Seiko SARB033 or Sinn556i/Collection advice
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Seiko SARB033 or Sinn556i/Collection advice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi watchuseek!

I'm looking for some advice and your thoughts on the direction in which I should take my watch collection. So far I've got my trusty SKX, Glycine Airman no. 1, Rolex Datejust 1601 and my Grandad's Omega chronostop.

I want to change my collection up a bit, but keep the same amount of pieces, approximately 4-5. The watches I will be keeping are my SKX and my Grandad's chronostop, mostly because of sentimental value. I don't wear the Omega very much, but it is too special to sell.

The plan so far is to sell my Datejust and replace it with a Submariner, then sell the Glycine and either replace it with a Seiko SARB033 or the Sinn 556A or i. My logic behind this is my SKX would be my beater watch, I would have the Sarb or the Sinn as my dressy sports watch, and the Submariner as my everyday watch.

The big question: Which would you do, have the seiko sarb or the sinn? Which fits best in the collection? I know the price ranges are completely different, but to me they serve a similar purpose as being dressy/sporty. I don't like dress watches at the best of times, so a dressy/sporty watch is as close as I'll go

Any other suggestions are always encouraged and appreciated!

Pictures: What I currently have, followed by the collection with the Sarb, followed by the one with the Sinn. (Photos might be a bit blurry but I hope the point gets across)

Name:  IMG_1605.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1604.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1602.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  91.5 KB
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Re: Seiko SARB033 or Sinn556i/Collection advice

I personally like the look of the sarb over the Sinn. I also think the sarb is a bit dressier than the Sinn, which would fit in your collection better since your other two are more casual.

You must be really itching to try the Rolex Submariner on for size because your current assemblage looks tough to beat in my opinion. It would be a shame to get rid of the Datejust which looks so very nice and the SKX007 remains an iconic beater to juxtapose it. Is it your thought that the Datejust is too fine as an everyday wear watch? (or is the pull of the Sub that strong?) Maybe just keep Granddad's Omega for sentimental reasons and purchase the ultimate go anywhere do anything Rolex, the Explorer I and call it a day? (or is the pull of the Sub that strong?)

As for the Seiko and the Sinn..... they would ultimately become unloved and unworn if I owned them and was in your position of having an heirloom Omega and a SKX beater, not to mention a Rolex daily wear whatever that might be. I am not a SARB fan and I know I am being judgmental having never owned one but I am in the camp that display casebacks on low tier watches are ludicrous.
    MIKE

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the SARB fits better in your proposed collection as the Sinn is too toolish IMO. I however would suggest a different brand, primarily as you already own a Seiko and personally, I’d rather go for more brand diversity. There are lots of similarly styled watches out there

An out of the box suggestion - have you considered vintage pocket watches? I've got a collection of railroad watches that is very satisfying to look at and use. Beautiful movements, very accurate. I especially love the engraved initials inside the watch case, showing the times the watch was brought in for regulation for use on the railroad and who did the work. You hold an actual piece of important history in your hand with one of these and it gives me a good feeling that I'm keeping them working for the next generation to enjoy.

Any thoughts on getting something with a light dial as your "dressy sports watch" (or just keeping the datejust)? I think you lose a ton of diversity IMO by going with 3 black dialed watches.

Sinn and Sub, with the SKX in support, is great trio. Gotta go 556i
    Brucemduncan and ShanDon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phildo23 View Post
    I personally like the look of the sarb over the Sinn. I also think the sarb is a bit dressier than the Sinn, which would fit in your collection better since your other two are more casual.
    Great advice, thank you. Still not too sure how "dressy" I want to go
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Quote Originally Posted by Heljestrand View Post
    You must be really itching to try the Rolex Submariner on for size because your current assemblage looks tough to beat in my opinion. It would be a shame to get rid of the Datejust which looks so very nice and the SKX007 remains an iconic beater to juxtapose it. Is it your thought that the Datejust is too fine as an everyday wear watch? (or is the pull of the Sub that strong?) Maybe just keep Granddad's Omega for sentimental reasons and purchase the ultimate go anywhere do anything Rolex, the Explorer I and call it a day? (or is the pull of the Sub that strong?)

As for the Seiko and the Sinn..... they would ultimately become unloved and unworn if I owned them and was in your position of having an heirloom Omega and a SKX beater, not to mention a Rolex daily wear whatever that might be. I am not a SARB fan and I know I am being judgmental having never owned one but I am in the camp that display casebacks on low tier watches are ludicrous.
    Yes, the pull for the sub is strong! I don't wear the Omega ever.. it just sort of sits there haha. Still won't sell it though, just nice to have. The reason I want to flip the datejust is because it's vintage. I thought I would appreciate vintage but the truth is I just don't like it; it feels too fragile, lume doesn't work and it feels too much like a dress watch and not a sporty dress watch.
    Heljestrand likes this.
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Quote Originally Posted by Manchuri View Post
    I think the SARB fits better in your proposed collection as the Sinn is too toolish IMO. I however would suggest a different brand, primarily as you already own a Seiko and personally, I’d rather go for more brand diversity. There are lots of similarly styled watches out there
    Very true! Just a personal thing really, I've put a lot of thought into narrowing it down to choosing between these two. Thanks!
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information