Shopping for first serious ($5000-10k) watch
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Shopping for first serious ($5000-10k) watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shopping for first serious ($5000-10k) watch

First of all, the WUS forums have become the bane of my productivity the past few weeks. One of the more pleasurable time-sucks I've yet found.

Now that my wife has the vintage Rolex of her dreams (recent anniversary gift), she's been encouraging me to indulge my long-held fantasies of owning one of my fantasy pieces. Right now my most expensive watch is about $1000, mainly because for the last 5 years whenever a new purchase comes up, I say, "I'd rather save up for the big one." When I could afford a Tag a few years ago, I controlled myself so that I could afford something nicer down the road.

The object of my desire for the past few years has been the IWC Portuguese. My favorite pieces are 42-44mm with a very thin bezel (for some reason I just aesthically hate bezels). The Portuguese Chrono blue-on-white (IW371446) had been my darling, but I went to the IWC boutique in Beverly Hills last week to finally try it on, and unfortunately it was a hair too small for my taste. My daily beater is a Victorinox 44mm, so I feel like it would be odd to go down beyond 42mm even for a dressier watch. The salesman showed me the IWC Portuguese Automatic blue-on-white (IW500107) and unfortunately for my wallet, it was love at first wear.

Before I go splurge on the Portuguese Automatic, I wanted to see if there were any other great suggestions from the knowledgeable crowd here. 42-44mm (41 maybe with a tiny bezel), thin bezel, traditional design. I would probably go for a near mint Portuguese ($8000 range), so I don't think I would want to go beyond that in the budget.

The rational part of me says I should buy 2 or 3 lesser watches instead, but I worry that I will always think of the one that got away.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!
    edhchoe likes this.

Re: Shopping for first serious ($5000-10k) watch

Firstly, it doesn't sound like you should go for those 2 or 3 lesser watches instead. You've had your chance to get those along the way but have held firm to get the perfect one for you eventually.

I have no others suggestions so I would recommend getting the Portuguese you crave.
    edhchoe and IlakhaniUF like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I recently picked up the 500114 and I love it. I would have gone the blue route as you've suggested, but the other "nice" watch I wear regularly has a blue dial and I wanted my new "nice" watch to be different. I think it's a great option for you and at $8k you should be able to find a minty piece with the box and papers (don't buy it at that price if those goodies aren't included).

I love the IWC because it's so versatile. It goes great with suits (even though it is a taller watch) but you can also wear it with jeans and a t-shirt if you want. In the $5-10k range you have the world to choose from, but going with a preowned IWC means that if you change your mind in a year or two, you'll be able to recoup your money and try something else. Good luck finding the right one!
    Ulysse Nardin Blue Wave - IWC Portuguese Automatic - Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono - Ramond Weil Don Giovanni Chrono XL - Hamilton Pioneer Chrono - Hamilton Jazzmaster Square - Swatch Sistem 51s

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With $5k - $10k, you can find yourself a really nice watch. I would look pre-owned to get the most bang for your buck. The IWC is a beauty, and it sounds like it's what you've wanted for years. Don't settle or you will almost certainly regret it. If you're interested in larger chronos without a tachymeter or diver bezel, I would take a look at the Omega Aqua Terra chronograph. It's a bit too big for my tastes, but it might be worth looking at. Have fun!
    edhchoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
    "I'd rather save up for the big one." When I could afford a Tag a few years ago, I controlled myself so that I could afford something nicer down the road.
    Attaboy. I did the same thing.

You should seriously consider the Glashutte Original Senator Observer. Obviously I'm biased, but for me it was clearly the better choice between it and the Portuguese.

Sorry for the stock pic.
    Name:  GO_Senator-Observer_whitedial_LG.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  2.46 MB
    Seaswirl and IlakhaniUF like this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

Never settle. Save up and get the watch YOU really want to look down at. Always, always go see them in person first. Pics tell about half the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edhchoe likes this.

If it's Portuguese you crave, none others will do. Particularly if you were patient and saved for some time, might as well get what you really want.

However, since you did ask for suggestions... I'd look at Zenith Captain Winsor Annual Calendar (can't think of another annual calendar at this price range and it's a nice watch), or a white lacquered El Primero 36K Chrono
    Name:  zenith-capt.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  113.7 KBName:  x580x9999__img.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  101.4 KB

All excellent replies, thanks so much everyone!

[duplicate post]
    Last edited by dyrewolf31; April 7th, 2015 at 02:48.

[duplicate post]
    Last edited by dyrewolf31; April 7th, 2015 at 02:49.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information