Selling my wife's watch with custom engraved back plate
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By T1meout

Thread: Selling my wife's watch with custom engraved back plate

Confused Selling my wife's watch with custom engraved back plate

Hello fellow members, newbie here!

My wife has a Chopard Happy Sport two tone watch (yes, the one with the floating diamonds in the dial), a gift from her previous husband. Truth be told, she never took a liking to this watch's design and for obvious reasons there is no emotional attachment to the watch either. She barely wears it, and she decided to sell the watch. The trouble is, the back plate is custom engraved with the words "Engage. Anniv.".

Does this reduce the value of the watch on the used market? Today, we brought the watch to the AD for a battery replacement (which BTW costs an insane $125 Canadian dollars), and we were told that it was not possible to replace the back plate because it has the serial number engraved on it. However, it was suggested to remove the custom engraved message. This can be done by resurfacing the metal material over the text, but without removing other indications like the model number and serial number. However, this would not restore the back to its original condition since it would leave some wavy marks where the custom message has previously appeared.

My questions to you more knowledgeable members are:

- Does the custom message significantly reduce the value of the watch?
    - If yes, should I consider removing the message by having the back plate resurfaced?

Re: Selling my wife's watch with custom engraved back plate

As long as there are no initials, names or dates the engraving should not affect the resale value of the watch. It may even appeal to a niche market. The problem with the watch is that it's a lady's Quartz designer watch which by definition has a very poor resale value. Expect to loose aproximately 50% of the original value.
    teatimecrumpet likes this.

Hi T1meout, thanks for your helpful reply. As a small aside, is Chopard considered a "designer watch" company? From what I read, Chopard started as a watch company and although today they still make watches, they do make other jewelry, fragrances, and some limited accessories. Although, unlike say Chanel, they do not make clothes.

I haven't sold the watch yet. Waiting to get it back from the dealer with the battery replacement first!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i wouldnt remove the engravings, sell as is. may turn to have interesting story to the watches history

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I have a retirement watch I got for dirt cheap on ebay and got serviced afterwards. In that case, it adds a lot of character to the watch to me. I think the same mostly of vintage timepieces - I love to get my hands on a watch that was given to a loved one for a milestone. It speaks to a tradition that you don't see going on that often anymore. I found out that most people don't think that way, though.

In your wife's case, I think the situation is quite the opposite. I do, however, resonate to other opinions posted here - sell it as is, and leave it for the next owner to decide what to do. Think of it this way -- if you spend, say, a couple hundred dollars to remove the engraving, how much are you really adding to the price of the watch? A few more dollars, if anyone will even be willing to pay more for the clean back.

Instead, do something nice like - if someone decides to get the watch with the engraving, split the price of the service in half (i.e: if the AD will charge you $100 to remove the engraving, that would be $50) and give that as a discount.

First kudos to your wife for divorcing a toolbag who has terrible taste in watches. OK, now onto your problem. I would sell it as is, I understand its a pricey piece but you're already $125 in on the battery change (robbery), why pump more into it. In fact why not ask your wife to trade it in for a watch for yourself? Surely if you traded it in for another watch for her the stigma of being funded by an ex's gift would be too much to bear. You could lift years of emotional baggage off her shoulders by getting say a Rolex BLNR for yourself. Post up pics when you get it.

Just wait for the nex "What to get my wife to our anniversary" thread. :)
    Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
    Just wait for the nex "What to get my wife to our anniversary" thread. :)
    That is an excellent idea! If someone is specifically looking for an anniversary present then the engraving on the back is a bonus to them especially if there is no date or names on there it will basically work for anyone

Thread Information