Service my grail now!
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Service my grail now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Service my grail now!

OK, why have I started this thread... not sure...

basically I want to know how much you WIS's believe in servicing your watch?

I was lucky that I bought my grail watch in 2001, (the below watch for you pic lovers!)

But I never thought about how much I should service it, but recently after reading this website so much I decided to check its timekeeping, I found that it was losing 12 secs a day... not bad for a 13 year old watch, but obviously needs help, so have sent it off for service!

My point is, how much do you guys/ladies actually service your watches and what intervals?

Name:  P7160164.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  231.1 KB
    Name:  P7160182 1.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  174.2 KB
    Name:  P3130159.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  195.7 KB
    DarthVedder likes this.

Re: Service my grail now!

Service when needed or every 5-6 years (maybe a little longer...)
    CMTFR likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I think it depends on a lot of factors - such as the age of the watch, newer watches don't require the same service due in part to the type of lubrication that is used, the advance in materials (reducing friction by using different materials) - knowledge of watch makers in strengthening weak points in design etc. also, do you swim with it? If so- probably want water resistance checked more often, do you do any of your own servicing? For example, a lot of people will demagnetized their own watch - and often that may push servicing off another year or two. Another factor is - how expensive was the watch - or I should say how expensive are parts for it- is it better to let it run until there is a problem and pay for the fix or cheaper to keep up with regular service and pay 400-500 every 5 years etc. I think it's a tough answer. Personally, if it's running well, I don't service it unless I'm worried about water seals - and those can usually be checked at a good watch maker while you wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    English Gent likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joePRS View Post
    I think it depends on a lot of factors - such as the age of the watch, newer watches don't require the same service due in part to the type of lubrication that is used, the advance in materials (reducing friction by using different materials) - knowledge of watch makers in strengthening weak points in design etc. also, do you swim with it? If so- probably want water resistance checked more often, do you do any of your own servicing? For example, a lot of people will demagnetized their own watch - and often that may push servicing off another year or two. Another factor is - how expensive was the watch - or I should say how expensive are parts for it- is it better to let it run until there is a problem and pay for the fix or cheaper to keep up with regular service and pay 400-500 every 5 years etc. I think it's a tough answer. Personally, if it's running well, I don't service it unless I'm worried about water seals - and those can usually be checked at a good watch maker while you wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be honest due to my rotation of watches, I don't use it everyday, so is it like a car?, that if you use it more, it gets worn out? or should it be kept in action, to keep the gears working and fluid?

I start getting concerned when they drop to about 15 sec/day, though I've never used the watch company for service. I have a great local guy who is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    Service when needed or every 5-6 years (maybe a little longer...)
    If purchasing new, I generally agree. If the watch is keeping time, and is not subject to conditions requiring any seals to be tested for deterioration, etc. I would leave well enough alone.

If purchasing used, I would suggest the watch be serviced because even though the watch may look fine on the outside, and not knowing its history, would want to confirm everything is fine on the inside.
    CMTFR likes this.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Quote Originally Posted by English Gent View Post
    To be honest due to my rotation of watches, I don't use it everyday, so is it like a car?, that if you use it more, it gets worn out? or should it be kept in action, to keep the gears working and fluid?
    This is a very good question, I've heard arguments both ways. My personal approach is not to use a winder and just set whatever I'm gong to wear each day. If they stop and sit for awhile so be it
    English Gent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    This is a very good question, I've heard arguments both ways. My personal approach is not to use a winder and just set whatever I'm gong to wear each day. If they stop and sit for awhile so be it
    Yes, I wonder when I see people talk about watch winders, if its to keep the watch at the right time when they pick it up on monday morning, or to keep the movement going for a good reason?

I just went through the same thought process. My grail was purchased in 2000, and had never been serviced. I wear it probably once a week on average, but I keep it wound everyday. Never noticed a problem, but just realized this year that I'd had the watch so long. I found a local watchmaker, and except for a little hiccup, it went fine. They took a few days less than advertised and no surprises. And I'll say that while I didn't really notice problems before, he obviously adjusted it because it's pretty much dead on now.

But in general, I'll go a while before service, unless it's a vintage piece of unknown heritage. For those, I have another local watchmaker that is very cheap but does good work. I haven't trusted him for my nicer pieces but for vintage watches of a few hundred dollars, he's my go to guy. I may let him have at a nicer piece at some point.

BTW, that's a gorgeous watch! i can see why it is/was your grail.
    Last edited by rfortson; August 22nd, 2014 at 16:55.
    English Gent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by English Gent View Post
    Yes, I wonder when I see people talk about watch winders, if its to keep the watch at the right time when they pick it up on monday morning, or to keep the movement going for a good reason?
    Both...My old watch guy, advised a winder, because a watch is designed to be worn every day...No place in any watch manual that I've read
    does it mention 'Or longer based upon number of days worn a year.'
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information