Seiko SARB 065 'Cocktail Time': Possible to replace Hardlex w. Sapphire?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Seiko SARB 065 'Cocktail Time': Possible to replace Hardlex w. Sapphire?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Seiko SARB 065 'Cocktail Time': Possible to replace Hardlex w. Sapphire?

In a moment of weakness earlier today I was seconds away from pulling the trigger on the forever haunting Seiko SARB 065. The only thing that held me back is that I know I eventually will want to replace the hardlex with sapphire. I assume that this is doable, but I wanted to confirm that this is indeed possible on this watch, and get some sense of where I would source the sapphire crystal or who does the replacement. Thanks a lot for your help!

Name:  $T2eC16FHJHQE9nzEyJQ+BRWe+)vIm!~~60_3.JPG
Views: 6010
Size:  84.5 KB
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Re: Seiko SARB 065 'Cocktail Time': Possible to replace Hardlex w. Sapphire?

Surely, someone has wanted to do this before...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Why? Hardlex is awesome in its own right. Adds a vintage charm to this piece, I think.
    Watchnik and eddiea like this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think a lot of us Cocktail Time owners enjoy the look of the watch with its old school Hardlex crystal, and aren't too troubled by the durability. I may be wrong, but I suggest there aren't too many SARB 065 owners who wear this watch more than a few days a week. Perhaps that's why there's not a huge demand for sapphire out there....
    BusyTimmy and G00dband like this.

Duplicate post
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

The Hardlex on my Cocktail Time is not a problem for me. It looks great actually! I think it would be expensive to source a sapphire crystal that has the same dome shape.
    Last edited by G00dband; June 23rd, 2013 at 16:34.
    Matt

The crystal is very doomed - replacing it will be very expensive.

This replacing crystals work on cheap Chinese customized watches like Parnis - the retailer can order it for you at an extra cost. I have read reviews of sarb were people mention it is possible but none actually did it - is more a WIS legend.

the problem with the Cocktail Time is it has a very doomed crystal - manufacturing a sapphire like this will be more expensive than the watch itself - only luxury brands like Grand Seiko can afford such crystals.
    G00dband likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Surely, someone has wanted to do this before...
    This is the first thread I recall. Sure the original crystal can be replaced with one made of sapphire by any good watch repairman. However understand that the vintage look of that watch will change if a flat sapphire crystal is used. I haven't seen a replacement sapphire crystal that approximates the shape of the original.

I'm not seeing any benefit from making that swap.

You could e-mail Yokobies and ask him ([email protected]). He offers a variety of sapphire replacements for the commonly-modded Seiko models, including crystals with giant domes.

That said, have you ever actually scratched a hardlex crystal? If not, you might be giving this more thought than it deserves. I've never even managed to scratch a Seiko 5 crystal, and the stuff on the SARBs is supposedly better.

Some pics to help you spend some $ ;)

Name:  Nikon_1.jpg
Views: 6530
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0004.jpg
Views: 6653
Size:  139.4 KB
    Matt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information