Seriously Considering...............
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Seriously Considering...............

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    Member Eleuthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hertford. UK
    Posts
    646

    Seriously Considering...............

    IF I go ahead it will be my only NEW watch, always bought used from gray market and WUS and very happy to.

    As some know I love several brands and try not to limit myself to a particular stream.

    Saw this released at Baselworld and immediately thought stunning.

    Name:  MONZATAG-Heuer-2016-Monza.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  114.2 KB

    It will also be my only black watch and the ONLY watch I've ever financed.

    Normally one to shy away big time from finance but now in a far stronger position financially to do so.

    Any thoughts people.

    I know, I know, asking for opinions can open a can of worms, but I was particularly interested in what folk think about the PVD coating, heard some stories of 'easily' scratched and more noticeable because of said coating.

    Any thoughts welcome, good, bad and indifferent.
    lvt likes this.
    Hamilton LE Pan Europ Chrono Blue.
    Steinhart Le Mans Heritage Chrono.
    Seiko Sumo SPB029J.
    Seiko Sumo SBDC017.
    Doxa 750T LE.
    Doxa 300T.
    Seiko 6139.

  2. #2
    Moderator Emeritus Bradjhomes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38,201

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    As this is a bigger purchase for you (I'm assuming based on your post) I would suggest letting it sit there for a while. It was only unveiled a week or so ago. Have you tried it on?

    What I'm saying is don't jump into a major purchase too quickly in case it is a passing fancy.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011



  3. #3
    Member vkalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    A small tropical island
    Posts
    7,185

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    ^^ What Brad said. I have imposed a 1-month cooling off period before i commit to buy a watch. You'd be surprised how many watches have come off my radar in that time period as a result.

    Try it on in person as well - many watches look great in photos and even in the flesh, just not on the wrist.

    And yeah, do look into the PVD thing and how easily it scratches - and ask yourself how you will handle it if it does get scratched.
    Eleuthera and Perseus like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Eleuthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hertford. UK
    Posts
    646

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    As this is a bigger purchase for you (I'm assuming based on your post) I would suggest letting it sit there for a while. It was only unveiled a week or so ago. Have you tried it on?

    What I'm saying is don't jump into a major purchase too quickly in case it is a passing fancy.
    Ahh, words of wisdom Brad.

    Haven't tried it on 'yet' but will do before purchase.

    And the words 'Passing Fancy' Brad are understood. I have been known to lust after a watch then change my mind.

    Thanks for being the voice of reason sir.
    Hamilton LE Pan Europ Chrono Blue.
    Steinhart Le Mans Heritage Chrono.
    Seiko Sumo SPB029J.
    Seiko Sumo SBDC017.
    Doxa 750T LE.
    Doxa 300T.
    Seiko 6139.

  6. #5
    Member Eleuthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hertford. UK
    Posts
    646

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    ^^ What Brad said. I have imposed a 1-month cooling off period before i commit to buy a watch. You'd be surprised how many watches have come off my radar in that time period as a result.

    Try it on in person as well - many watches look great in photos and even in the flesh, just not on the wrist.

    And yeah, do look into the PVD thing and how easily it scratches - and ask yourself how you will handle it if it does get scratched.
    Excellent idea about a cooling off period vkalia.

    I'm normally very okay with scratches and slight dings, but that has always been on SS, so yes it could have more of an impact with me on PVD.

    Many thanks for the reply sir.
    Hamilton LE Pan Europ Chrono Blue.
    Steinhart Le Mans Heritage Chrono.
    Seiko Sumo SPB029J.
    Seiko Sumo SBDC017.
    Doxa 750T LE.
    Doxa 300T.
    Seiko 6139.

  7. #6
    Member JarrodS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    I have always been partial to the Monza (especially the cal 36 models).

    However, this release doesn't do much for me. First, I'm really not partial to datewheels that contrast the color of the dial. Especially if it's on a PVD-coated watch. Second, I'm lukewarm on this particular movement (it's modular, which puts the chrono pushers out of alignment with the crown). Third, I find the red segments around the subdial at 9pm hideous.

    If you beat on your watches pretty hard, I think PVD won't be the best choice. However, if you generally treat them well then I think one can get a lot of use out of a PVD watch without much fear of significant cosmetic flaws.
    Eleuthera likes this.

  8. #7
    Member Eleuthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hertford. UK
    Posts
    646

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    Quote Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post
    I have always been partial to the Monza (especially the cal 36 models).

    However, this release doesn't do much for me. First, I'm really not partial to datewheels that contrast the color of the dial. Especially if it's on a PVD-coated watch. Second, I'm lukewarm on this particular movement (it's modular, which puts the chrono pushers out of alignment with the crown). Third, I find the red segments around the subdial at 9pm hideous.

    If you beat on your watches pretty hard, I think PVD won't be the best choice. However, if you generally treat them well then I think one can get a lot of use out of a PVD watch without much fear of significant cosmetic flaws.
    Thanks JarrodS.

    Your thoughts are welcome sir, particularly about the movement being modular, something I hadn't considered.

    I'm generally very careful with my watches, I certainly don't baby them, but careful all the same.

    However a scratch on PVD would be magnified (to me at least) when compared to my SS pieces.

    Thanks once again.
    Hamilton LE Pan Europ Chrono Blue.
    Steinhart Le Mans Heritage Chrono.
    Seiko Sumo SPB029J.
    Seiko Sumo SBDC017.
    Doxa 750T LE.
    Doxa 300T.
    Seiko 6139.

  9. #8
    Member JarrodS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleuthera View Post
    Your thoughts are welcome sir, particularly about the movement being modular, something I hadn't considered.
    Here is a review:
    TAG Heuer Calibre 17: Review | The Home of TAG Heuer Collectors

    I'm generally very careful with my watches, I certainly don't baby them, but careful all the same.
    However a scratch on PVD would be magnified (to me at least) when compared to my SS pieces.
    That's the thing - even if you are very careful, there is never a guarantee that there won't be a mishap that could damage the finish in an obvious place. I have owned a couple watches with PVD/DLC finishes and have been fortunate. However, even with the greatest care the finish will eventually wear at the sharp edges/angles of the case. This is unavoidable. I don't find it objectionable but it is something to consider. Look at pics of used PVD/DLC cases in the sales forum to get an idea of what you might be dealing with a few years down the road.

    Best of luck with your decision.
    Last edited by JarrodS; March 29th, 2016 at 11:50.
    Eleuthera likes this.

  10. #9
    lvt
    lvt is offline
    Member lvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    17,292

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    The only thing that catches my attention on this watch is the vintage-like lume.
    Eleuthera likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

  11. #10
    Member mykii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Seriously Considering...............

    Whatever you decide, that is a damn good looking watch!
    Eleuthera likes this.
    Ω Omega Seamaster NOS Soccer Timer 145.019
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue 79220B
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer
    WAN2111.BA0822
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage OVM Military Maxi LE #274/300
    Seiko Prospex Monster SRP581

    The Hit-List: Omega Ploprof 1200m, JLC Reverso, Breguet La Tradition, IWC Aquatimer, Rolex 'Hulk' Sub, TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •