WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

SEVENFRIDAY: P1-1 Overview by Timeless Luxury Watches

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Timeless: Now WoS 
#1 ·
SEVENFRIDAY: P1-1 Overview by Timeless Luxury Watches

Today we get to look at the funky lineup from an innovative newcomer, SEVENFRIDAY (I'll call them 7F for brevity). They bring a fresh look to an industrial mechanical watch design at a surprisingly affordable price point.

The particular model we're looking at today is the P1-1, the flagship of 7F's lineup. Speaking abstractly, 7F basically makes one watch, but in wildly different variations of color and materials. This is the original and probably has the broadest appeal, but I encourage you to check out Timeless' website for the full panoply of models. I particularly like the black, red accented P2-2, but it seems like everyone has their own favorite.

The most interesting aspects of 7F are probably its dial (followed closely by its case). This is where the industrial design is featured most prominently. The extremely large minute hand and smaller, bronze-colored hour hand sticking out beneath it are very striking and easier to read than you might suspect.

The dial also features two exposed rotating subdials, not unlike the TAG Heuer Grand Carrera models. The first is a seconds subdial. Because the subdial itself moves, as opposed to a hand, the pointer you see adjacent to it is fixed. It's a very avant garde touch, accentuated by the fact that the pointer is intentionally not aligned with 12:00.

The second subdial is a 24 hour indicator. Because it is not independently set, it is slaved to the hour hand and thus indicates weather it is AM or PM. Again, the pointer is not centered at 12:00 making for an interesting touch while not making it more difficult to read.

Another prominent feature of the dial is a refreshing open heart. While some consider this flourish passé, I'm not among them. Especially nice is the underlying Miyota 82S7's signature open shock on the capstone, as it better exposes the ruby. The view underneath is quite good despite the interesting and unusual choice not to give the watch an exposed caseback.

The overall look cannot be described as symmetrical per se, but the round shapes of the subdials, hour hand and open heart do give it a pleasantly coherent design.

The quality of the dial is also quite nice, with a mixture of different colors, surfaces and textures, notably contrasting guilloche designs.

I mentioned earlier that the case is the second most interesting aspect of the watch. The case is actually nearly a perfect square, at 47 by 47.6 mm, and each model has a different polish or material wrapped around it. In fact, in one model, it is actually wrapped in wood.

The caseback continues the industrial design and even offers some interesting information. The dimensions of the case, the particulars of the movement and the depth rating are listed. 7F watches use a solid caseback, but those who enjoy looking at the movement will likely be satisfied by the presence of the open heart on the front.

7F watches feature an interesting integrated lug design that makes it wear a little smaller than you'd suspect.

7F watches can be handwound and set via their non-screwdown crown. Its large and grippy design makes it very easy to wind and set. The engraved spokes give it the appearance of a cog, which is an interesting touch.

The strap is surprisingly nice. You might expect something very rough and tough to match the industrial design, but 7F uses a very soft suede-esque material.

The exterior is a conservative piano black with an old school buckle. The strap is very flexible but as robust as you'd expect on a larger watch like this one. The watch is actually quite comfortable due to the soft strap and large, flat caseback.

Even the box a SEVENFRIDAY comes in is industrial and warrants attention.

Wrap Up

SEVENFRIDAY has something really cool here. Its industrial design appeals to me in a big way, and I've always been a fan of open hearts. It's a fairly large watch, but I think it compliments the bold design well. As avant garde as it is, it's not so wild that you couldn't wear this to the office, but it will probably still make a good conversation piece after hours. It's a surprisingly accessible price point as well, making it a good choice as a weekend watch to accompany the dress watch you already have.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.