Is Service worth it?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is Service worth it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is Service worth it?

Hi All - pls advise

I have a watch that Ive had for 23yrs - a Breitling Superocean colt auto. It has a little sentimental value but not much inherent value as is - I haven't worn it for well over a decade, and it's in need of some TLC: new crown & sleeve, new Bezel ratchet, new crystal, new hands, full service. It was running well and keeping good time but when the Luminova on the hollow bayonet watch hands flaked and came off, it was left unloved.

I think this is gonna be at least £500. I think once serviced it could be worth north of £1000 - but ..... is it worth me doing this? or flipping it as it is? I wore it through the late 1990's and early 2000's but almost never after 2005 when I bought a larger, less shiny Breitling Avenger - now also long gone.

what would you do?

si
    Last edited by Simon; September 8th, 2018 at 18:18.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: Is Service worth it?

Only you can answer your question.

If you want to sell it it will need a service, but check your re-sale value to be sure you will not be out of pocket.

If you want to wear it it will need a service.

Or look to putting the money to a new watch and stick it back in the drawer.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

I would only service it if you plan to wear it. Not to sell it. Because I’m assuming what you will get for it after service will not cover the service costs?
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If I were you, if I know 100% for sure I could sell it for how ever much (to at least recoup service cost), maybe I'd service it. If not, then I might sell as-is, set price lower given condition, and allow buyer to choose what to do with the watch. (But this is coming from me, who has little experience in selling.)

If I were you, one fallback option might be, if I have it serviced, and it doesn't sell, I could wear, or at least enjoy looking at it. But if I know I would never wear/enjoy it again, then I might forego service and sell as-is.

But the problem then is, it looks mangy, and few might want to buy, unless someone is buying for parts? One option is to try flipping as-is, and if that doesn't work, try service and sell?

You "think" all this can be done for £500? I would want a fairly firm number before proceeding, especially since you're going to sell it.

Also, if the reluming isn't done correctly and an incorrect crystal and/or crown are installed it could actually devalue the piece.

I personally wouldn't jump right into this one.
    "Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

You won't recover the cost of service and refurbishment. Just sell it as is and move on to a new watch.
    Chris Stark and oztech like this.

Don't put money into it--no way does it make sense to service it just to sell it, where you would likely need to spend more than you are thinking, and you would even more likely lose money on the deal--get what you can for it as is--cut your losses and move on.

Thanks for input so far
    much wisdom here

Yes, this is exactly my conundrum - I dont intend to wear, maybe flip or give to my son - but if its worth £1k serviced and I have to spend much of that value servicing it, what is the point? I feel stuck - and have done for a few years - which is one reason it has stayed in the drawer.

Yesterday I asked my local top drawer jeweller who has 4 onsite watchmakers servicing watches (including Rolex & Omega) however they have to send Breitling back to Breitling service 'cos they can't source original parts. They told me the service was north of £500 - but I reckon nearer £750. ugh - boring!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Thanks for input so far
    much wisdom here

Yes, this is exactly my conundrum - I dont intend to wear, maybe flip or give to my son - but if its worth £1k serviced and I have to spend much of that value servicing it, what is the point? I feel stuck - and have done for a few years - which is one reason it has stayed in the drawer.

Yesterday I asked my local top drawer jeweller who has 4 onsite watchmakers servicing watches (including Rolex & Omega) however they have to send Breitling back to Breitling service 'cos they can't source original parts. They told me the service was north of £500 - but I reckon nearer £750. ugh - boring!
    I would strongly doubt that Breitling will service and replace all of those items for £750. More like double.
    John MS likes this.
    "Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Only have it serviced if you plan to keep it and wear it. If your ultimate goal is to sell it then flip it as is.
    Xspect likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information