Should there be a criteria for calling a watch a "Limited Edition" watch?

Thread: Should there be a criteria for calling a watch a "Limited Edition" watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should there be a criteria for calling a watch a "Limited Edition" watch?

Should the watch (swiss, german, japanese, etc.) industry develop a set of criteria to determine if a watch can be considered a "limited edition" watch? I ask because I was flipping through the December issue of Watch Time and I must've seen half a dozen watches that were "limited edition" watches..some of them I don't even know why they would be considered limited - other than the fact that the particular manufacturer decided to only produce a small number of watches for that particular model. It seems (at least to me) that the marketing department likes to slap on the words "limited edition" to make the watch seem more "desirable" when it may have the opposite effect on customers because it saturates the market...

Re: Should there be a criteria for calling a watch a "Limited Edition" watch?

To me limited edition means exactly that - limited. Only a certain amount will ever be produced.

OzO

Limited edition sometimes doesn't mean that much

I remember one of the Omega 007 LE's was "limited" to 10,007 pieces

Ten thousand huh? Pretty limited...
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not to knock on very nice watches that are "limited edition", but it's a gimmick no matter who uses it , and no matter what reasons they may have to produce a limited amount.

It would be unfair to regulate it's use, IMO

lvt

"Limited" can be related to a quantity or a commemoration, or both.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

It could also mean the watch is 'limited' in it's appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation View Post
    Often the case IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation View Post
    LOL...it's true.. a lot of these these watches that are so called "limited edition" are not very appealing.

It's just everyone is getting on the "limited edition" bandwagon. It kinda dilutes the special meaning meant for "limited edition" - which to me means either a commemorative/re-issue piece, a unique piece (like the Tag Heuer V4), or a piece that shows advances watchmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by BaCaitlin View Post
    Should the watch (swiss, german, japanese, etc.) industry develop a set of criteria to determine if a watch can be considered a "limited edition" watch? I ask because I was flipping through the December issue of Watch Time and I must've seen half a dozen watches that were "limited edition" watches..some of them I don't even know why they would be considered limited - other than the fact that the particular manufacturer decided to only produce a small number of watches for that particular model. It seems (at least to me) that the marketing department likes to slap on the words "limited edition" to make the watch seem more "desirable" when it may have the opposite effect on customers because it saturates the market...
    Unfortunately, Limited Edition and the even more important sounding Numbered Limited Edition are terms that are defined by each manufacturer. Seiko is one company that has carried that concept to the extreme with numerous variations of one watch - the venerable Monster. Of course Seiko is not alone in that silliness. All the limited edition hyperbole creates the perception of a difference among watches that are otherwise notable for their similarity.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

A "limit" for limited watches ? What would the limit then be ? I think it is up to the consumer to establish his own threshold. I can accept a LE with 50, 80, 100 and even with a run of 1000 watches. It depends. My wife owns a limited Cartier "Art Deco" with a worldwide limitation of 1000 pieces, only 100 have been sold in Europe, still quite limited I think. A 1000-timepieces-Stowa LE on the other hand would be implausible regarding the annual output Stowa have. Furthermore I would like to emphasise that we should make a distinction: Special Edition (not limited and mybe with a smaller run) and Limited Edition.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information