Seiko SARB033 Spirit or Certina DS1 Automatic??
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seiko SARB033 Spirit or Certina DS1 Automatic??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seiko SARB033 Spirit or Certina DS1 Automatic??

Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase a classic black face automatic soon. I LOVE the Tag Carrera Automatic:

Name:  tagfront3wc4.jpg
Views: 22807
Size:  521.8 KB

BUT unfortunately its a bit out of my price range at the moment. I think the mrs would leave me if I spent £1450 on watch at this current time.

SO I'm look at slightly cheaper alternatives. I've narrowed it down to these two, which I think in terms of aesthetics are very similar:

Seiko SARB033 Spirit

Name:  s_sarb033j.jpg
Views: 35381
Size:  124.4 KB

Certina DS1

Name:  certina-ds1-automatic.jpg
Views: 58493
Size:  71.9 KB

I've found that the Seiko is quite easy to come by on the web, however I am unable to find one here in the UK so would have to purchase abroad and pay import duties. The cheapest I've seen it for is around £285.00 on seiyajapan.com. I'm not entirely sure what the customs charge would be to get it into the UK though.

The Certina is alot rarer as I'm sure alot of you know. Its quite a bit more expensive than the Seiko at around £450 from a UK retailer.

I originally wanted to go straight for the Seiko, but then I came across the Certina and now I'm not so sure.

The Seiko looks good and has had some reassuring praise on this very forum. Unfortunately, although I love watches I'm not a massive expert. I've come across several automatic Seikos, some expensive and some really cheap. I appreciate that Seiko is a great brand and manufacturer of watches, I own a Seiko Arctura Quartz Chrono which I love. Too much choice is leaving me a bit bewildered.

I'm edging towards the Certina for a couple of reasons:
    • Swiss made
    • Exclusivity

I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me. I am willing to pay up to £500. If I win the lottery next week then I will go straight out and buy the Tag!

Thanks.

Re: Seiko SARB033 Spirit or Certina DS1 Automatic??

The Certina has more of the look of the Tag than the Seiko but I have to confess to having no experience of the brand.
    I'm actually looking at getting the white dialled model of the Seiko at the moment so I'm probably a bit biased. I've owned 2 other watches in the SARB range and they've both been excellent value for money. Really nicely made and designed and the 6R15 movement is rock solid.
    Duty wise I'd bank on about 20% and you should have a bit of change.
    keytujd likes this.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

On the other hand you could save for a little longer, maybe flip a watch or two and buy the Carrera. IMHO you'll be happier in the long run.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    On the other hand you could save for a little longer, maybe flip a watch or two and buy the Carrera. IMHO you'll be happier in the long run.
    Hi, thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately, I'm not a great saver!! I am quite tempted by Goldsmiths interest free credit option though, well worth considering.

May I ask where you are planning on getting your Seiko SARB033? I've had a good look on the internet and the cheapest I could find it was about £285.

Cheers.

This is the actual Tag I want, slightly different dial:

Name:  WV211BBA0787_front.jpg
Views: 23909
Size:  40.4 KB

If I get one it will either be from the Sales forum here or from one of the big 3 Japanese dealers (Seiya, Higuchi or Chino).
    If you're confident there's no danger of your circumstances changing an interest free credit option isn't a bad way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    If I get one it will either be from the Sales forum here or from one of the big 3 Japanese dealers (Seiya, Higuchi or Chino).
    If you're confident there's no danger of your circumstances changing an interest free credit option isn't a bad way to go.
    99% sure my circumstances will stay the same!

They offer credit ranging from 6 months to 3 years, I'd personally like to keep it to around a year. Wouldn't really like spending 3 years paying for a watch!

Another option you might consider is the Sinn 556. It has a slightly more functional look than the Tag and is German rather than Swiss but is certainly exclusive (there are only 2 dealers in the UK).
    I have its sibling the 656 and it's an amazing watch. Slightly over budget but worth every penny.

£550 on leather.
    Swiss Watches - Bell & Ross, Bremont, Oris, Sinn, Baume & Mercier)

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Obsessive View Post
    99% sure my circumstances will stay the same!

They offer credit ranging from 6 months to 3 years, I'd personally like to keep it to around a year. Wouldn't really like spending 3 years paying for a watch!
    If it's the same one Watches of Switzerland offer (and I think it is) then you can settle the full balance at any time without paying a fee.

IIRC... the finish on the Tag was a quantum leap above the Seiko and Certina.

1. The glare on the black Seiko Spirit is pretty bad. Check if the Certina has an AR coating. Although the Tag doesn't have AR-coating, it skirts the issue with a well-designed double-curved sapphire crystal (to reduce glare). I think both the Seiko and Certina have flat sapphire crystals.
    2. You'll be happier with the strap models as the clasp on both bracelet models (Seiko and Certina) contains folded metal. (Compare the fold-over clasp and push-button release to that of Tag Heuer and Omega).
    3. Check if the display back on both watches is sapphire or mineral crystal. I think the Seiko has mineral crystal. The metal clasp on the strap or bracelet can scratch a mineral crystal back.
    4. I think (maybe I'm wrong) that the Seiko has luminescent hands and hourly markers whereas the Certina does not.

btw... The old Tag Carrera shown in the OP has hourly luminescent markers that are missing in the newer version.

edit: I mispoke on the Certina. I'm told that it's a simple folding clasp with a safety.
    Last edited by dkouzou; March 20th, 2011 at 17:41.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information