Shill bidding w/ popular Seiko Diver's watch seller in Phillipines?

Thread: Shill bidding w/ popular Seiko Diver's watch seller in Phillipines?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shill bidding w/ popular Seiko Diver's watch seller in Phillipines?

I'm new to forums although have been looking at it for about a year. I'm fairly new to watch collecting and only have a few watches but wanted to get a modded Seiko Diver's watch for a daily "wear while working in yard or anything else watch". I really like what a particular seller in the Philippines is doing with modding them and would be happy with one for a daily wearing watch. I've noticed in the bid history on his sales that a few of the same bidders keep showing up, bidding and "winning".....as well as boosting the auction when the auctions sit idle for a few days. Some of these bidders are kicking off the auctions with a low bid, then show up in the last ten seconds of the auction (using some sort of snipe-ing tool) and getting the high bid or just shy of high bid. Like, "I'm only willing pay 6.00 for this watch...but then in the last 10 seconds, they decide they will pay 75.00. Sometimes these watches go from 40.00 to over 100.00 within 5 minutes of auction ending. I just don't see a modded watch going for close to the same as a new Seiko 5 Sports watch...if I did, I'd just wear one of the ones I've got and beat it up. Either a "very few bidders" are collecting a lot of nearly the same divers watch or something fishy is going on. If anyone knows anything about any "possible" shill bidding with this popular 'bay seller, please PM me.
    Im not try to start a war or anything...so please just PM me to avoid same. I just want to buy one of his watches but don't want to play games. If games are being played, there are many other options for me to have a daily work watch and I'll move on. I don't care if he keeps doing his thing or not.

Thanks!

Re: Shill bidding w/ popular Seiko Diver's watch seller in Phillipines?

trust your gut

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDays View Post
    I'm new to forums although have been looking at it for about a year. I'm fairly new to watch collecting and only have a few watches but wanted to get a modded Seiko Diver's watch for a daily "wear while working in yard or anything else watch". I really like what a particular seller in the Philippines is doing with modding them and would be happy with one for a daily wearing watch. I've noticed in the bid history on his sales that a few of the same bidders keep showing up, bidding and "winning".....as well as boosting the auction when the auctions sit idle for a few days. Some of these bidders are kicking off the auctions with a low bid, then show up in the last ten seconds of the auction (using some sort of snipe-ing tool) and getting the high bid or just shy of high bid. Like, "I'm only willing pay 6.00 for this watch...but then in the last 10 seconds, they decide they will pay 75.00. Sometimes these watches go from 40.00 to over 100.00 within 5 minutes of auction ending. I just don't see a modded watch going for close to the same as a new Seiko 5 Sports watch...if I did, I'd just wear one of the ones I've got and beat it up. Either a "very few bidders" are collecting a lot of nearly the same divers watch or something fishy is going on. If anyone knows anything about any "possible" shill bidding with this popular 'bay seller, please PM me.
    Im not try to start a war or anything...so please just PM me to avoid same. I just want to buy one of his watches but don't want to play games. If games are being played, there are many other options for me to have a daily work watch and I'll move on. I don't care if he keeps doing his thing or not.

Thanks!
    Shill bidding is when the seller or his associates boost the price of a product in the attempt to get someone else to buy at a high price.

What you're describing, where someone starts off with a small (i'd call it a placeholder) bid, and then within the last 10 seconds buy it at a higher price is sniping, and is really a smart way to buy. Sniping does not benefit the seller at all since prices stay low until the last possible moment. The competition is not the regular buyers, but other snipers - which a seller does not want

So this is likely not something nefarious. This is just a small group of guys who are sophisticated enough to buy lots of watches at low prices. The seller probably does not like what's happening at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not wise enough in the ways of bidding to advise you but trust your instincts.

Could be shill bidding, or sniping or wahtever (auction process can be manipulated a dozen different ways).
    At the end, does it make a difference? If you find a watch you like and have a price you are willing to pay for it (max ceiling price) - bid that. If you can get it under your "target\comfort" price - great, if you get it at your target price - ok, and if someone overbids - well that's fine too as you did not spend above your comfort zone.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

It does not matter what shill bidding or sniping the seller is using if that is his/her technique to maintain a reserve price.
    Your best option is to set up auto bidding with your maximum price that you are willing to pay for the item.
    If it comes under it, you are happy. If not, you've lost nothing.

Bidding overview
    It is just a matter of time....

Banned

How about shill sniping? Post no-reserve to attract bids, but have a friend/sock account snipe it if it isn't going to sell high enough?

It doesn't sound like shill bidding, more like sniping. I tend to put a nominal bid early on, and then add the auction to a sniping website like auctionstealer. The goal of sniping is to place a bid so close to the close of the auction that other bidders don't have the opportunity to respond an thereby win the auction, whereas the goal of shill bidding is to push up the price without winning the auction.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

The VAST majority of bidding on an auction site goes on in the last few minutes, often the last few seconds. Simply decide what you are willing to pay and bid that and not a penny more by either direct bid or sniping software. People often get frustrated with eBay because they think for the whole auction they are going to get something for pennies on the dollar then all the bidders show up at the last minute. These were all people thinking the same thing.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Always buy the seller. But it does sound like sniping. They might be manipulating the price but if you have a ceiling then stick to it and be happy if you get in under it. =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information