Shoddy sales behaviour!

Thread: Shoddy sales behaviour!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Angry Shoddy sales behaviour!

Bear with me while I set the scene... it's my 40th birthday this weekend, and to mark the occasion my lovely wife has offered to add to the small but growing collection of watches. The brief is, sportyish watch, silver/white dial, SS case and brown leather strap. I considered and dropped various models along the way, including a couple of the less expensive IWC's (still too expensive!), the 42.2mm Omega Aqua Terra (discontinued and can't be got hold of) and the Tag Twintime (too small). Eventually I settled on the Breitling Superocean Steelfish - right price point, great look, good brand and my brother-in-law has one which he is very pleased with. So I have priced up ready to purchase.

Reasonably enough, Mrs. CK wanted an idea of what her hard-earned was going on, so dropped in on a high-end jeweller near her work today. I won't name names or identify the location, but they are an Omega AD and locally have a good reputation. The are not a Breitling dealer, but Mrs. CK probably wouldn't have known that (she has a nice Omega Constellation that I got her when our second was born, but watches she can pretty much take or leave). She asked the sales assistant in the shop about this particular model of Breitling and was told that Breitling watches are "unreliable" and "people bring them in all the time to get them repaired" (wouldn't a Breitling owner know to take a Breitling watch to a Breitling dealer, generally speaking?) IWC are "nice watches, but anything less than £5000 isn't worth having"(!!!). She then got the hard sell on Omega and was given a catalogue, which is very nice*.

Now my wife is a trusting sort and tends to believe what a person whose profession it is to know about a given subject is telling her. She came home all worried, had I made the right choice, did I know these watches were unreliable, maybe I should consider an Omega? I said, darling, I already have an Omega and it's a very nice watch, the other Omega I liked I can't get, and as far as I'm aware (and as far as my research suggests) Breitlings are solid, reliable watches manufactured with the professional in mind. I then had to do a bit of trawling through WUS and TZ to back this up (and for that matter, give myself peace of mind!)

Now, I work in sales and even if I don't practise all the tricks of the trade I like to think at least I have an awareness of them. My rule number one (and this is a point of honour) is never sell your product by slagging off the competition. Promote the inherent qualities and advantages of what you're offering, don't imply negatives in what you're up against. That is just stooping low.

The sales assistant must have seen my wife coming - well meaning, but not informed. I wish I'd been there.

I guess times are tough and every sale is important, particulalry on big ticket items and when earnings are based on commission, but this kind of behaviour just makes my blood boil.

(* BTW, the blue "Bond" does not feature in the Omega catalogue, surely not discontinued?)

Omega Seamaster Professional
    Ebel 1911 Chronograph
    Breitling Superocean Steelfish
    Korsbek Ocean Explorer #16/100
    Timex Ironman
    Ingersoll Yankee
    ancient Rotary automatic (family heirloom)

2000 Fender Telecaster USA natural ash

Re: Shoddy sales behaviour!

These are the kind of sales people that give us( I am a sales rep) a bad name.

Title of your post says it all and I agree completely.
    Times like these are probably bringing about such tactics more frequently.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have shopped (and occasionally purchased) in many high end watch stores over the years. I can count on one hand the number of well-informed sale people i have met. Many of the people did not even know much about the brands they were selling. One of the best informed Breitling persons I have ever spoken to was a store manager at an AD on Michigan Ave in Chicago. He was wearing a Navitimer and was very friendly and informative. Offered a discount and told me how to contact him to have it shipped to my home state to avoid sales tax. I intend to go back there and buy something someday. Sometimes it is fun just to ask questions and hear the crazy answers from the salespeople.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmc2001 View Post
    Sometimes it is fun just to ask questions and hear the crazy answers from the salespeople.
    The place we are likely to buy the Breitling is actually one of the bigger UK high street jewellers, somewhere I thought I'd never go to be honest. The price is thereabouts but the clincher was when I "tested out" the sales guy; he was polite and well presented but I wanted to see if he was knowledgeable about the Breitling range (bearing in mind the same shop also had Rolex, Cartier, Tag, Ebel, Oris, Omega etc etc). I observed that my brother-in-law had the same watch but I thought it was slightly smaller. "Yes sir," he said, "actually Breitling ran a slightly smaller 42mm version of this model a few years ago". Sale! I do like to see a man who knows and takes pride in their job, whatever their line of work.

Ebel 1911 Chronograph
    Timex Ironman
    Ingersoll Yankee

DMB
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jjmc2001 View Post
    Sometimes it is fun just to ask questions and hear the crazy answers from the salespeople.
    Are you kidding? That's the BEST part. I went in a local AD around Xmas time, just to check out the latest watches while my wife was at a doctor's appointment across the street. Here is how it went ...

