Semi-Grail research. Vulcain Cricket.

Thread: Semi-Grail research. Vulcain Cricket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Semi-Grail research. Vulcain Cricket.

One of my goals is to own not only a wide variety of watches, but more specifically, collect an assortment of complications and maybe even own a few watches with historical significance. While the design is not my absolute favorite, the Vulcain Cricket is a mechanical alarm that has been worn by several presidents. This alone deserves my attention, and possibly even consideration. Here is some basic info that I have read that others may find useful:
    http://www.vulcain-uhren.de/en/about/cricket.htm

Does anyone on this forum have any good information on the Cricket? Where is a good place to get one for a reasonable amount of money? Does anyone have any personal experience (photos or otherwise) with this model? I don't know what it is, but I feel my heart flutter when I read or see pictures of this watch. I can't wait to hear one in person.

Is this the "hammer" at the 12:00-1:00 position? What does it strike, it is hard to tell. Would a saphire back be less resonate than the traditional two part back on the cricket?

Pocket: 1921 Elgin 313 / 1946 Hamilton 992B Railway Special
    Wrist: Omega Speedmaster Date (3210.50), Tag Heuer Carrera Twin-Time,Seiko Spirit SCVS0123, Fortis Pilot Pro PVD, Armani Dress, Swatch Irony Auto Skeleton, Victorinox Chrono Classic, Victorinox Maverick II.

Re: Semi-Grail research. Vulcain Cricket.

Here is a pic of a vintage Cricket borrowed from OC watch. Really nice vintage if you like older watches.

What's reasonable?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    What's reasonable?
    I guess I should have been clearer. I have seen the prices on these range from $120 to $1,200. I know there is a margin for price differences because they are vintage, but I have no clue where on the spectrum a decent value buy would be. I wouldn't need a mint piece, but would want something that would last as well.

Is there a resource for the different models/styles that have been made throughout the years?

Wrist: Omega Speedmaster Date (3210.50), Tag Heuer Carrera Twin-Time,Seiko Spirit SCVS0123, Fortis Pilot Pro PVD, Armani Dress, Swatch Irony Auto Skeleton, Victorinox Chrono Classic, Victorinox Maverick II.

I did see some on redfingerprint.com also Finertimes.com....

I don't know much about the sites but could be a place to start.

JR..

I used to have a Vulcain Cricket Nautical, which I recently traded. I bought it from Collector's Time about a year ago. Ferocious alarm. Unusual crown which both wound the movement counterclockwise, and wound the alarm clockwise. Never had a problem with it, although I have seen press about the 2 o'clock pusher having "issues" on some watches. The hands were tough for me to read so it never saw much wrist-time.

I have an IWC alarm watch, as well as a JLC Memovox. The Cricket ruled the alarm roost.

I love my nautical:

Only wear it occasionally due to perceived fragility and a super domed acrylic crystal. I bought mine used, had to have work done on it and I can honestly say Vulcain customer service was outstanding. Keep your eye out on the sales forums, various crickets come up for sale from time to time...
    Chris

Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off. Larry the Cable Guy

Wow, those nauticals are amazing. I have read several comparisons of alarm watches, and in all of them, the cricket scored the most points for alarm sound (although I think Louis Vuitons got a lot of points for the "note" on theirs as well. it just wasn't loud enough).

other articles I have come across highlighted the history of the watch as being a "true" presidents watch, since quite a few of them had one model or another.

Personally, I think I would really get some use out of the alarm function. I would like to go vintage just for costs, but the newer models look much better IMO. I will keep an eye open on the sales forum.

How does the 2:00 pusher work? Does it move the alarm ahead 15 minutes?

AAP

Hey, Darold. There's one on eBay right now, but it looks like it's seen better days.
    Alex

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." - Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey - 1950)

I found my favorite vulcain cricket on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

The seller relisted the watch for around $380 starting price but I don't have the auction number.

I was very intrigued by mechanical alarm watches, and I found the videos of Armbandwecker on youtube to be a wonderful resource. He has an extensive collection of mechanical alarm watches which he videos and I had the pleasure of getting some recommendations for my first mechanical alarm from him. Here is one Vulcain video of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au5G7olZSA0

And here is a page with all of his videos on: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...=Armbandwecker

Also here is an animation of the vulcain V10 movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpaQ8VugCVg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information