Shipping watch purchased on Ebay USA to Ontario,Canada: Economical + hassle-freel options?

Thread: Shipping watch purchased on Ebay USA to Ontario,Canada: Economical + hassle-freel options?

Shipping watch purchased on Ebay USA to Ontario,Canada: Economical + hassle-freel options?

I am considering putting in a bid on a Movado watch listed on Ebay USA.The current bid is $130 odd and the seller uses GSP:Global shipping program where the duties/taxes are pre calculated.
    Now the charges for shipping are $17 and Import duty will set me back further by $28.Is this not a little too steep for miscellaneous charges coming to almost a 3rd of the actual cost of a watch?

Is there a cheaper way to buy watches off the bay from USA and pay lesser charges or will opting for a seller without GSP lead to a lot of hassles customs clearances thereby negating any financial benefit that not opting for GSP may provide.

P.S. I'm asking this as the package is supposed to be delivered at my relative's place and I would'nt want them to keep running after the postal authorities for clearing the consignment.I beleive GSP provides a hassle-free doorstep delivery for all that it charges and any option where my relatives will have to make a trip to the postal authorities is not an option for me.

I browsed the forum for answers on this query I had but could find any previous thread on this.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Shipping watch purchased on Ebay USA to Ontario,Canada: Economical + hassle-freel options?

The easiest way to avoid those charges is to buy from a seller that doesn't use GSP. It basically costs 4 times more, they are charging you both duty and tax. I called Ebay stating that I'm paying far more than I would if the seller didn't use GSP. The supervisor said that she has had a good number of calls about the tax & duty and said that they are trying to figure out a way to reduce the cost to the buyer. This is added protection for the seller, they ship your item through Ebay, Ebay assumes responsibility for the shipment. This is very appealing to lots of US sellers.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Re: Shipping watch purchased on Ebay USA to Ontario,Canada: Economical + hassle-freel options?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    The easiest way to avoid those charges is to buy from a seller that doesn't use GSP. It basically costs 4 times more, they are charging you both duty and tax. I called Ebay stating that I'm paying far more than I would if the seller didn't use GSP. The supervisor said that she has had a good number of calls about the tax & duty and said that they are trying to figure out a way to reduce the cost to the buyer. This is added protection for the seller, they ship your item through Ebay, Ebay assumes responsibility for the shipment. This is very appealing to lots of US sellers.
    So suppose I buy from a seller who does'nt use GSP, will the duties/import charges be collected from me at my door-step or will I have to go the postal authorities to get my shipment cleared?

Asking this as I don't want to burden my relatives with a follow-up visit to track my shipment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Generally speaking, you will only pay 5% sales tax. I have had one item come into Canada where I had to pay duty because it was shipped via a courier. Always ask for USPS as a shipping option. Between Ebay and all of the watch forums, I have about 700 transactions, so those are pretty good odds that you won't be charged duty...

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by WATCH-er View Post
    I am considering putting in a bid on a Movado watch listed on Ebay USA.The current bid is $130 odd and the seller uses GSP:Global shipping program where the duties/taxes are pre calculated.
    Now the charges for shipping are $17 and Import duty will set me back further by $28.Is this not a little too steep for miscellaneous charges coming to almost a 3rd of the actual cost of a watch?

Is there a cheaper way to buy watches off the bay from USA and pay lesser charges or will opting for a seller without GSP lead to a lot of hassles customs clearances thereby negating any financial benefit that not opting for GSP may provide.

P.S. I'm asking this as the package is supposed to be delivered at my relative's place and I would'nt want them to keep running after the postal authorities for clearing the consignment.I beleive GSP provides a hassle-free doorstep delivery for all that it charges and any option where my relatives will have to make a trip to the postal authorities is not an option for me.

I browsed the forum for answers on this query I had but could find any previous thread on this.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The people who do the brokering (if that's the right term) and processing for this import duty malarky aren't doing it for charity, they want to make some money ..

Although I just bought something last week from CA to the UK and used the same service (turns out Pitney Bowes does the work and takes the money out at time of purchase) to save the hassle of it all, and at least I knew up front what I was gonna pay , unlike if I'd have took on the duty and VAT at this end I wouldn't know how much I was paying precisely until I got the bill.. and the company who was dealing with it at this end (royal mail/parcelforce etc) would still have made their (extortionate in my view) handling fee out of it.

If you chose to do the work yourself as it landed in your country , you'd get a bill and you pay it before they will release or deliver - it's not difficult though it almost certainly will mean a trip to the delivery offices.
    You might end up paying less or even a similar amount if you chose the DIY route.

Thread Information