Should the 7750 Movement Start by Movement Alone?

Thread: Should the 7750 Movement Start by Movement Alone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should the 7750 Movement Start by Movement Alone?

I just purchased a beautiful used Hamilton Khaki Automatic Chrono from eBay. The seller is very responsive and trustworthy.

Upon opening the box, the first thing I did after inspecting the exterior of the watch was to give it a little side to side motion (light shake/tilting) to get the seconds sub dial moving. I did this from a completely wound-down "dead" start and was unable to get the seconds hand into motion.

While I am no expert- this seems to indicate a problem with the automatic winding function. Is my reasoning correct? The only other possibility I can think of is that this particular movement requires an activation by manual winding for the self winding to happen. Seems like faulty logic- the self winding should work from a dead stop, shouldn't it???

Can an expert please shed some light. I feel like I need to get back to the seller quickly or risk having my inspection period pass by. I don't want to wind and wait days to observe the results if I can avoid it. Thanks!

lvt

Re: Should the 7750 Movement Start by Movement Alone?

AFAIK the 7750 has an uni-directional winding, meaning the watch will be wound only when the rotor turns clock-wise, so the "shake to start" might not be as effective as with a bi-directional winding movement, eg. 2892, 2836...

If your watch's second hand starts running after 3 or 4 crown turns I think the watch is fine, my two watches with 2836-2 generally start right after some shakings or 2 crown turns.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

yes, the 7750s rotor only winds the watch in 1 direction, so would require more motion to get it goin from fully unwound state.

Even sometimes a bi-directional winder auto will take me seemingly a lot of shakes to get it going.

Very normal.

The 7750 can also be manually wound (although some frown upon this on certain autos) too....to get it started, or to fully wind it. A few full winds should get it goin, and then just wear it

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Hamilton Jazzmaster uses the same movement as far as I know, and it acts the same way. It takes more than a handful of shakes to get it moving again from a dead stop. Seems fine to me.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Wind it up (20 - 30 winds), set day and date, put it on your wrist, wear it and then report back.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    yes, the 7750s rotor only winds the watch in 1 direction, so would require more motion to get it goin from fully unwound state.
    True that the 7750 winds in only one direction, but it wouldn't take more motion to get it going. You just need to spin the rotor in the correct direction

I just picked up the two 7750 based watches that I own. Both currently are on rubber straps. I held the watch bottom up (so I can see the balance wheel as neither have a running seconds), pinched the straps together and oscillated the watch back and forth for five seconds. Both started up. Perhaps that's a second or two slower than a 2824 based watch, but it works well for me.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information!

I actually heard from a TAG technician that shaking a dead watch can cause backlash between the gears hence partially destroying the movement. He suggested that you wind the watch a couple of times before shaking it.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Pdrino90 View Post
    I actually heard from a TAG technician that shaking a dead watch can cause backlash between the gears hence partially destroying the movement. He suggested that you wind the watch a couple of times before shaking it.
    You might damage your arm before you can kill the watch :P
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by Pdrino90 View Post
    great! That's all we needed to hear .

We can't wind it OR shake it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information