WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seriously Considering...............

2K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  JPfeuffer 
#1 ·
IF I go ahead it will be my only NEW watch, always bought used from gray market and WUS and very happy to.

As some know I love several brands and try not to limit myself to a particular stream.

Saw this released at Baselworld and immediately thought stunning.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

It will also be my only black watch and the ONLY watch I've ever financed.

Normally one to shy away big time from finance but now in a far stronger position financially to do so.

Any thoughts people.

I know, I know, asking for opinions can open a can of worms, but I was particularly interested in what folk think about the PVD coating, heard some stories of 'easily' scratched and more noticeable because of said coating.

Any thoughts welcome, good, bad and indifferent.

See less See more
Reactions: lvt
#2 ·
As this is a bigger purchase for you (I'm assuming based on your post) I would suggest letting it sit there for a while. It was only unveiled a week or so ago. Have you tried it on?

What I'm saying is don't jump into a major purchase too quickly in case it is a passing fancy.

#4 ·
Ahh, words of wisdom Brad.

Haven't tried it on 'yet' but will do before purchase.

And the words 'Passing Fancy' Brad are understood. I have been known to lust after a watch then change my mind.;-)

Thanks for being the voice of reason sir.

#3 ·
^^ What Brad said. I have imposed a 1-month cooling off period before i commit to buy a watch. You'd be surprised how many watches have come off my radar in that time period as a result.

Try it on in person as well - many watches look great in photos and even in the flesh, just not on the wrist.

And yeah, do look into the PVD thing and how easily it scratches - and ask yourself how you will handle it if it does get scratched.

#5 ·
^^ What Brad said. I have imposed a 1-month cooling off period before i commit to buy a watch. You'd be surprised how many watches have come off my radar in that time period as a result.

Try it on in person as well - many watches look great in photos and even in the flesh, just not on the wrist.

And yeah, do look into the PVD thing and how easily it scratches - and ask yourself how you will handle it if it does get scratched.
Excellent idea about a cooling off period vkalia.

I'm normally very okay with scratches and slight dings, but that has always been on SS, so yes it could have more of an impact with me on PVD.

Many thanks for the reply sir.

#6 ·
I have always been partial to the Monza (especially the cal 36 models).

However, this release doesn't do much for me. First, I'm really not partial to datewheels that contrast the color of the dial. Especially if it's on a PVD-coated watch. Second, I'm lukewarm on this particular movement (it's modular, which puts the chrono pushers out of alignment with the crown). Third, I find the red segments around the subdial at 9pm hideous.

If you beat on your watches pretty hard, I think PVD won't be the best choice. However, if you generally treat them well then I think one can get a lot of use out of a PVD watch without much fear of significant cosmetic flaws.

#7 ·
Thanks JarrodS.

Your thoughts are welcome sir, particularly about the movement being modular, something I hadn't considered.

I'm generally very careful with my watches, I certainly don't baby them, but careful all the same.

However a scratch on PVD would be magnified (to me at least) when compared to my SS pieces.

Thanks once again.

#9 ·
The only thing that catches my attention on this watch is the vintage-like lume.

Reactions: Eleuthera
#10 ·
Whatever you decide, that is a damn good looking watch!

#13 ·
Thank you mykii.

A damn fine looking watch. Just need to work out the pro's and con's.

I must admit the pro's are winning. ;-):)

#14 ·
It may just be me, but I would never finance a watch. If I can't save up enough cash to buy it up front, then either it isn't worth it, or I haven't prioritized it enough. Waiting to have the cash is also a good way to find out if you are still interested after some time has passed.

Do the math. Watch costs $XXXX.XX financed at XX.XX% for X number of years. Cost of watch + Interest paid = More, maybe much more than you might think.... meanwhile value of the watch goes down due to time and use.

Again, this is just my perspective. I don't finance anything if I can avoid it. Saving up has been a great way for me to find out what is actually something I want and what is a passing interest.

Cool watch though.

#15 ·
It may just be me, but I would never finance a watch ... Waiting to have the cash is also a good way to find out if you are still interested after some time has passed.
This. You'll never know if you really want it until you have to part with the full sum in one hit.

Also, you can't both negotiate a discount and get finance, so factor that in as well.

#21 ·
Hi there Monkey.

You're right, it's a lump of a watch.

I have no problem with that. And as you rightly point out the Pan Europ is large enough, but pales in comparison to my Steinhart Le Mans Heritage. Now that is one MASSIVE watch, I've even demolished a few door frames wearing this one :) and I love it.

