Servicing
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Servicing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Servicing

So I'm curious about servicing a watch. I have no idea what the benefits are to servicing the watch, I may be wrong but it sounds like its for more high end watches which I don't have seeing as I'm still in high school. So I can't tell afford all the expensive watches I would like to own. I did recently get an Invicta as a birthday present. And then the next day I went out and bought myself a Seiko 5.

Anyways I am curious about servicing what does it do, what are the advantages/disadvantages of it if there are any? And how long before you service your watch. Thanks
    If your were curious of the watches I got here they are

Seiko SNK809

Invicta 2614

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    rfortson and swissgmt like this.

Re: Servicing

my first thought beyond ask Dr Google is a mechanical watch servicing for those 2 (which are totally fine by the way) will likely cost more than the watch itself. now if you'd like to preserve those watches for sentimental reasons, perhaps passing down as your "first real watch" to future kids it may be worth having them serviced in the next 5-10 years. think of it as a tuneup or oil change on your car. a mechanical watch is a piece of machinery made up of many small parts and consumables/...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no advantages or disadvantages, as in, it won't improve your watch or make it worse in any way. A service will simply make your watch do what it's supposed to do.

However, chances are your mechanical watch will start to lose/gain time over the years. Maybe +/- 10 to 30 seconds / day is fine, but you probably won't be able to stand +/- minutes / day.

Also, as one of my watches did, it could just simply stop running.

Either case, you will need a service, if the watch is worth more to you than the service fee.
    Last edited by Howi; October 21st, 2015 at 00:33.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Servicing your watch is like servicing your car. Servicing them keeps them running smoothly and mostly without issues. Not really any disadvantages - mainly just a ding in your wallet and time spent away from your watch. I've seen servicing intervals range from 3 to 5 years. I think Rolex is around 5 years, Longines is around 4-5 years. That really depends on what the company recommends. Most of the time you read about people servicing higher end watches is because people don't want to drop that much on a watch then not make sure it's well taken care of (I think, anyway).

I service my watches myself. It's fun, and a lot cheaper than taking them to a shop.
    In basic terms, all mechanical watches will need servicing, not just the high end ones. It's just that it so expensive to get it done properly. If you don't get it done the oil inside the watch kind of 'dries out' and the watch stops working. Modern oils are a lot better, but you will eventually find you watch needs servicing if you want to keep using it.
    When it comes to the service basically all you are doing is taking the watch apart and clearing out all the old oil and giving the insides a good clean, then you put a few drops of fresh oil on all the jewels and put it all back together.

Just think of it as, preventive maintenance.

The advantage to servicing a mechanical watch involve extending it's lifetime beyond yours. There is no reason a Seiko 5 should not last a long time if lubricants are replaced every 5-6 years..
    The disadvantage to servicing a mechanical watch is that it will cost money...right now around $350 depending on where you live.

So with an inexpensive watch you may want to recast this as a cost to repair vs a cost to replace discussion. If you can find a comparable Seiko 5 watch for less than the cost of a service it might be better to not service the watch. Just run it until you no longer like the looks or the movement is performing so poorly that a replacement is required.

Quote Originally Posted by txfordguy View Post
    Servicing your watch is like servicing your car. Servicing them keeps them running smoothly and mostly without issues. Not really any disadvantages - mainly just a ding in your wallet and time spent away from your watch. I've seen servicing intervals range from 3 to 5 years. I think Rolex is around 5 years, Longines is around 4-5 years. That really depends on what the company recommends. Most of the time you read about people servicing higher end watches is because people don't want to drop that much on a watch then not make sure it's well taken care of (I think, anyway).
    Rolex now lists 10 years between service and I think Omega is about to do the same. I've never seen a 3 year service interval. I typically go longer than 5 years if I happen to keep a watch that long.

To the OP, nice watches. That Seiko is a classic and the Invicta is nice looking as well. Don't worry about service for a while. Once you're out of HS, you can decide what you want to do then.

Never heard of three, I remember one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Rolex now lists 10 years between service and I think Omega is about to do the same. I've never seen a 3 year service interval. I typically go longer than 5 years if I happen to keep a watch that long.

To the OP, nice watches. That Seiko is a classic and the Invicta is nice looking as well. Don't worry about service for a while. Once you're out of HS, you can decide what you want to do then.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Never heard of three, I remember one.
    Wow, who had the guts to list a 1 year service interval? Was it Lucien Picard? Is that why we never see yours?

Seriously, name and shame the 1 year service interval recommendation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information