Shipping a watch to Canada
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Shipping a watch to Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shipping a watch to Canada

Hello,

I have sold a watch worth roughly $1200 to a WUS in Canada. I have had a bad experience shipping overseas and learned the hard way that Priority Mail Express International will not honor insurance for watches or jewelry. First Class and Priority Mail will not insure for >$400. I'm sure someone here has shipped a watch to Canada or received a watch from US to Canada. Does anyone have advice for the least expensive way to ship a watch to Canada while being able to insure it?
    rfortson likes this.
    Ball Fireman Stormchaser Pro panda dial / Evant Decodiver Fume Black / Grand Seiko SBGR019 /Monta Atlas GMT opaline dial / Omega Speedmaster Automatic 3510.50 / Orient Bambino FER24005W0 / ​Sinn 6015 Moonphase Chronograph / Seiko Brightz Phoenix automatic chronograph SAGK003 / Steinhart GMT Ocean Black Red / Seiko 5 Sports SNZF17 / Tactico TC2 / Vostok Amphibia with Murphy Manufacturing bezel mod / Yema Superman Bronze

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: Shipping a watch to Canada

USPS is the least painful cost wise as a receiver here in Canada. I believe you can insure up to 1000.00 USD value on a watch. I ship both ways often, very reliable way to ship and the tracking is good. Most of the preshipping paperwork can be done via USPS.com, including a provided tracking number.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

I'd go DHL if it's an option for you - I brought a watch in from Topper to my address in Canada a year or so ago and it was smooth besides making sure you had all the right paperwork filled out - commercial invoice etc.

I've had a number of watches sent from Stowa to Canada via DHL and it was way better than FedEx.

It won't be dirt cheap but it's a solid option for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The problem with DHL is that it will cost the receiver an arm n a leg!
    I received a watch for 1200$ last year through DHL and they charged me 336$! I'll vote for USPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rebo View Post
    I'd go DHL if it's an option for you - I brought a watch in from Topper to my address in Canada a year or so ago and it was smooth besides making sure you had all the right paperwork filled out - commercial invoice etc.

I've had a number of watches sent from Stowa to Canada via DHL and it was way better than FedEx.

It won't be dirt cheap but it's a solid option for sure.
    Instagram @ the_watchier
    fastfras likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfras View Post
    USPS is the least painful cost wise as a receiver here in Canada. I believe you can insure up to 1000.00 USD value on a watch. I ship both ways often, very reliable way to ship and the tracking is good. Most of the preshipping paperwork can be done via USPS.com, including a provided tracking number.
    That's probably a bad idea. According to the USPS website,

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_003.htm

Precious stones, set or not set; all items used as dress ornaments and coming under the term “jewelry” including articles of gold or other precious metal for personal use such as cigarette holders, cases, powder cases, card cases, opera glasses, fountain pens, watches, etc., are permitted in insured parcels provided the articles have value not over $5 U.S. A parcel containing a number of such articles valued at $5 or less may be insured for the total value of the contents up to a maximum of $200.
    The legal morass of postal regulations and insurance is why so many people hate selling things across borders.
    Aggie88 and rfortson like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I've been burned before when shipping a watch to Sweden via USPS. It was lost and USPS refused to honor the insurance even though they allowed me to pay for the insurance noting that I was shipping a watch. The representatives didn't know the above fine print and they told me for 6 weeks that I would get reimbursed. Then when the time came, they noted the above fine print about jewelry and watches. I sent a letter to protest their decision...they wouldn't even reimburse the $ I paid for the insurance.

Turns out that FedEx is the best way to ship a valuable watch to Canada, although they only insure up to a maximum of $1000. It cost just over $41 to ship to Calgary via FedEx ground which is supposed to take 5 days. To ship in 1-3 days would have been 3 to 5 times as much (for a watch valued at $1200).
    mleok and rfortson like this.
    Ball Fireman Stormchaser Pro panda dial / Evant Decodiver Fume Black / Grand Seiko SBGR019 /Monta Atlas GMT opaline dial / Omega Speedmaster Automatic 3510.50 / Orient Bambino FER24005W0 / ​Sinn 6015 Moonphase Chronograph / Seiko Brightz Phoenix automatic chronograph SAGK003 / Steinhart GMT Ocean Black Red / Seiko 5 Sports SNZF17 / Tactico TC2 / Vostok Amphibia with Murphy Manufacturing bezel mod / Yema Superman Bronze

Is this thread saying that all the USPS insurance I've purchased over the years was useless because watches can't be insured? I'm not actually surprised -- every time I buy insurance on USPS.com, I think, "this is too easy, why isn't there rampant fraud?"
    How do ADs, GM, high-end preowned dealers insure when they ship? Does anyone know? Should I call Jomashop and ask?
    Excellent thread, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post
    Is this thread saying that all the USPS insurance I've purchased over the years was useless because watches can't be insured? I'm not actually surprised -- every time I buy insurance on USPS.com, I think, "this is too easy, why isn't there rampant fraud?"
    How do ADs, GM, high-end preowned dealers insure when they ship? Does anyone know? Should I call Jomashop and ask?
    Excellent thread, btw.
    They use a third party insurer, such as Jewelers Mutual.

https://jewelersmutual.com/
    Vioviv likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post
    Excellent thread, btw.
    They use a third party insurer, such as Jewelers Mutual.

https://jewelersmutual.com/
    I love the idea of jewelers mutual it seems legit but has any one ever had expirince with a filing a clame with them. I looked at insuring my collection through them but all I could find was people talking about how great they jewelers mutual was but no one had any expiriance dealing with them when somthing happened and they needed to file a claim. Just some food for thought. Insurance is great as long as things go well but the the real proof is when things go to crap how do they handle it. If you could find some one that can chime in with their expirinces using jewelers mutual when things go south and they say that jewelers mutual is great to deal with I would definitely do that. Their prices are extremely fair and their coverages are good. But like I said I have yet to hear of any one filing a claim through them. Just my .02
    Vioviv likes this.

Not sure if this will help Aggie, but several years ago I purchased a watch for $1600US, from a US member. I am located in Canada. It was decided at that time to go with UPS for the sake of having both insurance and tracking. I did have to pay a horrible brokerage fee when the watch arrived, but I was after the watch for over a year so at that time, I went didn't hesitate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information