Seiko SARC015 and Zenith Defy (large images!) ...
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Seiko SARC015 and Zenith Defy (large images!) ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    v76

Picture Seiko SARC015 and Zenith Defy (large images!) ...

I apologize for the poor clarity of the pics, these were images were captured at night. Shall try to take some during the day ...

Very happy with both the watches - got the Seiko because I wanted a 6R20/21 powered movement, and that dial really drew me in.

Got the Zenith because I love the funky late '60s/early '70s vibe of that Defy - just a wonderful case and dial design. Also, didn't have any cal. 25xx in my collection (this defy has the PC2562 - a later version, the PC2572, which Zenith is resurrecting in its "new" Port Royal line!).

Last edited by v76; December 13th, 2011 at 01:54. Reason: formatting
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Re: Seiko SARC015 and Zenith Defy (large images!) ...

Nice looking funky Zenith you have. I really like the big crowns they used on some of their 1970's watches. I'm not familiar with the Seiko. Is the 6R20 a derivation of the 6R15?
    Last edited by John MS; December 13th, 2011 at 00:24.
    CitizenM likes this.

v76

John, the movement is the cal. 6R21 which is also in a couple of Ananta models. It's a 28,800bph, 29 jewel, handwindable movement with seconds hack - has a PR, day and date display. The 6R24 is similar, but the day and date are both retrograde displays for that movement (exclusive to the Ananta, I think).
    CitizenM likes this.
    Collection:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 6R2* movements are technically derived from the 6R** which are technically derived from the 7S**. The layout of the movement is the same, but nothing else is. I think that the 6R15 does use SPRON, which is carried over into the 6R2*, but the jewel counts, power reserve, complications, BPH, dial layout and decoration is different. Essentially what I'm saying is that the 6R15 can be seen as a natural evolution of the 7S, but the 6R20, 21 and 24 are so different that I'd probably just give them a whole new designation. The SARC actually uses the 6R21, and the Seiko Premier Automatic uses the 6R20....I think

Anyway, beautiful, gorgeous Seiko.

Banned

beautiful Seiko, too bad I could eat for six months on what it would cost to purchase one.
    CitizenM likes this.

Great pictures of the Seiko SARC015 and the Zenith Defy, thanks for sharing.
    CitizenM likes this.

v76

Thank you ... it's Ramen for me for the next couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by Flurrpy View Post
    beautiful Seiko, too bad I could eat for six months on what it would cost to purchase one.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin man View Post
    Great pictures of the Seiko SARC015 and the Zenith Defy, thanks for sharing.
    CitizenM likes this.
    Collection:

Sidenote: What is up with Seiko putting power reserves upside down on all their nicer watches? This Sarc, most of the Grand Seikos, most of the Anantas (actually, I think I own the ONLY Ananta with a conventionally aligned power reserve).

v76

Yeah, I'm not convinced with the way they display the PR. Perhaps they want to obscure the fact that this model has a miniscule 45 hours, by visually implying that the power reserve increases the more time the watch spends off your wrist (sans a winder)

Kidding, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Sidenote: What is up with Seiko putting power reserves upside down on all their nicer watches? This Sarc, most of the Grand Seikos, most of the Anantas (actually, I think I own the ONLY Ananta with a conventionally aligned power reserve).
    Collection:

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not convinced with the way they display the PR. Perhaps they want to obscure the fact that this model has a miniscule 45 hours, by visually implying that the power reserve increases the more time the watch spends off your wrist (sans a winder)

Kidding, of course!
    The power reserve display on that watch while visually attractive, takes up way too much space. The consequence of that is the day and especially the date pointers are squeezed down to where they are barely readable. A miniscule 45 hours??? That is on the high side for most automatic watches. I believe the closely related 6R15 has a 50 hour power reserve, which is impressive in the world of good quality watch movements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information