrong). It's common for a watch to have parts made elsewhere. Hell made in swiss watches have chinese parts in them too.
    AFAIK, even some of their basic movements are made in Malaysia and Singapore.

even American dream is made in China these days...
    wuyeah and CO5 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    Not unusual at all IMO. I wouldn't worry about it. Some very popular Swiss watches such as from Omega costing some thousands use bracelets and probably other parts like cases and casebacks fabricated in China. Probably respect Seiko more for being completely open about. Hamlton is one other brand clearly using parts from China.
    do you have an Omega watch that says its cases and parts / bracelets are "made in china"?
    I do have an Omega bracelet and clasp and watch itself, and every part clearly says it is swiss made. The bracelet actually was bought from third part supplier and it came with declaration which showed its country of origin - and guess what Swiss made.

so save you a hassle of googling I am aware of that spare part of the bracelet (spare link!), since which automatically every Omega is supposed to be made in China - it is just as stupid to say as to claim that all GS are made in china based on the picture in OP's post. Think about it!

as for OP - funny, I thought many (most?) cheaper Seiko watches are made in China?!

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I have noticed that the newer ones have perfectly applied lume, while the older ones have the trademark lume painted on by that one blind guy at Seiko who seems to work on all the high end Seikos with lume.
    Name:  sfd1.png
Views: 3930
Size:  195.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by duffin123456 View Post
    even American dream is made in China these days...
    LOL....you are right! Consider the debt to China, indeed this is true.

My Citizen Nighthawk is the same. Case said Made in Japan, bracelet said Made in China.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information