Seiko SKX. Too nice for the money?
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Seiko SKX. Too nice for the money?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    UPDATE:

After spending some actual wrist time with the SKX I've changed my mind a bit since posting this thread. So I am posting an update in order to avoid misleading people.

Flaws of the SKX that you would NEVER see on a Rolex:
    -mine gains about 5 minutes per week
    -The 6 o'clock hour marker is not centred to the corresponding minute marker
    -the day/date takes several hours to flip to the next day.. starting at about 9pm until well after midnight.
    -the diver's bezel, when rotated to centre of 12 o'clock, does not line up at the 6 o'clock mark
    -the serial number on the caseback isn't printed straight

Yikes! Quite a long list of issues! And I doubt I bought a fake as I'm sure these aren't worth faking.

Original Post:

Happy New Year everyone.

After much reading on WUS, I recently bought a SKX007 as a beater to spare my Rolexes from too much outdoor duty like skiing, working on cars, camping, motorcycle riding, etc. Yes, yes, I know Rolex is more than capable of doing all that and blah blah, but spare me for a moment.

Name:  0787de16-b120-4377-a7b6-fa20472c0ed2.jpeg
Views: 1595
Size:  24.7 KB

Well the SKX arrived this week and all I can say is wow. The fit and finish is even better than I expected. But it got me thinking. If for less than $300 one can buy a piece like the SKX which:
    1. Is made by a reputable watch maker with an in-house movement
    2. Has reliable tool watch features like 200M WR, screw down crown and case back
    3. Has a nicely finished case including a mix of brushed and polished surfaces

Then...
    Why do people feel the need to buy high-end Swiss brands?? Here are the only tangible differences I can think of:
    -The 7S26 movement, being rated up to something like +45 seconds/day is not as accurate as high-end Swiss (your experience may vary)
    -Not COSC certified
    -SKX lacks some premium details like applying hour markers by hand... the SKX just has them painted on the dial surface.

Is that really it or am I missing something???
    Other than status and branding, is that all we are getting by paying several thousand $ more for Swiss?
    Last edited by Oops.Forgot.Tissues.; January 10th, 2016 at 21:45.
    jakedog and Pallet Spoon like this.

Re: Seiko SKX. Too nice for the money?

I love a cheap seiko diver just as other sieko fan boy, but I have had my share of hits or misses with them. You're question is just like asking..."why buy a Ferrari when you can get a Ford Mustang?" Self explanatory. Anyways, no argument here. Just my opinion. Nice seiko. Bad ass lume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you are missing is very simple - luxury watches are rarely purchased for utility value alone. People love variety, luxury, opulence, history\heritage. And marketing\branding does influence us on unconcious level.
    So yeah - the Seiko watches (particularly divers) are super solid. But very tiny % of Rolex (or Omega, or Blancpain or AP) buyers are looking for a basic utilitarian watch that can be worn diving or working on a car. Many like to look at their wrist and admire what they see (aking to art in the museum), and sometimes to have others ogle their wrists. And for many a definition of a quality case\dial\movt is very different - watch lovers want something innvovative, with hand-finishing, decoration, exquisite details, etc. And Seiko 007 simply does not meet those criteria (although it can be found in many high-end collections - but even then it primarily gets worn as a tool watch).
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

you better hope our wives (husbands to some) dont see your post buddy or you're a dead man....just sayin...keep it to yourself
    anabuki, Toothbras, chonga and 3 others like this.

Just got a diver this weekend as well, the SRP637k1. This was my thought process in not choosing a Swiss Diver 10x the cost or more. It was also my thought when getting the Cocktail time instead of a swiss business dress watch 10x the cost or more. It was also my thought process when getting a the SARB035 as a daily casual instead of a swiss piece 10x the cost or more. When you say "other than staus and branding" you are pretty much answering your own question. That doesn't mean Seiko has a "bad" brand, just one of functionality vs luxury in most instances. For those of us who don't want a conspicuous item in the workplace, that's not a bad thing at all.
    anabuki, Chronopolis and ss04rf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twofaston2 View Post
    I love a cheap seiko diver just as other sieko fan boy, but I have had my share of hits or misses with them. You're question is just like asking..."why buy a Ferrari when you can get a Ford Mustang?" Self explanatory. Anyways, no argument here. Just my opinion. Nice seiko. Bad ass lume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get what you're saying but it's also not really the same thing in my opinion.

What does a Rolex Submariner do functionally that a SKX doesn't do? Provide an extra 100m of water resistance? They both keep time and have a bezel for tracking elapsed time. Some Subs have date complications, where all SKXs have both day and date.

Now a Ferrari vs a Mustang on a race track the difference of the Ferrari really comes to light. I think most would agree the Ferrari would function better than a Mustang.

I personally think Rolex goes too far into the point of diminishing returns.
    ev13wt likes this.

To answer the thread title: no. It is worth the $200, but not a screaming deal to me. I ended up modding mine and selling it later. I actually owned my Mako longer and enjoyed it more.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbowflex View Post
    I get what you're saying but it's also not really the same thing in my opinion.

What does a Rolex Submariner do functionally that a SKX doesn't do? Provide an extra 100m of water resistance? They both keep time and have a bezel for tracking elapsed time. Some Subs have date complications, where all SKXs have both day and date.

Now a Ferrari vs a Mustang on a race track the difference of the Ferrari really comes to light. I think most would agree the Ferrari would function better than a Mustang.

I personally think Rolex goes too far into the point of diminishing returns.
    Well, the Rolex provides far more utility as man jewelry. Perhaps more pertinent to you would be the many multiples of accuracy in which it exceeds the SKX, or the vast gap in quality of the bracelets and functionality of the clasps.
    Last edited by omeglycine; January 1st, 2016 at 00:00.

I wear a 007 daily. Like you, to spare my other watches the exposure to realities of my life; which would destroy them in short order.

That said, I find my 007 keeps MUCH (MUCH!!!!) better time than 45s per day; wear it daily, keep it FULLY wound, and it will keep excellent time.

Still, you want COSC, buy COSC; and if you want applied hour markers, stick with your Rollers.

Comparing the two is, frankly, (and I'm putting this in a very nice way) silly.
    anabuki and Ugly-Nugget like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgmartz View Post
    you better hope our wives (husbands to some) dont see your post buddy or you're a dead man....just sayin...keep it to yourself
    This kind of response is scary because I take it to mean that my OP was spot on. And I am a fan of Swiss pieces.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information