Setting the minute hand when hacking....
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Setting the minute hand when hacking....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Setting the minute hand when hacking....

...so humor me. I have 3 autos, all with the Valjoux 7750. When setting the time I stop the second hand at zero, set the minute hand at the next minute according to my atomic clock and when when the time comes round I push the crown in to strt the watch.

I have noticed that sometimes after a few hours when the second hand is right on TDC (zero), the minute hand is not perfectly aligned with the minute marker. I see there is a slight bit of play when setting the minute hand to get it just right.

OK, so I'm nit picking but my question is, when setting the minute hand is it best to go backwards a bit and then forward to stop at the minute I want, or, is it better to go past and then back to the minute I want.

Hope that's clear.

thanks,

Rob

Re: Setting the minute hand when hacking....

Are you sure that when you push the crown back in, the minute hand doesn't move slightly out of place? Happens to some of my watches when setting the time and it is quite annoying.

Yeah, I've noticed that too and am very careful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It seems that Japanese and German watch companies come out with instruction manuals with details that one needs.

Sinn has time setting instruction for a Valjoux 7750 based watch: http://www.sinn.de/en/Download/Bedie...orvette_EN.pdf "For a precise setting we recommend to pass beyond the desired minute position and set the hand backwards."

This seems to be how Japanese quartz watches should be set too, so it might be how watches in general should be set. For a Seiko quartz watch: "When setting the minute hand, advance it 4 to 5 minutes ahead of the desired time and then turn it back to the exact minute." Note the slight bit more detail from Seiko! Try setting the minute hand this way and see if it helps.
    Last edited by rdoder; August 4th, 2014 at 14:19.
    Time On My Hands and rfortson like this.

Yep, that is what I do too. Set the watch a couple of minutes ahead, then adjust the minute hand backwards.

My understanding has always been that this is done to eliminate the slack in the wheels, so that the indirect minute drive is immediately engaged.

If you set it forward only, then the seconds hand will run for 20-40 seconds before the slack to the minute hand is eliminated and it starts driving forward (and thus showing a bit out of sync).

It's different with different watches - some work properly, but my 7750 I have to set the minute hand to to half way through the next minute (IIRC, might be the one before) so that it's on the exact minute when the seconds hand is at 0.

Edit: I'll try setting backwards tonight - didn't know that.

Rolex sucks at this. Their hands have a real bounce to them. You need to go way back past the time you want then come back forwards to it (even if you are you already back, ie adjusting forward, and you need to go forward, back and forward again). It's a pain..
    aardvarkbark likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case

I agree, it annoys me a lot when the minute hand it's not on the marker when the second hand passes the 12. I usually set the minutes hand backwards, that solves it for most of my watches.

I always set the minute forward. After that I turn the crown a bit backward without moving the minute hand - this way I allow some tolerance when I push the crown in winding position (the hand will not move).

Thanks, guess I wasn't alone in this...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information