I go in the watch store, which is an AD for Omega, Rolex, Tag, B&M, Ebel, and Victorinox. The store is empty and all the associates look up as if to say, "game on". I figure I'm gonna need one at some point to show me watches so I head over towards the one that I think will offer the most entertainment value. "Lance" is a mid 20's, semi metrosexual, white male with a trendy haircut and a bad suit. [Lance] "Hello, is there something I can help you with" [me] "Yea Lance, I'm thinking I might be in the market for a watch. Show me what you got". [Lance] "Well, we happen to have the new James Bond watch. The one Bond wears in the new Quantum of Solace movie. It's a very popular model, we only have 3 left. [me] [thinking ... you probably only GOT 3 and you STILL have all of them] [Lance] [reaches in the case to grab what I assume would be the PO, but instead comes out with the black Bond with the 007 second hand] "Here is the new Omega James Bond watch just like Bond wears in the movie". [me] "yep, it even says 007 right on the second hand." "You think the bad guys ever know it's him when they see his name on the watch?" [Lance] "ummm ...." [me] "Hey Lance, you got the one with the wire that pulls out of the crown". I'd like to look at that one". [Lance] "um ... I think that was just in the movie, I don't think there really is one like that". [me] "Yea there is, I'm pretty sure the British SAS uses them. "You can actually strangle somebody with the wire .... it's totally cool". [Lance] "um .. sorry, we don't have that one". [me] "You sure?" ...."could you check". [Lance] "No Sir, I'm sure we don't carry that one". [me] 'That's too bad, I'd buy it in a heartbeat". "Hey, who do you think would win in a fight between James Bond and Jason Bourne?" "I mean, Bond is a double naught agent, but Bourne can karate fight like a bad ass". [Lance is now starting to get uncomfortable] "Um, is there anything particular you'd like to see?". [me] "Got any of them Rolexes?" [Lance] [opens case to a fairly impressive display containing all the subs, the new GMTs, a few gold Daytonas, a Turnograph, and about a half dozen DJs.] Feeling like I've given Lance enough hell, I proceed to try on a few subs to include the old style "no date" which I don't mind saying I was tempted to buy right there on the spot. $5300 clams. Anyhow, about this time the phone rings and it's The Skirt telling me to get my butt back across the street and pick her up. I thank Lance, promising that I'll be back and I'll ask specifically for him. In the mean time, I leave my number and ask him to call me if he finds a James Bond watch that has the wire you strangle people with.

~ David

Quote Originally Posted by DMB View Post
    I leave my number and ask him to call me if he finds a James Bond watch that has the wire you strangle people with.

~ David
    I've seen them come up on the sales forum from time to time, but they sell pretty quickly.

This is priceless. Poor Lance.

Ebel 1911 Chronograph
    Timex Ironman
    Ingersoll Yankee

Are you kidding? That's the BEST part. I went in a local AD around Xmas time, just to check out the latest watches while my wife was at a doctor's appointment across the street. Here is how it went ...

I go in the watch store, which is an AD for Omega, Rolex, Tag, B&M, Ebel, and Victorinox. The store is empty and all the associates look up as if to say, "game on". I figure I'm gonna need one at some point to show me watches so I head over towards the one that I think will offer the most entertainment value. "Lance" is a mid 20's, semi metrosexual, white male with a trendy haircut and a bad suit. [Lance] "Hello, is there something I can help you with" [me] "Yea Lance, I'm thinking I might be in the market for a watch. Show me what you got". [Lance] "Well, we happen to have the new James Bond watch. The one Bond wears in the new Quantum of Solace movie. It's a very popular model, we only have 3 left. [me] [thinking ... you probably only GOT 3 and you STILL have all of them] [Lance] [reaches in the case to grab what I assume would be the PO, but instead comes out with the black Bond with the 007 second hand] "Here is the new Omega James Bond watch just like Bond wears in the movie". [me] "yep, it even says 007 right on the second hand." "You think the bad guys ever know it's him when they see his name on the watch?" [Lance] "ummm ...." [me] "Hey Lance, you got the one with the wire that pulls out of the crown". I'd like to look at that one". [Lance] "um ... I think that was just in the movie, I don't think there really is one like that". [me] "Yea there is, I'm pretty sure the British SAS uses them. "You can actually strangle somebody with the wire .... it's totally cool". [Lance] "um .. sorry, we don't have that one". [me] "You sure?" ...."could you check". [Lance] "No Sir, I'm sure we don't carry that one". [me] 'That's too bad, I'd buy it in a heartbeat". "Hey, who do you think would win in a fight between James Bond and Jason Bourne?" "I mean, Bond is a double naught agent, but Bourne can karate fight like a bad ass". [Lance is now starting to get uncomfortable] "Um, is there anything particular you'd like to see?". [me] "Got any of them Rolexes?" [Lance] [opens case to a fairly impressive display containing all the subs, the new GMTs, a few gold Daytonas, a Turnograph, and about a half dozen DJs.] Feeling like I've given Lance enough hell, I proceed to try on a few subs to include the old style "no date" which I don't mind saying I was tempted to buy right there on the spot. $5300 clams. Anyhow, about this time the phone rings and it's The Skirt telling me to get my butt back across the street and pick her up. I thank Lance, promising that I'll be back and I'll ask specifically for him. In the mean time, I leave my number and ask him to call me if he finds a James Bond watch that has the wire you strangle people with.

~ David
    No, seriously, are you kidding? Is that what passes for a good time? Hopefully your story is embellished a little bit, because it's a bit over the line. I'm guessing this guy is trying to make a living and using every bit of the poor training the owners/company gave him. I never ceased to be amazed by the stories people share about how they humiliated or mocked retail watch clerks. Give me a break.

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

DMB
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joppinger View Post
    No, seriously, are you kidding? Is that what passes for a good time? Hopefully your story is embellished a little bit, because it's a bit over the line. I'm guessing this guy is trying to make a living and using every bit of the poor training the owners/company gave him. I never ceased to be amazed by the stories people share about how they humiliated or mocked retail watch clerks. Give me a break.
    [humongous, overexaggerated sigh] Do I sound like I'm kidding? Pa-leez for the love of God GET OVER YOURSELF. Go save the world somewhere else. Love ~ David

"Hey, who do you think would win in a fight between James Bond and Jason Bourne?" "I mean, Bond is a double naught agent, but Bourne can karate fight like a bad ass".
    Has to be Bond but not if it was George Lazenby or Timothy Dalton, Bourne would kick their arse in a heart beat.

The lack of knowledge of sales staff is only relevant and totally annoying to the small minority of WIS in the world the rest of civilisation may believe that Brietling can be serviced at an Omega dealer and live wonderful forfilling lives.
    JD
    Current rotation

More than last year less than next year, consolidation not withstanding

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information