Selling and flipping watches - the insanity of it all!
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Selling and flipping watches - the insanity of it all!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Selling and flipping watches - the insanity of it all!

Ranting about something I think everyone seriously into watches can relate with...

I've built up a pretty cool collection since I got into watches, but for some reason I can't be happy for too long... Here I find myself thinking about flipping not 1, not 2, but 3 watches at the same time. Just a few weeks ago I was telling myself how the collection was now complete and to stay put for a while.

In the last few months I have:
    - Sold my Damasko
    - Sold my Bremont
    - Sold my Bell and Ross

So that makes me wonder about the rest of you guys

How often do you guys flip/sell watches? How long do you usually keep a watch? How much of a loss do you take when selling? Why do you sell?
    --

Re: Selling and flipping watches - the insanity of it all!

I do it a lot... My life philosophy is that everything is for sale, I'm just enjoying in the mean time. When I buy a watch I usually clean it up and put it up for sale or trade sometimes if looking for something particular within a couple months of enjoying it unless i LOVE it or it's special to me for some reason... I will put the price high to where I would make a lot of money, if I want to keep the watch, I keep it at the point where I couldn't say no if someone wanted it, the more I want to sell it or the less I am wearing it the more I will lower the price. Doing this I have worn countless watches many people can't dream of, my family and friends know I'm in to watches and just about every few months my main 3-6 watches have completely changed which is kind of like having an endless collection. Regardless of how much money you make / lose, it is a lot cheaper to recycle and change 3 watches every few months to have a total of 10 or so watches to wear for the year, than to buy those ten watches. If your the type of person to lease a car so you can always drive something fresh, this method might be for you. Only thing is you can NEVER buy new doing this otherwise you'd be broke quick :) Anyways to each his own and all that, but I love it and it works for me.
    imagwai, saxoo, GlennO and 1 others like this.

Some watches get moved on pretty quickly. Others stay a long time. Reasons for selling include simply not getting enough wrist time, but in nearly every case it's to fund the next watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

No one is required to keep more than two watches.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    No one is required to keep more than two watches.
    Nobody "requires" anything more than a £9.99 Casio. But let's work from the premise that most of us here quite like watches. ;)
    neolamp likes this.

I used to track my watches and transactions on a spreadsheet, but stopped once I reached a hundred or so. I was actually in the black when I stopped tracking but Lord knows where I'm at today or where I'll be tomorrow.

Edit: I've finally settled on a small handful of watches which are meaningful to me. The only selling I'll be doing in the near future will be for the purpose of liquidating the non-critical pieces. The Speedy Pro has always been my number one watch and I finally got one - it's even kept me from relentlessly checking the Sales Corner out of restlessness.
    Last edited by OH Redhawk; October 20th, 2014 at 23:02.
    Omega | Breitling | Citizen | Tag Heuer | G-Shock | Oris | Dievas | Marathon | Seiko | Hamilton | Helbros | Sinn | Fortis

Searching the planet for: Kobold Endurance II in blue

This page definitely doesn't help at all. About 2 years ago I discovered this forum, gaind some knowledge, then bought watches based on look and my lifestyle. Shortly after that I started flipping watches based on fit, look, fund the next watch, and lifestyle. Then I started flipping those watches for watches based on look, fit, movement, fund the next watch and lifestyle. Funny how I never flipped based on necessity, for example: I need a dress watch but still won't buy one. Oh well, I guess in this hobby necessity sits low on the priority list? The fit, lifestyle, and look will change at one point or another due to me getting older or whatever, which is why the quest continues.
    Last edited by greg19; October 20th, 2014 at 22:48.
    Current Rotation:Rolex Yacht-Master 116655, Rolex CHNR GMT Master II Ceramic 126711, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV, Tudor Pelagos, Tudor Black Bay Red

Never flipped a watch, honestly I can't even turn a cartwheel
    bluloo, CMTFR, falcon4311 and 1 others like this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Soooo you have your grail...you are happy. Sell everything else except a beater, and go buy yourself something pretty.
    Time is relative.

I've flipped more than my share. To me watches are different than baseball cards or hummel dolls or antiques - they are mean to be worn and used and tinkered with, not just collected and sitting on a shelf by the dozens.

To that end, if you like different watches with different sizes, movements and complications, flipping isn't "insane". It's quite the opposite - it's prudent, and having a sales forum like the one on WUS makes it possible to feed the hobby without going broke in the process. The internet has blasted the watch buying process wide open - you are no longer a slave to the local jeweler or shopping mall. You can shop for any piece damn near anywhere in the world. From sellers and watchmakers your local Jared or Ben Bridge never heard of. The downside is that maybe you can't try on the micro-brand before you buy it. The upside if you don't like it after a bit? You can flip it for little loss with a few keystrokes.

I find flipping kind of fun - I've met some very cool people through my transactions and its satisfying to do a deal where you get a fair return and the other side is happy with the purchase.
    cowboys5sb1997 and Richqqqq like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information