Selling my Harley for a Watch! Would You?
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Selling my Harley for a Watch! Would You?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Selling my Harley for a Watch! Would You?

I like to ride motorcycles. I enjoy goosing my bike through winding picturesque back roads, motoring between farms and fields, wooded two lane ribbons of asphalt, etc... I also have a thing for watches, one in particular recently. The Rolex Explorer 214270. My heart is filled with lust for this watch, you know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately I'm short on funds to justify such an expense this year. My wife, who doesn't outright protest my motor bike activity, but would prefer I give it up, knows about my desire for the Rolex. A couple days ago she casually mentioned that if I sold my bike I could purchase the Rolex, I'd have it with me always and it would depreciate far less than my bike is currently. She cleverly tapped into my lizard brain instinct to get more stuff and had me agreeing with her; "yeah that's right, I could totally get that watch without having to scrape and save, and she's totally cool with it!" "Maybe I'm getting too old for this motorcycle stuff anyway...oh, and asset depreciation is a thing."

Well, I didn't agree to anything, but the idea has been stuck in my head since the seed was planted.

So tell me fellow watch enthusiasts...Would you? Could you? for a watch?

Pics of the bike in question, 2008 FXDF:

Name:  FXDF Side.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  85.9 KBName:  FXDF Front.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  85.9 KB

That is a beautiful chopper. Of course I would never sell a motorcycle for a watch no matter how awesome the watch is or how badly I wanted it. The bike is so much fun to ride. The useless watch will never give you so much satisfaction like a bike besides you will get bored of a watch after sometime.

Re: Selling my Harley for a Watch! Would You?

HD = Hundreds of Dollars. Bikes are fun, but expensive and they require a continual (at least annually) input of money. So personally, in the long run, the Rolex makes sense financially, especially since it’s got a lower cost of ownership per year.

There is also the consideration of how much use you will get. Ballparking that riding season is 9 months out of the year, you won’t get to ride the bike as frequently as you can wear the Rolex (year round).

I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldnt personally sell a bike for a watch (maybe I'm just cheap and or havent been bitten by the bug but I dont see myself getting the same level of joy from a well made item that sits on your wrist vs having a fun vehicle). But I would sell a bike for a wife's request.... although I guess based on how quickly and enthusiastic I worded that, it should be evident I've never had a wife, lol.

You can have an adventure, you can take a trip, you can feel the breeze in your hair, all done on your Harley, but the Rolex will only give you the time of day.

I say no,( I've got 2009 fxdf, but I added leather bags and a removable windshield for long trips)

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk
    Dan T. and tvterry1 like this.

Absolutely not. I had a Harley that I had to sell when my son was born and there isn’t a warm day that I don’t miss it. Once it’s gone you’ll probably never be able to negotiate one back into your garage. Keep the bike!

(I’d bet a paycheck that if you posted this same question on hdforums and you’d get destroyed!)
    Dan T., marcmc, afremont and 2 others like this.

I use to ride all the time. I sold it thinking I would really miss riding but in really not so much. Mostly I was just an old man on a bike. I would let it go.
    jsohal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Igorek View Post
    That is a beautiful chopper. Of course I would never sell a motorcycle for a watch no matter how awesome the watch is or how badly I wanted it. The bike is so much fun to ride. The useless watch will never give you so much satisfaction like a bike besides you will get bored of a watch after sometime.
    I agree. I wouldn't sell my bike to buy a watch. No watch on earth gives you the same kind of grin on your face as cruising around some bends on a sunny afternoon. I'd keep the bike and buy a watch that fits my budget.

Alternative: sell the HD, buy a cheaper bike and a watch for the change..

Name:  P1110218.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  257.0 KB

If the real reason for quitting biking it the familiy though, and the Explorer is just a perk to make it happen, it might be a different story. Only you can tell.
    mconlonx, Jack646, stbob and 1 others like this.

Short answer: no.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    tvterry1 likes this.

Would I sell a bike to get a watch? Absolutely. I have a 09 Ducati Multistrada 1100s that I've been contemplating getting rid of, specifically to pick up a grail Omega I've been lusting after ever since I got a bit more into watches.

However, it's a bit easier, since I have a 88 Honda Hawk NT650 GT in the garage at the same time. Nowhere near the performance of the Duc, but a nifty bike in its own right, and I could have the watch of my dreams and a motorcycle...
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information