self-winding time?

Thread: self-winding time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

self-winding time?

I'm curious how many hours one needs to wear a watch in normal daily acitivity to keep a 40 hour reserve movement fully wound. It probably varies with activity level, but let's say you spend 8 hours at the office, take a walk for lunch, do something active with the kids after work, eat dinner, get a good night's sleep. At what point in your day could you switch watches so as to keep a second watch wound? Perhaps different movements are too variable to come up with a rule of thumb, but I'd be interested to see if there is a consensus.

Paul

P.S. I do know all about watch winders, folks! This is a thought problem - - not a real problem in search of a solution.

I can't answer your question directly, but I have noticed that if I wear my seiko sumo when I run every other day (and only when I run, taking it off as soon as I get home), it stays running all the time. So, it seems that only a half hour to 45 minutes of vigorous activity gets it fully wound.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Re: self-winding time?

Quote Originally Posted by drewmcd24 View Post
    I can't answer your question directly, but I have noticed that if I wear my seiko sumo when I run every other day (and only when I run, taking it off as soon as I get home), it stays running all the time. So, it seems that only a half hour to 45 minutes of vigorous activity gets it fully wound.
    Yes, the key is VIGOROUS. I used to keep 4 autos going but had to stop because my glasses got too thick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drewmcd24 View Post

Office work is a light year away from "vigorous activity".

just let it stop when it wants. set it and give it a few shakes and off you go.

i have an auto with a power reserve, i have a fairly active job (usually..) and on a busy morning i can have the power reserve go from nearly 0 when i put it on first thing if its been unwound, and by midday i can have it fully wound, there are other days when im not as active and by the end of the day it might only be 3/4 wound. I think office workers might even have to wind their watches manually from time to time..perhaps somebody else can comment. I've never had an issue with my watches needing to be wound manually though.

lvt

It's hard to keep two automatics wound through the day, unless you are a conductor.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeshopman View Post
    Office work is a light year away from "vigorous activity".

just let it stop when it wants. set it and give it a few shakes and off you go.
    True, but my point is that if it only takes 30 minutes of jogging to fully wind an auto, you shouldn't have any problems keeping it wound during a full day of normal activity unless your arm is completely still for most of that time. I can't think of any jobs that would cause a person to be that sedentary. Maybe if you're a sleep study participant or a zen master who spends all day in a deep, meditative trance. If that's the case, just let your watch stop because time has no meaning once you reach nirvana.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Quote Originally Posted by paulie485 View Post
    I'm curious how many hours one needs to wear a watch in normal daily acitivity to keep a 40 hour reserve movement fully wound. It probably varies with activity level, but let's say you spend 8 hours at the office, take a walk for lunch, do something active with the kids after work, eat dinner, get a good night's sleep. At what point in your day could you switch watches so as to keep a second watch wound? Perhaps different movements are too variable to come up with a rule of thumb, but I'd be interested to see if there is a consensus.

Paul

P.S. I do know all about watch winders, folks! This is a thought problem - - not a real problem in search of a solution.
    A more reliable idea might be to wear one watch for a complete day then alternate to the other the next day. Or give about 10 turns of the crown to the watch you are removing.

It sounds like you should probably just get a watch winder. That would be the easiest way to keep them both wound.

Drink lots of coffee in the morning will keep your watches wound.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information