• 3 Post By samanator
  • 1 Post By CitizenM
  • 3 Post By Nokie
  • 3 Post By sticky
  • 3 Post By Alex_TA

Thread: Seiko MM 600 Spring Drive GMT VS Omega PO 8500

Cool Seiko MM 600 Spring Drive GMT VS Omega PO 8500

Hi all,

I want your guys' opinion on which one to choose in term of future resale value. Currently, i can fetch MM600 and PO8500 for roughly the same price (Omega is abt 500 USD more expensive). What do you think? Thank you very much for all the helps.

Re: Seiko MM 600 Spring Drive GMT VS Omega PO 8500

I'd go with the PO. I'm assuming you're not looking to treat this watch badly I.e actually dive with it. If that's the case I just find it easier to beat up a seiko than an omega... Might be some prejudice there.

The omega is definitely the prettier of the two. Not saying the MM is ugly but it looks likes so many other dive watches e.g Rolex . I also like the Italian styling of 6-9-12 on the PO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    philanderer likes this.
    SMB

Grand Seiko SBGA125 'Blizzard' | Titoni Cosmo King | Seiko SNZG13 | Seiko SKX009 | Victorinox Mech. Officer Day-Date | Marathon GSAR | Orient Mako

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Seiko MM 600 Spring Drive GMT VS Omega PO 8500

This would be hard for me also since I have the Seiko and the PO GMT ( and have owned the 8500 PO). The Seiko has a TI case and bracelet, so it's better balanced (thePO GMT is better than the standard PO, but no match for the Seiko). Both are very tall, so neither fits under a shirt cuff very well. The Seiko SD may be the only watch that can beat the Omega for accuracy, to the point it is just off the chart accurate when you start using single digit figure per year. The Seiko also has a superior power reserve by 12 hours. The Omega has double the service interval and more location to get the watch serviced. Both are are very well finished, and while the Seiko has a micro adjust clasp it is starting to look dated against the latest crop with this feature. The Seiko has a neat bevel on the crystal edge, but the Omega has more variety in color choices. The omega has a scratch resistant ceramic bezel insert. I'm not a fan of the arrow tip Omega hands, and actually prefer the SMP hands. I guess if the fact that the Omega retails for 2.5 times the Seiko price does not discourage you both are solid choices. If I may add given the PO price you could almost get the MM600 and a ceramic Seamaster SMP and have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by samanator; May 13th, 2014 at 18:26.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    This would be hard for me also since I have the Seiko and the PO GMT ( and have owned the 8500 PO). The Seiko has a TI case and bracelet, so it's better balanced (thePO GMT is better than the standard PO, but no match for the Seiko). Both are very tall, so neither fits under a shirt cuff very well. The Seiko SD may be the only watch that can beat the Omega for accuracy, to the point it is just off the chart accurate when you start using single digit figure per year. The Seiko also has a superior power reserve by 12 hours. The Omega has double the service interval and more location to get the watch serviced. Both are are very well finished, and while the Seiko has a micro adjust clasp it is starting to look dated against the latest crop with this feature. The Seiko has a neat bevel on the crystal edge, but the Omega has more variety in color choices. The omega has a scratch resistant ceramic bezel insert. I'm not a fan of the arrow tip Omega hands, and actually prefer the SMP hands. I guess if the fact that the Omega retails for 2.5 times the Seiko price does not discourage you both are solid choices. If I may add given the PO price you could almost get the MM600 and a ceramic Seamaster SMP and have the best of both worlds.
    Great summary.

I (call the press) actually prefer the PO. It's the only dive watch out there that I've consistently liked over the years. It's more playful than a Submariner or GS, and now (I suppose arguably the 2500 too) it has a movement that can back it up. I also like that I can see the 8500 in the PO...the SD in the Seiko is too good not to be looked at.
    philanderer likes this.

Had the 8500. Very nice watch.

Still have my Spring Drive, outstanding watch.
    CitizenM, philanderer and Biggles3 like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I would go for the Seiko over the Omega.

Resale value of Omega will be higher. The quality is another question ;)

Thread Information