Selecting a watch to pass on to your son.

Thread: Selecting a watch to pass on to your son.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Selecting a watch to pass on to your son.

I have recently begun searching for a watch to commemorate my first father’s day since my son was born. My goal for this watch is to wear it regularly but not every day then give it to my son on his 25th birthday. After some searching I decided on the 2254.50 black faced Seamaster. This watch appears to be a classic that will survive the test of time well.

I am interested in other peoples answers to this question. If you were purchasing a watch to hand down what would you pick, taking into consideration avaliability of parts and service over an extended period of time?

Re: Selecting a watch to pass on to your son.

Boy, the excuses we'll make to justify buying a watch!
    Congratulations on the birth of your son. I think your choice of a Seamaster is a great one!
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Watches that I have inherited, have value/meaning because of what they meant to the original owner. I have watches of greater value, but my fathers Seiko 6105 was the one he wore when we dove together. It was a watch he wore almost everyday. It means more to me than some of the more expensive watches he left me.

If you want to pass on something of value buy a lump of gold, if you want to pass on something of meaning buy a watch you like and wear it when you participate in your sons upbringing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just bought the Ocean7 Amercian #50 to pass on. My son is only 3-1/2 (with #2 on the way in July) but he loves watches already! Here is the story of why I bought it.
    Also, my father was born in 1950 so I could always "pass it up" too!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=148519
    Jeff

I would go with a omega speedy pro. Its looked good for 50 years and im sure it will look good in another 50. Whatever you choose im sure your son will love it just because it was yours. Congratulations.

-Ben

I made that excuse too. I have two sons and have two Seamasters: The white GMT and the 2254.50.

My oldest (12) and youngest (10) both have asked about when they'll be getting the Semasters.

Answer is: when they graduate from college. Or if they wish I'll but them a new one, which ever they prefer because either way they'll end up them.

I plan to give this to my 1 year old on his 18th birthday......just praying I don't flip it

Quote Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post
    Watches that I have inherited, have value/meaning because of what they meant to the original owner. I have watches of greater value, but my fathers Seiko 6105 was the one he wore when we dove together. It was a watch he wore almost everyday. It means more to me than some of the more expensive watches he left me.

If you want to pass on something of value buy a lump of gold, if you want to pass on something of meaning buy a watch you like and wear it when you participate in your sons upbringing.
    What mumbleypeg said - buy what you like to wear and then wear it while doing things with your son.

I would think that most any new manual wind or automatic should be serviceable in 25 years. Perhaps the manufacturer may not want to touch it anymore, but you should be able to find someone to give it a proper service. The Seamaster is a fine choice, as long as your son associates it with the wonderful times he had with you while you were wearing it.

I too thought about this same excuse (reason) for buying watches when my son was born. I personally like large, manual wind watches. When my son was first able to, he'd reach up to grab my wrist and hold the watch next to his ear to hear it tick. He knows that I have more than one (ok, a lot) of watches, but he still likes to hear them tick. The second son will likely do the same when he's able. I figure that I'll let them choose whichever watches they want when they're ready.

I just HOPE that with the advent of technology and the fact that cell phones and I-pods now seem to be the timepiece of choice for the younger crowd, in 25 years they will still know how to properly read and use a watch, let alone wear one.

CURRENT LINE UP
    Seiko - Automatic - SKX175 - 7S26
    Seiko - Automatic - 6139-6030T
    Orient - Manual - 0278509N
    Sunnto - Vector
    Invicta - 5017 / 8928
    Gruen -Auto
    Seiko - BM

FLIPPED (Watchuseek)
    Zeno Watch Basel EA-02SV
    Invicta 9212 / 2615 / 3047
    Sector 550 Swiss Quartz
    Accutron 26B48 Auto
    Seiko - Blue Sawtooth
    Zodiac Oceanaire -CL-888
    ORSA - Orange Sea Angler
    2 Gevrils - GV2 ETA Auto

Quote Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post

+1 here
    100% agreed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information