Selling a piece: advice and tips

Thread: Selling a piece: advice and tips

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Selling a piece: advice and tips

Hey guys,

I have an interested buyer for my Longines but the WUS poster is a new member with no post count. He wants me to ship to Thailand and I am skeptical. He said he will refer me to his references on WUS tomorrow. If these check out...do you guys think this is a safe transaction?

Buyer said he would pay via paypal. I know buyers are well protected but what abot sellers?

Just wanted to get everyone's input/advice on this.

Thanks.
    Ω Seamaster Professional Ceramic Blue 212.30.41.20.03.001
    Tudor Black Bay 58

Re: Selling a piece: advice and tips

It's always a judgment call. His reference would need to have a decent history and say something good via PM for me to consider that sale. I'd look for a safer buyer while you wait.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong... If he pays via PayPal, you would just want to hold onto the watch and not ship it until the funds clear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would agree with holding the funds. Let's say if finally clears in my account...what if the buyer files a dispute?
    Tudor Black Bay 58

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzyJ View Post
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong... If he pays via PayPal, you would just want to hold onto the watch and not ship it until the funds clear.
    With a wire transfer sure. Once that money hits it's yours. Safe for the seller, but not the buyer. With PayPal if the buyer disputes they could take the money back out later.

I think that you should wait for his references and make sure that payment clears prior to sending anything. Once you have the funds secured, then you can send the items. Make sure you have a paper trail regardless. As a successful seller here on WUS, this is my best advice on good business.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; August 29th, 2012 at 18:13.

With a wire transfer sure. Once that money hits it's yours. Safe for the seller, but not the buyer. With PayPal if the buyer disputes they could take the money back out later.
    Only if the PayPal transaction is a payment for purchase/goods. If it's a personal/gift, then the buyer has no protections (and there are no fees as well most of the time).

So, if you're unsure about a buyer, require payment as a gift. If the buyer is unwilling to lose buyer protections and you don't trust the buyer enough to sell with those protections in place, then find another buyer.

some great info, thank you guys for replying.

First, I will ask for references. If they check out, I will ask him to send via paypal gift. If not, I will move on.
    Tudor Black Bay 58

Not saying in the ad that buyers can or should make PayPal payments as gifts may skirt WUS rules:

1. Describing a sales transaction as a "gift" to avoid legitimate fees (i.e. PayPal), is illegal and violates Watchuseek rules and is subject to thread deletion or account suspension.

But it's asking someone to break PayPal's rules, which, if nothing else, isn't fair to that service and, according to the above WUS rule, is illegal.
    Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller | Eterna Super KonTiki 1973 Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jstroh View Post
    Not saying in the ad that buyers can or should make PayPal payments as gifts may skirt WUS rules:

1. Describing a sales transaction as a "gift" to avoid legitimate fees (i.e. PayPal), is illegal and violates Watchuseek rules and is subject to thread deletion or account suspension.

But it's asking someone to break PayPal's rules, which, if nothing else, isn't fair to that service and, according to the above WUS rule, is illegal.
    Beat me to it. I'd ask the seller to pay an additional 3% if you're worried about the fee. Also, make sure they transfer it in your country's currency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information