Should I keep this watch?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Should I keep this watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I keep this watch?

I went all gung-ho and overextended a bit on watch purchases when I recently realized how cool they are.

Anyway, I bought a 63C001 Bulova Accutron Chronograph with Moon Phase (Valjoux 7751), and I have the opportunity
    to return it for a full refund. I spent around $950 for it, and am torn as to whether I should just bite the bullet and keep it.

Will it hold decent value over the long term?

I don't expect to have it appreciate, but is this the type of thing that I can sell for say 65-75% of its value one day if I take care of it?

It seems like a pretty cool watch with a great complication, and also appears to be at least a little bit hard to find.

I find the lack of lume to be kind of "meh" and the black face is a bit dark, but all in all it is a beautiful timepiece.

What do you guys think I should do?
    Last edited by Bill H; January 2nd, 2013 at 05:40. Reason: Spelling

Re: Should I keep this watch?

Hi Bill,

If I were in your position I might just return it as you are showing an "on the fence feeling" for it. Unfortunately many watch brand's values drop off significantly when you walk out the AD's door except for some of the uber high end brands but there's very few of those and of those few the hit they take is pretty significant.

You're feeling the watch vibe and that Bulova is pretty nice but $950 back it your pocket could......

Your call Bill.

Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

It won't hold value over time. Even my Nomos, which this forum is all hot and bothered with, depreciated 30% and it looked brand new when I sold it. I doubt that Bulova will hold that value.

It's a cool watch, and also isn't common. If you love it, keep it. If you're 'overextended' and are feeling significant enough buyer's remorse that you know the money should be going elsewhere, return it. These are luxuries, dude. Not things to get yourself in hock over. I almost did once, it was a terrible feeling.
    watchma likes this.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My suggestion is, unless you love it, return it, especially if you can get all your money back. Whenever I have bought a timepiece, if I bond with it, the thought of selling is the furthest thing from my mind. The fact you are already thinking of its long term value speaks of your uncertainty. Also, nice though i'm sure it is, it won't be the kind of watch that will hold significant value long term. If you wanted to, once you're financially back in shape again you could always pick one up in a while, probably at the 65-70% of the purchase price you were going to sell at anyway.

I think that Bulova is a very sweet watch, and has features that you can't find on any other watch at that price point, or any price point under $7,000. But as others have said, if you have second thoughts, better to return it then. If you love a watch, the last thing you think about is resale value.

Name:  51OVsjx2BwL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  37.9 KB
    Last edited by American Eagle; January 2nd, 2013 at 06:38.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    I think that Bulova is a very sweet watch, and has features that you can't find on any other watch at that price point, or any price point under $7,000. But as others have said, if you have second thoughts, better to return it then. If you love a watch, the last thing you think about is resale value.
    I agree with you on this! How about that?! I never consider resale value with a watch. They all lose value, except the highest tiers, which I can't afford. So, my criteria for a watch is:

Do I love it?
    Does it make me smile when I strap it to my wrist?
    Do I think I can love it for a long time?
    Does it offer something my other watches don't?

That Bulova is unique and for the money is a great value. I would certainly enjoy wearing it. But, if you're questioning it so soon after buying it, it's probably not a keeper for you and since you can get a full refund, that would likely be the way for you to go. Personally, I'd keep it and enjoy it. But I'm not you.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by jt67 View Post
    My suggestion is, unless you love it, return it, especially if you can get all your money back. Whenever I have bought a timepiece, if I bond with it, the thought of selling is the furthest thing from my mind. The fact you are already thinking of its long term value speaks of your uncertainty.
    I'm definitely seeing this.
    There are a couple I got that I was terrified to wear at first, and now the idea that I would ever consider selling them is far from my mind, because they are, well, mine...

For this reason, I haven't been bothered that they now appear used, because they are; daily as a matter of fact.

You're the only one who knows how much you like it, but if you don't love it that's a good sign it's not the best watch for you.

I am going to send the watch back.
    The reason I bought it was to own an ETA 7751 with triple date and moonpase at a reasonable price.
    I should have paid more attention to style, in hindsight.
    I found another one that I really like: Zeno Men's P551-A1, and have ordered it.
    Much more my style!
    The only drawback to me is that it is only 30m WR, but I can live with that.

Thanks for the great advice, this watch just wasn't picking me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
    I am going to send the watch back.
    The reason I bought it was to own an ETA 7751 with triple date and moonpase at a reasonable price.
    I should have paid more attention to style, in hindsight.
    I found another one that I really like: Zeno Men's P551-A1, and have ordered it.
    Much more my style!
    The only drawback to me is that it is only 30m WR, but I can live with that.

Thanks for the great advice, this watch just wasn't picking me.

Bill, initially I thought great decision . Then I looked at the Zeno (nice watch btw) - er, it actually appears to be considerably more expensive than the Bulova...... !
    Last edited by jt67; January 2nd, 2013 at 21:56.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information