Shipping an expensive watch to Canada from the US
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Shipping an expensive watch to Canada from the US

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Shipping an expensive watch to Canada from the US

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I know that USPS no longer ships watches or that is what I have heard. I just went to Fedex to ask and they charge and the main issue is value and insurance as well as brokerage fees, which I have never heard of before. I am looking at possibly shipping an $8k watch to Canada and it seems like it is more trouble than it's worth.

Re: Shipping an expensive watch to Canada from the US

I shipped a watch to Nova Scotia last fall through USPS. Not sure where you heard that? It is fairly expensive compared to shipping within the states but it works.
    Kevin

YOu may want to contact Archer since he surely gets shipped watches all the time from the US and sees how they ship and would be aware of issues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

hmm, I read on this forum about USPS issues.

Been doing research myself for shipping stuff overseas. I think the safest method to ship such an expensive piece would be to use registered mail and fully insure the item. If shipped via registered mail, the watch will have to be signed for everytime it changes hands and it will be kept under lock and key -- or so I'm told based on what I've read. I believe that items shipped via registered mail can be insured for up to 25k. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Banned

You may want to do a quick search since this has been discussed much before. As suggested above, pm 'Archer' (Al) a popular watchmaker in Canada and ask for his guidance and thoughts. FedEx and UPS may charge you for $8k worth of insurance, but the fine print of their terms state that for jewelry and watches the max they will pay out is something like $500 (or maybe $1k?). I believe the problem with USPS registered is that, while they will indeed insure up to $25k, that may be for only domestic shipments and not apply once a package leaves the country since it is out of their control at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    You may want to do a quick search since this has been discussed much before. As suggested above, pm 'Archer' (Al) a popular watchmaker in Canada and ask for his guidance and thoughts. FedEx and UPS may charge you for $8k worth of insurance, but the fine print of their terms state that for jewelry and watches the max they will pay out is something like $500 (or maybe $1k?). I believe the problem with USPS registered is that, while they will indeed insure up to $25k, that may be for only domestic shipments and not apply once a package leaves the country since it is out of their control at that point.
    I did do a search and I got a lot of conflicting information. Some say usps can, some say it can't based on insurance. Some say fedex and ups are ok, then others say they over charge you etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    I did do a search and I got a lot of conflicting information. Some say usps can, some say it can't based on insurance. Some say fedex and ups are ok, then others say they over charge you etc.
    Experienced the same as you while doing research. Lots of conflicting information. I did some googling and you might want to check out a service called Parcel Pro. At first glance they seem to cater to collectors and sellers of memorabilia and jewelry. Seems a few people recommend it from other forums.

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Experienced the same as you while doing research. Lots of conflicting information. I did some googling and you might want to check out a service called Parcel Pro. At first glance they seem to cater to collectors and sellers of memorabilia and jewelry. Seems a few people recommend it from other forums.
    I checked it. looks interesting but you need some sort of ID number from a select few forums that I do not inhabit. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    I checked it. looks interesting but you need some sort of ID number from a select few forums that I do not inhabit. Strange
    I looked into it deeper. I guess it's only available to business owners and people from dedicated sales forums. It did seem too good to be true.
    Stellite likes this.

Otto

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information