Share with us your most disappointing watch purchase
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Share with us your most disappointing watch purchase

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Share with us your most disappointing watch purchase

You know, the watch you researched, stared at, found picture after picture, ordered it...then it arrives and it just doesn't ring the bell for you.

Or it could be your impulsive purchase. The one you knew little about, pulled the trigger on a whim, and it turned out a little research would have saved you from that purchase.

If you dare to share it, I think we'd all love to see how much you lost on the eventual resale of that underwhelming timepiece. Because, you know, we've all been there -- and to see others endure the same is always comforting! :)
    Omega Planet Ocean 2500C
    Christopher Ward C60 Trident
    Oris Aquis

Re: Share with us your most disappointing watch purchase

Suunto Core Aluminum. I'd really been into Suunto watches for a while, but when I took delivery, it was a little too shiny and felt cheap on the wrist. My G-Shock feels cheap too, but it was cheap, so that's okay. I flipped it within a week.
    CitizenM and TheloniousFox like this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Traser (Navigator) and Luminox (3000 series). Had both at different times. Nice designs, and I gave them a fair chance, but neither felt like a £200 watch - more like £50 if I'm being generous. Both had Ronda movements that seemed OK on paper but also felt cheap and nasty and wouldn't allow the seconds hand to be set on the minute marker. Would never buy another. Way overpriced IMO. Gave them both away eventually.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Before I even knew the difference between an automatic and quartz watch, I bought a Burberry brown dialed quartz watch for $500, $400 after opening up a Macy's credit card... I still wear it, as embarrassed as I am, because now I don't have the money just yet to buy what I really want, now that I have a better appreciation for watches. ugh....
    CitizenM, daschlag and Ottski44 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kevooo10 View Post
    Before I even knew the difference between an automatic and quartz watch, I bought a Burberry brown dialed quartz watch for $500, $400 after opening up a Macy's credit card... I still wear it, as embarrassed as I am, because now I don't have the money just yet to buy what I really want, now that I have a better appreciation for watches. ugh....
    Ouch.

I will say though...while that is a lot to drop on a department store quartz, at least it's sapphire crystal and SWISS quartz movement.
    Omega Planet Ocean 2500C
    Christopher Ward C60 Trident
    Oris Aquis

The Casio guys love the Mudman, but the buttons are so stiff they're nearly impossible to push, it was less accurate than most of my mechanical watches, not all that easy to read and it had all the typical Casio confusing features that nobody uses. So to double down on my foolish impulse, I bought a "Rescue" G-Shock with the reverse display. Tip: don't ever buy a G-Shock with a reverse display, if you want to ever read anything on the watch face.

lvt, CitizenM, Martog and 3 others like this.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Rolex Date Just...easily my most regrettable purchase. Bought it when I first started doing well in business, because, well, everybody seems to buy a Rolex when they start doing well. Owned it for a few years before I really started to study and learn about watch differences. Realized I had bought into the marketing hype and that Rolex is more name than quality, IMO.

Sold it and lost a few bucks. Will never own another.
    Hammondo, sl7vk, Aska Chee and 7 others like this.

This is a fun idea …

A KHS Mission Timer automatic.

i wanted a "good beater." In my mind, that meant: A robust case. 200m resistance to handle most anything. Sapphire crystal. Screw down crown. Crown guards. A Swiss automatic movement (but would also have been happy with a wind-up). And a rotating bezel. The real kicker, though, was this: I wanted a super-duper, easy-to-read dial and tritium.

Yup. Tritium. I'd never heard of Lum-Tec at the time, and for the record, I still think the tritium is fabulous when its creepy-dark.

This had all the right specs. The problem? BAD WATCH. How can it be a bad watch if it meets all the specs, you ask? Excellent question.

Quick answer: It stops telling time.

Longer answer: Poor craftsmanship (or, no real attention being paid in the design phase, either way), means that the second hand is too close to the minute hand, and so — periodically, and who knows when or exactly why — it sticks to the tritium vial and the movement stops. So I wake in the night and am delighted to see I have two hours left to sleep only to learn that A) I don't and B) I am out $500 on a BAD WATCH.

I'm having it fixed (again) for about $30 and I told the guy to just rip off the second hand if it gives him any lip. I can't sell it (not in good faith), and I tried to return it and they didn't even receive the package! I know I got the right address because I was in correspondence with them until I actually sent it, then radio silence …

I'm past it now. But I'm sticking with used, good stuff rather that new bad stuff.

d.
    ______
    Best and most often worn: Rolex GMT Master II
    Favorite design: Bedat & Co. No. 8 Ref 888 (silver dial)
    Most sentimental: Baume Mercier Capeland chrono on aftermarket croc. strap. Has timed big moments …
    Latest sale (bye …): Magrette Bronze on Kain Heritage.
    Beater: Seiko SKA427 (BFK) in black (Grrrrr …)
    Incoming
    : Anonimo Millemetri, black face

+1 on the Casio. I needed (wanted) a sturdy digital quartzer to bang around and keep accurate time for my 3 autos. Found a deal on a digital Casio World Timer /10 year battery at WalMart. Got rave reviews on Amazon. I spent 2 hours reading the manual and making sure its telling me the correct time Kuala Lampur. 2 days later I find out its gained 4 seconds. Which isn't as good as the Seiko 5 auto sitting next to it. For all the hype shoveled on Casio, I was disappointed.

Meanwhile, my Timex weekender quartz is still +0 after a month. Lesson: All quartzes are not the same, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    The Casio guys love the Mudman, but the buttons are so stiff they're nearly impossible to push, it was less accurate than most of my mechanical watches, not all that easy to read and it had all the typical Casio confusing features that nobody uses. So to double down on my foolish impulse, I bought a "Rescue" G-Shock with the reverse display. Tip: don't ever buy a G-Shock with a reverse display, if you want to ever read anything on the watch face.

Slightly OT, as it was not a single watch, but a manufacturer, and it took a while.

For some reason, in the last couple of months in 2008, I went nuts for Panerai. Read up on the company, haunted the forums, ogled the pictures. Ended up buying three, almost on top of each other:

An 024, which I seem to have lost the pics to, plus the following:

I had boxes, tools, and straps galore.

Then, while putting on an Omega Seamaster one morning, I realized that I had worn that particular watch three times since I had worn any of the Panerai. I didn't -- and still don't -- know exactly what happened, but I just didn't see them as special anymore.

Ah, well. They did find a good home, thanks to E-Bay.
    Last edited by George Riemer; December 12th, 2011 at 22:22. Reason: Needlessly obfuscatory.
    Hammondo, Lambo23, sl7vk and 3 others like this.
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information