Should I buy this vintage Omega Seamaster?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aardvarkbark
  • 1 Post By Pbmatt

Thread: Should I buy this vintage Omega Seamaster?

Confused Should I buy this vintage Omega Seamaster?

Hello guys! I was seeking for a watch lately and then discovered this particular model for $335.00, I have never had any Omega watches before, so I don't know if the price is good, or too expensive, I am ready to spend my money in this watch, but I honestly wish your opinion about it, talking about the looking of the watch and the machine, if it seems good or not - the seller said that it was serviced in the last 2 months -

And if you know wich model of Seamaster it is it would be great to say to me.
    (sorry about my english, i'm still trainning it :P)

Here are the pictures:

Attachment 1015913Attachment 1015914Attachment 1015915Attachment 1015917Attachment 1015918Attachment 1015920Attachment 1015921Attachment 1015922

Should I buy it? :B

Best Regards from Brazil!

Banned

Re: Should I buy this vintage Omega Seamaster?

As indicated on the inside of the caseback, it is a reference # 166.037. You can check vintage omegas on their website where they have a vintage database:

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

You often need to add an '0' after the '.' so in the database this is listed as a 166.0037. It was manufactured from 1966-1970. On other web sites, you can determine that the movements with serial #s in the 27,xxx,xxx range (as stamped on the movement) were produced 1968-1969, so that matches with the production period of the watch. And the omega database tells you that this watch came with the 565 movement, as this one does. So you can determine it's very likely as it was when sold and that it hasn't been reconstructed from different parts from different eras.

The inside of the case shows some slight corrosion, but mostly around the lip/seal. I personally prefer the movement to have a clean consistent finish which this is lacking, but I've certainly seen worse. I don't think that's the original crown, but they tend to get replaced over time, so not unusual, and you can still get an original one with the omega logo on it if you want.

Whether it's at a reasonable price can be determined by checking some recent sales of similar watches on ebay. A thorough cleaning and servicing can run $350 alone; you may want to get the receipt for the recent service and confirm exactly what was done.

There are some members who frequent the omega forum below who could tell you more, especially regarding the movement based on things I don't know to look for. You may want to post this down there or ask the moderators to move this for you.
    Last edited by aardvarkbark; March 20th, 2013 at 21:04.
    davidrrg likes this.

Thank you so much aardvarkbark! I relly enjoyed all your informations, and I didn't know that Omega's website have a vintage database, that is really awesome. And that is also cool to know that the 565 movement is original and in the right place. Now the crown isn't really a problem, I will certainly buy an original one, as the an original strap. Thanks again for the help!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Should I buy this vintage Omega Seamaster?

You should definitely go to the Omega forum and post this before you buy. Those guys are great and can help you so you don't make any decisions you might regret.
    davidrrg likes this.

Ok, I'm posting there, ADMIN IS FREE TO DELETE THIS ONE

Is it just me or does the M on omega make it look like a redial?

If you collect vintage watches, or love the look of vintage watches and have a large servicing budget, then go for it. If you stumbled onto this because you were looking for a watch and thought it would be cool to have an Omega, I would steer clear of it. While vintage watches can look attractive they can be expensive and difficult to service and are more fragile than their modern peers. I would not recommend buying a vintage watch unless you have thought carefully about the added costs, inconveniences, and risks associated with owning one.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Not really on topic, but it's nice to see a watch where the movement is actually the correct size for the watch case.

But what came first, the movement or the case?!?!

to the OP the 565 is very highly regarded - seems like a good price if everything is working well. Good luck!

Thread Information