Self Regulating?

Thread: Self Regulating?

Self Regulating?

Hi

My new Rolex SDDS is running at a remarkably consistent -3 seconds slow every day. I check it daily at the same time, developing OCD, and every 24 hours it has gained exactly 3 seconds. No matter what activity I do or whether I wear it all day and night or just part of the day, -3 seconds it is! That consistency of course is testimony to great watchmaking and adjusting in 5 positions, and also is within COSC standards.

However......I have just been shown a piece of Rolex official info that says the timing can be adjusted by a few seconds each day depending on the position it is placed in at night. If left case down, face up, it says it will gain a couple seconds.

The question is - does this work?

I shall re-set my watch tonight to exact time, and try this for the next week and see. But would appreciate comment and experience?

s

Re: Self Regulating?

Short answer - YES, it does. You have to be scientific about it to really nail it down, tho. Here's a basic way to figure out how your watch runs;

Sit it on your desk/nightstand/table for 24 hours flat on its back, record the time

Sit it on your desk/nightstand/table for 24 hours flat on it's face, record the time

Sit it on your desk/nightstand/table for 24 hours crown 'up', record the time

Sit it on your desk/nightstand/table for 24 hours crown down, record the time

The last one is hard, because the crown will make it want to roll over to one side, but you'll be able to make it work if you fiddle with it.

I'll make a gentlemen's bet with you that the watch will run at a different rate in these diferent positions. I don't believe there's a sure fire way to find out which position will speed up/slow down your individual piece, tho. That's part of the fun of running the position experiment, i guess!

By the way, thats a fantastic piece, I loved the write up it just got in Watchtime.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

However......I have just been shown a piece of Rolex official info that says the timing can be adjusted by a few seconds each day depending on the position it is placed in at night. If left case down, face up, it says it will gain a couple seconds

The question is - does this work?

I shall re-set my watch tonight to exact time, and try this for the next week and see. But would appreciate comment and experience?

s

Basicly he is right but you can`t adjust a watch by placing it in a specific position. You may influence gain and loss but it is in no way an "adjustment". "Adjusted" is just the wrong term. For more info:
    http://elginwatches.org/technical/adjustments.html
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; March 20th, 2009 at 12:30.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Basicly he is right but you can`t adjust a watch by placing it in a specific position. You may influence gain and loss but it is in now way an "adjustment". "Adjusted" is just the wrong term. For more info:
    http://elginwatches.org/technical/adjustments.html
    Exactly right. There's no way to really 'adjust' your watch's rate, really, other than opening it up, which is basically pointless if it's well within COSC specs. If you do find one position to 'speed it up' then that's fine, but I for one would rather have a Rolex SDDS glued to my wrist, instead of sitting by my bedside every night!

Rolex's are supposedly made to such tight specs that your rate will probably be right at that -3 sec consistently. Then again, lets say if you are a 9-5er all week, but then are very active on the weekends, you may find that your watch will run a little differently on the weekends (i.e. more running, working out, playing with the kids, etc etc) I find this to be true for my Enzo, and Breitling. Not substantially different, but they definitely run at a different rate than when i'm stuck in my desk all week at work.

Not to expunge too much, but all this type of stuff is the reason why i like Mechanical watches more than quartzes, generally speaking. They are such amazing little machines.

P.S.> Mike, that's a great link

P.P.S.> Simon, feel free to post pics of your SDDS! Don't know if you have already!
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Quote Originally Posted by dtmartin46 View Post
    P.P.S.> Simon, feel free to post pics of your SDDS! Don't know if you have already!
    Thanks for info - I shall have a go

As for posting pics - I dont own a camera - except on my phone

Can one easily post crummy phone pics on the forum? It seems many folk here are as keen on photography as on horology - some amazing professional looking pics get posted - but I'll do it from my phone if poss

cheers

si

Thread Information