Seldom worn automatic watches
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seldom worn automatic watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seldom worn automatic watches

Here's a newb question about automatic watches. I have 4 watches now, but the one automatic I have can be manually wound as well. Which is great, since I don't wear that watch everyday. My question is, what do people do with a seldomly worn automatic that cant be wound by hand? I'm thinking specifically about adding an orient mako or ray. Could I pick it up after not wearing it for days, shake it and be good to go for the day? Sorry if it's a simple question, but I figured there would be some folks here that don't wear their automatics everyday and don't keep them on winders. Thanks...

Inactive

Re: Seldom worn automatic watches

Quote Originally Posted by 84gt350 View Post
    Could I pick it up after not wearing it for days, shake it and be good to go for the day?
    yes, as simple as that (apart from possibly resetting the time if it has stopped), you start to charge the mainspring as soon as you start to wear it and continue to do so all the time you're wearing it.

but I figured there would be some folks here that don't wear their automatics everyday and don't keep them on winders.
    You only need a winder* if your auto has lots of complications that take a fair time to reset when the watch runs down. (*and there's a bit of debate as to whether you need one even then!)

Basic auto's just need time (and poss date) reset and you're good to go

Hope this helps
    Last edited by watchma; September 3rd, 2012 at 22:06.
    Eight O'Five likes this.

That does help, thanks. I've seen several automatics that aren't real expensive, that look like quality pieces (such as those orient models I mentioned). But if I were to get one I wouldn't wear it more than a couple days a week, it's good to mix it up, right? And I don't have much interest in a winder, especially if I can get by without it. Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I just give the crown a couple of turns, so the watch starts, then adjust the time, then strap it on.

I never shake it as the ballbearings ( steel on some, ceramic on one) are so delicate and tiny.....

Inactive

Yeah depends on your definition of "shake" - be gentle with it

You don't really even need to shake or wind, just putting it on will usually wake it up within a few seconds or so.. and then once it's going and on your wrist you're fine

it's good to mix it up, right?
    Yeah it's stage one,... on the way to having more watches than there are days in the week , so then you have to work out a fortnight mix up routine, then a tri weekly setup and then on to the month mix up LOL
    Last edited by watchma; September 3rd, 2012 at 22:24.

I just reset it and go.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

I rotate my 3 autos daily (not strictly) so it's 72 hours minimum between each wear. They only have 48 hour power reserves so they're always out of juice when I pick them up. Quick wind, time/date/day set, wear. No probs.

Ok, so maybe don't shake it to get it going. Just set and go huh? I see a couple references to wind the crown a little. That's for one that can be hand wound too right? I have one like that, and I wind that, usually fully, then set and go.

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    Yeah it's stage one,... on the way to having more watches than there are days in the week , so then you have to work out a fortnight mix up routine, then a tri weekly setup and then on to the month mix up LOL
    Yeah, working on getting there. But my wife isn't as enthusiastic about it as I am, lol. I think she'll be a little more understanding if I fill my watch box with an orient or seiko or 2 rather than rolexes and omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by 84gt350 View Post
    Ok, so maybe don't shake it to get it going. Just set and go huh? I see a couple references to wind the crown a little. That's for one that can be hand wound too right? I have one like that, and I wind that, usually fully, then set and go.
    There's no need to wind it fully - your wrist will do that (unless you're sleeping); no harm in doing so though it could cause unnecessary wear on the stem over years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information