Seiko SKX007K2 Crown Stem Broken?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fixer29

Thread: Seiko SKX007K2 Crown Stem Broken?

Confused Seiko SKX007K2 Crown Stem Broken?

Good afternoon!

I am new to this forum, and even more new to watches. After weeks of watching and reading reviews on a variety of watches and styles I've chosen the SKX007K2 to be my first timepiece. I was thrilled to receive the watch in the mail today and check it out and set the time.

Unfortunately, while I was setting the time... the crown and a bit of the stem seemed to have broken off or otherwise come unattached from the body of the watch. With some finagling I am able to reattach the crown and properly set the date/time. I am pretty sure this is not supposed to be able to become detached like this... is it broken or defective? I am not a behemoth by any means, so even if I tried to pull slightly passed the second click on accident, it shouldn't just break off? Please send help immediately. :)

There is about 4 mm protruding from the detached crown and ends right about passed the black gasket. I will try to post pictures shortly. Any help or suggestions of what this could be is appreciated.

Re: Seiko SKX007K2 Crown Stem Broken?

Photos attached for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, unfortunately that is broken. And although it (the stem) isn't bolted or cemented into the watch, it should withstand a pretty fair amount of pull-force to have it pop out. So it was defective before it arrived to you.
    Return it for a refund, and carefully reconsider buying another watch from whomever sold it to you.
    EDIT: I just looked at the picture more carefully, sorry. The crown came detached from the stem. That is definitely defective. I've only had a crown detach from a stem once, and that was on a 50+ year old hand-wound watch. It's more common for the entire crown-stem to come out of the watch, and that's generally an easier repair.
    In your case, I'd replace the entire stem/crown, but given this is a new watch, you should just return it. Sorry this happened on your first Seiko ...that's not indicative of the great quality of these watches.
    Last edited by Vioviv; May 9th, 2018 at 20:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Crowns and stems are delicate little things but are actually able to stand up to a lot of wear and tear so I would venture that your problem is the fault of the watch rather than the owner. You almost certainly got a dud watch so return it.

It looks like it has just unscrewed off the stem rather than snapping? If that's the case it's a fairly simple job if you have the right tools to remove the stem and screw it back in with a dab of screw lock. Or if you don't have the tools you could try taking it to your local watchmaker
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Exact same thing happened to me - got this watch off HK based site at Christmas which are telling me they won’t take watch back. That’ll teach me to buy of non-reputable seller. Going to try buying spare and have watch repair shop for replacement crown/stem.

Thread Information