Always been attracted to bigger watches and have in the past tried a few Monacos on and like the way they fit and feel.

#20 ·
You have received superior guidance from the preceding members. Allow me to add my suggestion to proceed slowly to let the pizzazz (sp.) cool down and re-consider financing. While all the cautions regarding PVD and DLC are correct, I have have had watches with both and, being extra careful, never (lucky ??) had a real problem. I have noticed DLC is definitely better. Maintained in good shape, the black can have a great look.

#23 ·
Thanks drummer.

Makes me me feel a bit more secure sir. As I said previously I'm careful with my watches, I don't baby them but still careful.

Thanks for the reply drummer, it's all sinking in and still looking at it as a very viable proposition

#24 ·
I also really like this watch and I'm looking for something automotive inspired. I really like the Chopard MM series watches and almost bought one recently, however, this Monza is very unique. My Vnox DM500 has a PVD coating and it's held up completely fine over the last 3 years. I wouldn't be worried here either. As far as financing goes, I suppose it depends on the terms. If you are that tight on cash, you know you won't grow tired of it after several years, and the interest rate is at or close to 0% (<2%), I would potentially consider it. As an aside, I think it's absolutely hillarious that people get so worked up about people using credit cards to purchase watches. It suggests to me that a lot of people on this forum don't understand how CC actually work. First off, if purchased at the right time, you have a month to come up the funds to pay off the watch and secondly, if you have a good CC, you will get a ton of points or cash back on the purchase of an expensive watch. Guess what--my new Rolex was purchased on a CC and it will be paid off when the bill is due in May. Win-Win, IMO. If you don't use your CC as a form of medium or long-term financing, then I think all is good.

#27 ·
As an aside, I think it's absolutely hillarious that people get so worked up about people using credit cards to purchase watches. It suggests to me that a lot of people on this forum don't understand how CC actually work. First off, if purchased at the right time, you have a month to come up the funds to pay off the watch and secondly, if you have a good CC, you will get a ton of points or cash back on the purchase of an expensive watch. Guess what--my new Rolex was purchased on a CC and it will be paid off when the bill is due in May. Win-Win, IMO. If you don't use your CC as a form of medium or long-term financing, then I think all is good.
I'd probably do the same, actually. I'd have the extra cash set aside beforehand, do the actual purchase on the card to earn whatever points I can, then pay it off as soon as it hits. I need to pay for Thanksgiving airline tickets somehow. ;)

#28 ·
It will also be my only black watch and the ONLY watch I've ever financed.

Normally one to shy away big time from finance but now in a far stronger position financially to do so.

Any thoughts people.
Do I understand you correctly that you're saying you're more financially sound so you want to finance a watch? I'm very adverse to debt. I don't think it makes sense to finance a luxury item, especially one that is depreciating in value. I'd get down and dirty with the budget so you can buy the watch out right. When you save then buy I think I appreciate the item more.

#34 ·
For what its worth folks I was in baselworld and went straight to see this reference... Looks amazing in the photos but it is really huge / thick, nothing like the fine propprtions of the original. Plus in 2016... Black should be DLC not PVD as the latter can scratch....

Inviato dal mio LioiPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

#40 ·
For what its worth folks I was in baselworld and went straight to see this reference... Looks amazing in the photos but it is really huge / thick, nothing like the fine propprtions of the original. Plus in 2016... Black should be DLC not PVD as the latter can scratch....

Inviato dal mio LioiPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Yet to see it in person Lallasia, but WILL do before purchase, just to make sure.

My Steinhart is a little larger so no problem for me, but I do realise it could be seen as BIG to some.

#43 ·
Usual advice is to drop Acejewellers a line to see what they can do for you.
Thing to keep in mind though, is that Tagheuer are pretty good with their release dates.

It's likely to see wide uk distribution until late Sept for Basel watches so you have a little time yet to see how viable purchase is.

#46 ·
Hi there Monkey.

Having spoken to my dealer it looks as though it will be an August/September release.

So still time to cool down yet.;-)

#47 ·
Unfortunatley Genebe I gave up drinking many many years ago.

Now coffee wires me, up all hours, pondering my latest purchase.

Damn you coffee, damn you, let me sleep.:)

#45 ·
It's not for me but it's a cool looking watch from a company with an auto racing heritage. But here are my two thoughts since you asked:

1) Only finance if you can get 0% or you want the watch so badly the vig doesn't matter.

2) If you have to finance a watch you may be over your head price wise and might want to consider something less expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.