Shiny New vs. Well Worn

Thread: Shiny New vs. Well Worn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shiny New vs. Well Worn

I really enjoy/appreciate seeing someone wearing a watch that shows that it has been used for its purpose, and shows the scars of that wearing. For example, a dive watch showing scars on the bezel, from such as coral scratches, etc. or a Hamilton showing well rounded edges from wear. To my eye these watches have more character than watches appearing brand new. How do you all feel?
    Some mornings its just not worth gnawing through the straps

Re: Shiny New vs. Well Worn

The thought of dinging even my G-Shock drives me nuts. However, for anyone else...go for it. There was a Breitling with some bumps and scrapes for sale on the forum presented as an 'elegant beater'. I thought that was great.

I prefer to keep my watches clean and new. I use a pocket watch if it's likely to get scratched etc.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wasn't talking about my (your) watches. I can't stand a single scratch on mine. I'm talking about seeing on another guys wrist.
    Some mornings its just not worth gnawing through the straps

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    I wasn't talking about my (your) watches. I can't stand a single scratch on mine. I'm talking about seeing on another guys wrist.
    Same here. I enjoy reading how many adventures others went thru with their watches and how those nasty gashes came to be but can't stand imperfections on my own watches, especially the ones I really cherish.

While there's probably a point beyond which a watch has too many battle scars, I too like to see a nicer watch that's actually be used. Someone bought a durable, well made watch years ago and actually used it as it was designed to be used. Recently I've met someone who had a 20+ year old Seiko that's been a daily wearer - but still looked pretty nice. I also met someone that had a Breitling with the small second time zone module (what's that called again?) that also had been worn for a number of years. To me, those look much better than a new, blingy Breitling or some other expensive and obviously rarely worn watch, especially non-dress watches.

I love to see older chaps with watches they've worked through life with - old omega sea-masters or Rolexes with stretched bracelets and scratched acrylic crystals - got character

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

If someone wants to wear a beat-up watch, more power to 'em.
    I don't want to see scratches/dings anywhere.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Banned

No scratches or such, I like even to keep my Vintages in as pristine condition as possible.

Certainly not going out of my way to add "character" as many WUS's would say around these parts. But crap happens, hopefully not to mine ;)
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information