Seth thomas mystery solved.

Thread: Seth thomas mystery solved.

Seth thomas mystery solved.

I recieved today a advertisement for Westclox Quartzmatic wrist watches.The ad claim Westclox pioneered quartz crystal technology.There were four watches in the ad A and B were LcD digitals C wasa day date calendar in silvertone on an expansion bracelet but it was watch D ,which interested me with a squarish cushion case in goldtone with and plain rectangular hour markers it looked almost exactly like my Seth Thomas and the movement operates at 32,768 oscillations per second .This is prominent in the ad and is printed above the 6 on my watch above that is the name Quartzmatic.I read the ad and found that westclox was a division of General Time which was a Talley industries company.I looked up General Time and did not find much .I then looked up Talley Industries and found General Time made watches under the Westclox and Seth Thomas brands ,therefore my watch was manufactured along with Seth Thomas watches this would account for the similiarity in style and movement.
    Last edited by James Haury; August 28th, 2009 at 20:07.

Re: Seth thomas mystery solved.

Quote Originally Posted by James Haury View Post
    I recieved today a advertisement for Westclox Quartzmatic wrist watches.The ad claim Westclox pioneered quartz crystal technology.There were four watches in the ad A and B were LcD digitals C wasa day date calendar in silvertone on an expansion bracelet but it was watch D ,which interested me with a squarish cushion case in goldtone with and plain rectangular hour markers it looked almost exactly like my Seth Thomas and the movement operates at 32,768 oscillations per second. This is prominent in the ad and is printed above the 6 on my watch above that is the name Quartzmatic.I read the ad and found that westclox was a division of General Time which was a Talley industries company.I looked up General Time and did not find much .I then looked up Talley Industries and found General Time made watches under the Westclox and Seth Thomas brands ,therefore my watch was manufactured along with Seth Thomas watches this would account for the similiarity in style and movement.
    I may be reading too much into their statement, but it sounds like they are saying Westclox preceded the efforts of Seiko and the Swiss consortium in developing a quartz timed watch movement. It's possible I suppose, but it runs counter to everything I've read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I may be reading too much into their statement, but it sounds like they are saying Westclox preceded the efforts of Seiko and the Swiss consortium in developing a quartz timed watch movement. It's possible I suppose, but it runs counter to everything I've read so far.
    It is what it is.I will not get into a flame war about it.That is what the ad says whether it is true or not is something you need to take up with the ad agency if they still exist.I am simply happy to know the history of my watch which I am very fond of.
    Last edited by James Haury; August 31st, 2009 at 03:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    The quartz movement was invented in Bell laboratories in the late 1930s by a Canadian engineer employed by Bell. The USA was the first country in the world to go over to quartz time in 1941.

The first digital watches were also American. Both the Swiss and the Japanese learned heavily on this technology for quartz analog watches and Japanese watches were often outright copies of Swiss technology.

The quartz movement was invented in Bell laboratories in the late 1930s by a Canadian engineer employed by Bell. The USA was the first country in the world to go over to quartz time in 1941.
    And that of course does not show Westclox making the first quartz watch nor does it show Westclox pioneering that technology. Nor does it show who developed and produced a practical watch that could be delivered to consumers.

The first digital watches were also American. Both the Swiss and the Japanese learned heavily on this technology for quartz analog watches and Japanese watches were often outright copies of Swiss technology.
    The first numeric display quartz watches in the marketplace I'm aware of are the Pulsars that I believe entered the marketplace in 1972. But it might have been late 1971. Of course those were preceded by swiss and japanese analog quartz watches in the market place. And the LED was quickly replaced by the LCD and the Pulsar brand was acquired by Seiko in 1978.

The american contributions that really helped make electronic timekeeping something useful was the development of the transistor and the IC.

[QUOTE=John MS;2213447]And that of course does not show Westclox making the first quartz watch nor does it show Westclox pioneering that technology. Nor does it show who developed and produced a practical watch that could be delivered to consumers.[QUOTE/]

No,but it corrects mistaken notions about who invented the quartz movement.

[Quote]The first numeric display quartz watches in the marketplace I'm aware of are the Pulsars that I believe entered the marketplace in 1972. But it might have been late 1971. Of course those were preceded by swiss and japanese analog quartz watches in the market place. The American contributions that really helped make electronic timekeeping something useful was the development of the transistor and the IC.[QUOTE/]

American contributions was the keystone to the development of electronic timekeeping, as it included such fundamental inventions as the quartz movement itself, the stepping motor, the transistor, the digital display and the IC. The first analog quartz watch made by the Swiss relied heavily on American engineering, particular participation by Texas Instruments, which at that time was a watch manufacturer also.

Hamilton was also a pathfinder with the world's first electric watch, and Bulova brought the world the first electronic tuning fork watch, although the engineer who invented it was Swiss, and the tuning fork electronic movement, an English invention, had already by that time existed in clock size for nearly 100 years.

Thread Information