Seiko Monster 4R36 Movement
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko Monster 4R36 Movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WWT

I just picked up a Seiko Monster SRP311 as a weekend watch. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and appearance of this relatively inexpensive automatic.

Being new to collecting, I am questioning the need for a watch winder. I purchased a watch winder for my Omega PO. However, I don't know if it makes any sense to purchase a watch winder for the inexpensive Seiko, when the winder will cost almost as much as the watch.

I guess my question is will it be harmful to the 4R36 movement to simply let it run down, stop, and then start it up again and reset the time on a regular basis. Or should I keep it operating?

Any input will be appreciated.

WWT

Re: Seiko Monster 4R36 Movement

Welcome!

Nice pair you have there. Firstly I don't begrudge spending good money on a nice strap etc for an inexpensive watch: my appreciation of each piece isn't really linked to its MSRP. So if you want a winder then go for it. As to whether or not you do in fact need one - whether they're necessary - is entirely up to you - it has been debated lots here and it's personal choice, though I believe that generally more people here don't have them and get on just fine.

WWT

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I used to let my watches run down and just reset the time/date when I wear it again. But after trying to use a winder, my watches seem to run with a lower variance in time keeping when kept ticking on my winder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I want to be a ONE watch guy!!

I might just be old school, but even on my Grand Seiko or Omega I just let them run down if I don't plan on wearing them for awhile. Since the 4R36 is handwinding anyway, it's not hard to get going. Not like the old 7S26s or entry level Orients where you have to like shake or wear the watch for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Welcome!

Nice pair you have there. Firstly I don't begrudge spending good money on a nice strap etc for an inexpensive watch: my appreciation of each piece isn't really linked to its MSRP. So if you want a winder then go for it. As to whether or not you do in fact need one - whether they're necessary - is entirely up to you - it has been debated lots here and it's personal choice, though I believe that generally more people here don't have them and get on just fine.
    +1

Winders are intended to keep them going and to avoid the movement getting plastered, therefor prolonging the life of the caliber and spending less in service.
    With this being said, it would be IMO more suitable for expensive pieces. The seiko 4R36 is a workhorse, dont worry about the movement or its service costs.

My Blog http://www.horologiaprima.com
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art! (O.Wilde)

I agree with Geoff that it's a matter of personal choice. I just let my autos run down and give them a bit of life as and when I wear them. IMO winders are best suited for watches with complications that are a pain to set.
    Tseg likes this.

For me, a winder is a matter of convenience only. When I'm out of winder space, though, my 4R36 Monster is among the first to go without.

There are philosophical arguments about the use of winders, with passionate (and sometimes persuasive) arguments on both sides. That way lies madness.

Rick "whose values convenience without respect to the cost of the watch" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; May 13th, 2014 at 19:55.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

The seiko 4R36 is a workhorse, dont worry about the movement or its service costs.
    Yup.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information