Self Imposed Collection Rules
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Self Imposed Collection Rules

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I have inadvertently imposed some collecting rules on myself. When I say "inadvertently", what I mean is that I didn't sit down and come up with a list of rules, rather these rules just seem to exist without my thought or input, they are phantom unspoken rules. As an example, I have found that if I have too many watches I tend to flip more frequently. I think the reason for this is that the more watches I have the less I wear each watch and therefore the less I appreciate each individual watch. If I go a week or two without wearing a particular watch I will start to think about what I should replace it with, but when I put it on my wrist I fall in love with it again and wonder why on earth I would consider selling it. I therefore try to keep my collection limited in quantity so that I wear every watch each week. Right now I have 5, which is manageable for me, but I actually think I would be happier at 3 or 4. I just dont know how to pare down to that few so limit my collection to 5 or 6.

As a result of limiting my collection size, I have a silly rule that I can not have 2 watches with the same brand. I find that this rule is very annoying and I wish I didnt have it, but for some reason I cant get past it. I have an Aqua Terra that I am not willing to part with but I want to try a Speedmaster, of course cant seem to bring myself to owing both. Same thing with Sinn, I have an EZM 1.1 but want a 104 i. I have no problem with other forms of overlap, I am fine having multiple divers.

Does anyone else suffer from this dumb rule of brand variety? What self imposed rules do you have?
    Alysandir likes this.

Re: Self Imposed Collection Rules

Rules are there to be broken!
    gossler likes this.
    Rolex 116660 D-Blue, Rolex Sky-Dweller, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 45th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 17 40th Anniversary, Omega Speedy Tuesday, Omega ​Ultraman, Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre, Omega x33 Skywalker Solar Impulse, Seiko Prospex Diver SPB105J, Timex ​Marlin Peanuts

My only rule is that if I don’t look forward to wearing it, it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Uberscreamer and MaDTempo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you need to go seasonal: put your five "winter watches" on a shelf in your closet and wear only your five "summer watches" until the seasons change. If that still feels too limiting, get a set of fall and spring watches.
    BillTX and vkalia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoTheQ View Post
    I think you need to go seasonal: put your five "winter watches" on a shelf in your closet and wear only your five "summer watches" until the seasons change. If that still feels too limiting, get a set of fall and spring watches.
    What is the winter and summer watches?
    How they different one from another?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

My one rule is, Maximum one new watch per year. For the kost part I have honored this self imposed rule.

I think it’s silly to limit yourself to having one watch per brand. As I think you will be missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by gossler View Post
    ...I think it’s silly to limit yourself to having one watch per brand. As I think you will be missing out.
    That “rule” comes up from time to time in WIS-dom. Silly IMHO as well - so you can’t have both a Sub and GMT Master II (guilty)? No Speedy if you have an AT? No Reverso if you have a MUT Moon? Yikes...
    gossler likes this.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

I could never force myself to only have one watch per brand. Right now, my self imposed rule is...no more until I sell some off.

My rule is "one in - one out". This way I can maintain resonable amount of watches in rotation.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    gossler, Mr Auto and HTown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL Jack View Post
    I have inadvertently imposed some collecting rules on myself. When I say "inadvertently", what I mean is that I didn't sit down and come up with a list of rules, rather these rules just seem to exist without my thought or input, they are phantom unspoken rules. As an example, I have found that if I have too many watches I tend to flip more frequently. I think the reason for this is that the more watches I have the less I wear each watch and therefore the less I appreciate each individual watch. If I go a week or two without wearing a particular watch I will start to think about what I should replace it with, but when I put it on my wrist I fall in love with it again and wonder why on earth I would consider selling it. I therefore try to keep my collection limited in quantity so that I wear every watch each week. Right now I have 5, which is manageable for me, but I actually think I would be happier at 3 or 4. I just dont know how to pare down to that few so limit my collection to 5 or 6.

As a result of limiting my collection size, I have a silly rule that I can not have 2 watches with the same brand. I find that this rule is very annoying and I wish I didnt have it, but for some reason I cant get past it. I have an Aqua Terra that I am not willing to part with but I want to try a Speedmaster, of course cant seem to bring myself to owing both. Same thing with Sinn, I have an EZM 1.1 but want a 104 i. I have no problem with other forms of overlap, I am fine having multiple divers.

Does anyone else suffer from this dumb rule of brand variety? What self imposed rules do you have?
    If it's any consolation, I have the same silly rule.

And YES, I do realize that rule is broken no less that four times in my collection, but that's only because I haven't yet sold the original watch that ended up being replaced by my second acquisition because I felt the second watch best served as my "one representative" for that brand. But they are all on the block to be sold. And for that matter, if another watch of that brand came along that was a "better match" for me, the current one from that brand would ultimately be sold.

And YES, I do realize that I am high-functioning insane.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    mleok and vkalia like this.
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125