Seiko Quartz LC Restoration
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko Quartz LC Restoration

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Seiko Quartz LC Restoration

Hi All,

Im looking to restore my recently inherited Quartz LC back to its former glory and use it and enjoy it for as long as possible.

Any tips, advice or links to where i can find parts would be a great help. as you can see below the watch is working but has suffered over the years due to daily use and extensive heat with it being in the UAE (hot hot hot).

Name:  03022012403(1).jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  133.4 KB

Any advice is better than none! thanks in advance

Re: Seiko Quartz LC Restoration

Great watch! I have the gold filled version...one of my favourites. The degraded polarizing film in the display can be replaced if you're handy and up to taking your watch apart (and some Seiko modules are more difficult/nerve wracking than others). If you're not into it, try talking to some of the members on the Digital Watch Forums (especially in this discussion):
    • View topic - Psychadelic Seikos

They can help or at least point you in the right direction. I have a couple of other Seiko LCs with the same issue, but not bad enough for me to worry about it yet. Yours doesn't appear to be that bad...proceed carefully.

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for the link, this should be a good place to start , these guys sound like they have had pleanty of their own experiences with this type of watch

I see what you mean about the polarising film, however this only seems to be 'visable' in the photograph lol, the watch itself is displaying strong bold digits on what appears to be a pretty clear screen (despite the surface scratches) in the natural daylight so i dont think its that bad.

I have had it apart already and treated it to a damn good clean (very carefully i might add), everything looks to be ship shape inside and even the buttons still work fine without any siezing so i think i'll just concentrate on the cosmetic side of things for now i.e. the heavily dulled case and screen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow..that's a classic digital. I think that after the crystal is polished it will look 60% better.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Wow..that's a classic digital. I think that after the crystal is polished it will look 60% better.
    Thanks John, Im gonna try and rectify all the dings and scrapes and bring it back to a respectable condition. it will never be new again but i want to give it a second lease of life and enjoy it for as long as i can

Quote Originally Posted by RediJedi View Post
    Thanks John, Im gonna try and rectify all the dings and scrapes and bring it back to a respectable condition. it will never be new again but i want to give it a second lease of life and enjoy it for as long as i can
    I hope you will post pics when it's done! It deserves a good makeover; the modules in most of these vintage Seikos are built very well, so you should be get many more years out of your watch.

Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

I will post some pics of the process and a before/after when im done might be a few weeks yet tho.

Well, after some elbow grease, a minor mishap and a little wait i have finally finished getting the old Seiko back into shape (apologies for the long post).

Deconstructed and cleaned each component, although for its age it was very clean internally and needed little work,Name:  10022012481(1).jpg
Views: 631
Size:  51.9 KB

Went down the route of polishing out the scratches in the crystal myself only to drop it onto a tiled floor when it was finished....doh!, I was not a happy bunny!Name:  10022012484(2).jpg
Views: 603
Size:  70.6 KB

Managed to source a NOS crystal which made me happy again,
    Name:  14022012496(3).jpg
Views: 592
Size:  78.6 KB

Strap and case were prepped and brush finished to eliminate the majotity of the scratches and refresh the look whilst i waited on the crystal to arrive,Name:  14022012502(4).jpg
Views: 604
Size:  51.0 KBName:  14022012512(5).jpg
Views: 575
Size:  47.0 KB

Also a pair of new spring bars and today the reconstruction was complete, heres a before and after shot.....

Name:  before.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  134.1 KBName:  after.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  100.7 KB

Heres its new home ......Name:  Wristshot tweak.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  48.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by RediJedi; February 18th, 2012 at 19:48.
    camit34 likes this.

Wow some difference! Nice!
    Did you brush the case and bracelet yourself? What did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Wow some difference! Nice!
    Did you brush the case and bracelet yourself? What did you use?
    Thanks, Im very pleased with the result and look forward to wearing it whenever possible.

Brushing on this watch was pretty easy as this dosent have any complicated patterns and is a nice simple form/shape.

As there werent any heavy marks or scratches on the strap I used contour pads (same as a scotchbrite pad) to bring the strap up to a nice clean finish, I started with a heavy grade and finished with a medium grade, this didnt take long.

Name:  contour pads.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  83.2 KB

For the case i used 400grit wet and dry to achieve the same brushed texture as the original and remove the major dints and scrapes the watch suffered over the years, then i lightly finished with 800grit wet and dry. if you wet the paper the effect will be smoother but its really a case of trying it out on a test piece first before you decide which finish/technique will match best. I also used a sanding block to ensure the pressure was dissipated evenly across the board.

Name:  wetndry.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  76.7 KB

The important thing to note when sanding is to make sure you only sand in one direction so as to get a nice uniform brushed pattern (be sure you are at the correct angle and use a guide if you have to). if you sand both ways you dont get the same effect!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information