Is the Sellita SW220-1 a "true" GMT movement
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Paulo 8135
  • 1 Post By cedargrove
  • 1 Post By Likestheshiny

Thread: Is the Sellita SW220-1 a "true" GMT movement

Is the Sellita SW220-1 a "true" GMT movement

Moderator: Please close this thread. I've made an error and misread the dial on the Eterna. What I thought was a GMT register, is only a date indicator. I'm an idiot and throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

I'm interested in adding another GMT to my collection and I've really liked the Eterna line for some time. To get an Eterna GMT would kill two birds with one stone. Add to that, Jomashop has it now at $595, and it's almost a no brainer. So why the thread, you ask?

I currently have two "GMT" watches in my collection, and I don't consider either of them a "true GMT." Without trying to rehash an old thread, my definition of the term is a movement that allows the wearer to move the hour hand independently of the minute hand and do so without hacking. Also, the date must be tied to the hour hand, not the GMT hand.

My current GMTs are the Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT and the FC Vintage Rally Healey GMT. The Ball watch has an independently movable GMT hand and the date is controlled by the hour hand. The FC has an independently movable hour hand but the date is controlled by the GMT hand.

So does anyone have knowledge of this movement? Does it have an independently movable hour had that also controls the date function?

Since no thread is complete without pics, here you go. Since I suck at photography, I stole all images from the interwebs.

Name:  FC dial.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  34.9 KBName:  ball-aviator-gmt.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  54.6 KBName:  Eterna KonTiki GMT.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  390.7 KB

Moderator: Please close this thread. I've made an error and misread the dial on the Eterna. What I thought was a GMT register, is only a date indicator. I'm an idiot and throw myself on the mercy of the forum.
    Last edited by chefmhf; July 6th, 2016 at 01:16.
    Michael

The Better
    Rolex Oysterquartz day/date 19018 (yellow gold); Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date 18039 (white gold); Rolex Yachtmaster 116622; Omega Seamaster Co-Axial Professional 2220.80; Eterna KonTiki Date 1220.41.63.0268; Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT GM1086C-L1-BK; Franck Muller Casablanca 5850 (Salmon dial); Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 111; Frederic Constant Vintage Rally Healey GMT FC350CH5B4

The Good
    Smiths Everest PRS-25, Seiko SKX009 Seiko Mini Ice Monster SRP481K1 Tissot T-Race T472; Technomarine Yacht; Citizen Aqualand (circa 1989); Swiss Legend Sprinter; Stuhrling Adamas Open Heart Regulator; Shinola Runwell 41mm; Raymond Weil Tango 5560; Benrus Curvex (Circa 1930); Seiko 5 Automatic SNK805

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Re: Is the Sellita SW220-1 a "true" GMT movement

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but just have to say, this is the first Kontiki I like!
    chefmhf likes this.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

I'm not sure about the movement, but all nice looking watches.
    chefmhf likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can totally see how you did that. I mean, there aren't 31 hours in a day, but once you already think that's a GMT dial it's pretty easy to keep seeing it that way.

But, at least I can answer your question: no, it's not
    lovebandit likes this.

Think the SW-220 is a clone of the ETA2893, neither of which are true GMT.

Wearer has to stop the movement to change time zone hour. The GMT hand does quickset, not the hour hand.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmhf View Post

I'm interested in adding another GMT to my collection and I've really liked the Eterna line for some time. To get an Eterna GMT would kill two birds with one stone. Add to that, Jomashop has it now at $595, and it's almost a no brainer. So why the thread, you ask?

I currently have two "GMT" watches in my collection, and I don't consider either of them a "true GMT." Without trying to rehash an old thread, my definition of the term is a movement that allows the wearer to move the hour hand independently of the minute hand and do so without hacking. Also, the date must be tied to the hour hand, not the GMT hand.

My current GMTs are the Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT and the FC Vintage Rally Healey GMT. The Ball watch has an independently movable GMT hand and the date is controlled by the hour hand. The FC has an independently movable hour hand but the date is controlled by the GMT hand.

So does anyone have knowledge of this movement? Does it have an independently movable hour had that also controls the date function?

Since no thread is complete without pics, here you go. Since I suck at photography, I stole all images from the interwebs.

Name:  FC dial.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  34.9 KBName:  ball-aviator-gmt.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  54.6 KBName:  Eterna KonTiki GMT.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  390.7 KB

I also thought that the "four hands" meant a GMT complication. My favourite GMT watch is the Fortis B42 diver GMT (white dial).

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Think the SW-220 is a clone of the ETA2893, neither of which are true GMT.

Wearer has to stop the movement to change time zone hour. The GMT hand does quickset, not the hour hand.
    I'm pretty sure that the SW220-1 is a clone of the ETA 2836-2.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmhf View Post
    Ok. Everyone is being very kind to you so I guess I may as well just close it.

Thread Information