Seiko SKX399 VS Orient M Force Beast
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Horologic
  • 1 Post By EvoRich

Thread: Seiko SKX399 VS Orient M Force Beast

Seiko SKX399 VS Orient M Force Beast

I am torn apart between this two watches.

I am getting hooks up for them right now. Same price for both:
    Points to think about.

1. The Beast is in excellent condition. unlike the 399 with scratches on the bezel

2.The history 399 is more to my liking. Came from my motherland.

3. Movement. Doesn't really matter to me right now.

4. Investability. Which one is best to keep for investment purpose?

Need your help!

Re: Seiko SKX399 VS Orient M Force Beast

Quote Originally Posted by aaarongaaron View Post
    I am torn apart between this two watches.

I am getting hooks up for them right now. Same price for both:
    Points to think about.

1. The Beast is in excellent condition. unlike the 399 with scratches on the bezel

2.The history 399 is more to my liking. Came from my motherland.

3. Movement. Doesn't really matter to me right now.

4. Investability. Which one is best to keep for investment purpose?

Need your help!
    Tough call.

1. The SKX399 is a little nicer than the SKX173, but they look very close-- and then there's the SKX007 which is very common. I can find watches like that with scratched bezel all day long. While the SXK399 will be technically rarer, only a Seiko enthusiast or WIS could tell the difference. The Beast is in good condition now, and is more feature-rich (e.g. sapphire crystal, better movement, etc.)

2. I can't make a value call on an intangible for you on the value of the SKX399's heritage.

3. It may not matter right now, but the Orient movement is significantly better. The Seiko uses a regular old 7s26, which is a workhorse in terms of reliability but it's known for sometimes having mediocre accuracy. It does not hack or hand wind. The Orient does have all of those features plus power reserve (it's up to you if that's a good thing aesthetically.) Both are 6bps, so no difference there. The Beast is ISO dive rated, so it's a higher end dive watch.

4. Again, the SXk399 is technically rare and desirable to collectors, but it's also not that distinct from the SXK173 or 007, both of which are readily available and inexpensive. Right now the '399 can be had in used condition for less than $200. It may hold value OK, but probably won't go up in value for a long time, if ever. The 7s26's limited feature set limits its desirability. (Fine for an entry level watch, but nothing special.)

5. My concern is with the configuration/sizing. They're quite different watches. The beast isn't ridiculously big, but it's big at 47mm wide, 53mm lug-to-lug and a lug width of 24mm. The "Left handed" crown is also either a big selling point or big nuisance. The 399 is much smaller and the crown (and watch in general) may be more comfortable.

So if it were me? Given prices for both being equal, the Beast without question. I can always pick up a 399 inexpensively later-- or just buy a new '007 or '173 and not worry about any wear and tear. The Beast is much nicer spec-wise and isn't nearly as cheap if I change my mind and want one later.

Good luck!
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

I love the SKX399. The M Force beast looks too large for my tastes. But I agree the specs look nice compared to entry level prospex.
    aaarongaaron likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    Tough call.

1. The SKX399 is a little nicer than the SKX173, but they look very close-- and then there's the SKX007 which is very common. I can find watches like that with scratched bezel all day long. While the SXK399 will be technically rarer, only a Seiko enthusiast or WIS could tell the difference. The Beast is in good condition now, and is more feature-rich (e.g. sapphire crystal, better movement, etc.)

2. I can't make a value call on an intangible for you on the value of the SKX399's heritage.

3. It may not matter right now, but the Orient movement is significantly better. The Seiko uses a regular old 7s26, which is a workhorse in terms of reliability but it's known for sometimes having mediocre accuracy. It does not hack or hand wind. The Orient does have all of those features plus power reserve (it's up to you if that's a good thing aesthetically.) Both are 6bps, so no difference there. The Beast is ISO dive rated, so it's a higher end dive watch.

4. Again, the SXk399 is technically rare and desirable to collectors, but it's also not that distinct from the SXK173 or 007, both of which are readily available and inexpensive. Right now the '399 can be had in used condition for less than $200. It may hold value OK, but probably won't go up in value for a long time, if ever. The 7s26's limited feature set limits its desirability. (Fine for an entry level watch, but nothing special.)

5. My concern is with the configuration/sizing. They're quite different watches. The beast isn't ridiculously big, but it's big at 47mm wide, 53mm lug-to-lug and a lug width of 24mm. The "Left handed" crown is also either a big selling point or big nuisance. The 399 is much smaller and the crown (and watch in general) may be more comfortable.

So if it were me? Given prices for both being equal, the Beast without question. I can always pick up a 399 inexpensively later-- or just buy a new '007 or '173 and not worry about any wear and tear. The Beast is much nicer spec-wise and isn't nearly as cheap if I change my mind and want one later.

Good luck!
    Beast it is.

I am in love with divers. And I'm okay with the crown on the 9 o'clock. Pic related. :)Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409357973515.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  53.0 KB

If you're OK with an EcoZilla, the Beast will be a tiny little thing :)

P.S. love the Mazda 3 dash
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    If you're OK with an EcoZilla, the Beast will be a tiny little thing :)

P.S. love the Mazda 3 dash
    Thanks! ;)
    Yes Hoping it won't be heavy. Got the titanium ecozilla for that issue.

Banned

I'd choose the Seiko. I Like the EcoZilla, but I don't like the Orient.

I'm confused.....A 'Seiko vs x' comparison on f2 needs to be against a watch that's several orders of magnitude more expensive than the Seiko. i.e, Sumo vs Oris Aquis, MM300 vs SMP, Orange Monster vs PP 5167, etc. etc. :P

SRSLY though, the Orient. What a looker!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I'm confused.....A 'Seiko vs x' comparison on f2 needs to be against a watch that's several orders of magnitude more expensive than the Seiko. i.e, Sumo vs Oris Aquis, MM300 vs SMP, Orange Monster vs PP 5167, etc. etc. :P

SRSLY though, the Orient. What a looker!
    And if you do it right, it'll be 18 pages of discussion about Speedy Pro's.
    Domo likes this.

Thread Information