Should the CUSTOMER wear GLOVES in a watch store?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Should the CUSTOMER wear GLOVES in a watch store?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Should the CUSTOMER wear GLOVES in a watch store?

I stopped at a Seiko AD earlier tonight. Just a spur of the moment kinda thing after dinner.
    The sexist pig that I *might* be, I was a bit surprised by how knowledgeable the lady(!) behind the counter was about the different movements.

She not only kindly showed me some of the more recent releases - including the "Cocktail" !! - she also gave me a copy of the new catalog!

Anyhoo, she would put on her thin cotton gloves before every time she reached inside the cabinet to fetch a watch for me, so I felt a little self-conscious about handling them with my greasy fingers, especially the Anantas and the GS.
    So I politely declined to handle them.
    I know: customer is king. But I just couldn't do it, especially as I was NOT gonna buy a watch from her tonight.

I am thinking of taking a pair of gloves with me next time, so I can handle them, then walk away with a clear conscience.
    Anybody else have this... this... "squeamishness"?

PS: I am so going back to buy the Cocktail! Uh...real soon.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; December 7th, 2011 at 21:50. Reason: clarity
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Re: Wearing GLOVES to handle watches in a store?

I just recently bought a very nice watch at a boutique when I was in Paris, and the girl that helped me put on gloves to handle the watches that interested me (I'll make an arrival thread when I have time). I thought it was very nice practice, and I certainly appreciated it. It was a bit weird not having gloves on myself, but I didn't have a problem with it.

I have seen a few watch sellers use gloves when handling watches and other jewelery. While it may reduce the time needed to polish watches I think it may be off-putting to some people who may ultimately just walk out the door.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It wouldn't bother me. Respectful of the product, the customer, and others who may wish to view the watches I'd say.
    JWM69 likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Sure, there is a side of me that thinks THAT is how the sales people should do things, not the customer.
    But, applying the Golden Rule, I thought it would not be a bad thing for ME to show some respect back - to the seller, but also to the maker, perhaps even to other customers (whoever they are), and ultimately to the object itself - since it is not yet mine to do with it as I please.

It happened, so I got to thinking about it for the first time, is all.

we wear gloves to show watches at my job because we dont want our hands to smudge the finish when showing it to a guest, presentation is important.
    Watches: Movado Datron

It doesn't bother me. They just want to keep their products looking good at all times.
    Regards,

Richard

I think it's a good practice. I cannot tell you how often a salesperson just sets a $5000 watch on the glass, not even gently, or knocks it over putting it in or taking it out of the case. The gloves thing would tell me, as a customer, that they really take care of the products behind the glass and I'm not going to end p finding hairline scratches all over it a week after I buy and look at it in the right light.
    Chronopolis likes this.

I think I should change the title to "Should the customer wear gloves?"

I like to see the sales assistant wearing gloves - it shows respect for the product.
    I also think the customer should wear gloves as, yes, you are buying the product, but not the product you are handling at the time. That tends to be a display model thus you should also take due care to keep it in good condition for other customers, like yourself, who wish to look at, or purchase, it.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Chronopolis likes this.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information