Selling to someone with low feedback. Advice needed.
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Selling to someone with low feedback. Advice needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Selling to someone with low feedback. Advice needed.

Hi guys.

I recently put my Ball engineer Ohio up for sale on the bay and some fella has just made me a reasonable offer.

The only issue is that he only has 3 feedbacks (all positive ) and his account has only been active since June 9th 2016.

He asked if it came with any links and i explained that it did but that i was also a little concerned due to his low feedback and recent account activation. He merely responded with " If it fits then i will buy it. "
    Then after a second email asking how he would be paying and that i couldn't post till Monday he replied
    "I'll pay with pay pal on Monday I'm away too ! Don't you worry I' will pay"
    Sooooo how do you guys recommend i should advance with this sale?

I know everyone has to start somewhere i'm just all to aware of the unscrupulous people in the world so things like this make me a little twitchy.

Is there anything i can check or ask to try and authenticate him as a genuine buyer?

Or am i just being overcautious?
    Last edited by All in the timing.; July 9th, 2016 at 18:02.

Re: Selling to someone with low feedback. Advice needed.

If you're selling this thru eBay (and using Paypal),
    I would definitely cross my t's and dot my i's, check with eBay seller protection program and make sure you do everything it asks - that said, it doesnt guarantee you issue-free, scam-free transaction, what it'll do is just minimize the chance of issues popping up,

if you're unsure of low feedback score buyers, you might want to put that restriction on your listing, you can still edit and add that to your listing

and how knowledgable are you with eBay/Paypal transaction?
    might worth it to google ebay/paypal fraud to familiarize yourself with tell-tale signs of frauds - but dont let it make you paranoid

be wary of emails from "paypal" claiming the item is paid for and awaiting shipping information for the fund to be released,

best of luck
    All in the timing. likes this.

If you're not totally happy with the deal then move on. He may be 100% genuine in which case you're the looser but his feedback may have been provided by his mum, dad and brother.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your advice gentlemen, i'v decided to take the plunge as he looks like a Halifax lad and not based in southern Nigeria so finger crossed and wish me luck.

This will either leave me crying into my cornflakes penniless or i will be back adorning a fresh new Aqua terra skyfall with the earnings.

I hear the echo's of Clint Eastwoods famous line. "Do you feel lucky? Well do ya punk?" ringing in my ears.

I'll keep you updated.
    omega1300 likes this.

we have to start somewhere, I remember the reason I registered/joined eBay was to buy a watch from a particular seller, it was a bit pricey and me on the other side of the world (was in Korea at that time) with 0 feedback :)

this is just my opinion, what I like about this is that the seller asked the right question, most scammers would just say I'll take it, no question asked,

this is eBay's "best practice" to help ensure maximum seller protection,
    eBay best practices | eBay seller center

make sure you use shipment with tracking number, signature require, don't deviate from the plan/policy,

might be helpful if you would take photos of the watch, along with its serial number, before you ship it - have some sort of documentation of the actual watch, just in case the buyer might return something else

let's hope you'll be sporting that Aqua Terra soon

If you're spooked, tell him no deal then block the buyer. You won't be affected nor will you get negative feedback. PayPal/eBay almost always sides with the buyer if something goes south.

I state in my listings that the buyer must have at least 10 sales or purchases before buying and at least a 99% positive feedback score.

And please remember, there are people out there who have built up terrible feedback scores and then started all over again with a new Ebay name, etc., to
    wipe out the bad stuff.

I'm concerned that he says, "If it fits I'll take it." He also says he'll pay you later. If I'm away I can still pay using PayPal, which is linked to my bank account.

Up to you on this one.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

I would be VERY concerned about this as well.

"I'm concerned that he says, "If it fits I'll take it." He also says he'll pay you later."

This pretty much means he can return it for any reason and just say "it does not fit".

According to paypal terms, that guy could wear the watch around a long time before deciding it does not fit and returning it. Paypal will back him and they will withdraw the money from your bank account.
    Wolfsatz likes this.

I can use ebay and paypal from my phone anywhere I have internet or cell data access. I buy and sell from my phone all the time.
    that being said....not everyone uses smartphones, or uses ebay/paypal from their phones. it may just be a matter of the buyer needing to get back to his home computer to complete the transaction.
    if its listed on ebay, and the time has not run out, then anyone can still purchase it from you. you dont have to hold it for anyone. if/when this person gets to where he can access his ebay and paypal account, if the watch is
    still available, he can purchase it.

a few ways you can protect yourself as a seller is to set up ebay for paypal only, and ONLY ship to VERIFIED paypal addresses!!
    a seller that does not have a verified paypal address, or asks you to ship to a different address would be a NO SALE for me.
    selling over the internet, whether on ebay, a forum, or wherever, is kinda like the wild wild west...
    if you want the convenience and wider market of internet buying and selling, you just have to do what you can to protect yourself and jump in.
    Make it hurt so bad, 'cause it feels so good when you stop.

WTM

I've only bought a few things on ebay and nothing
    expensive, but I always paid first then the item was
    shipped, which was what I expected. Can't the OP do
    the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information